were you privileged growing up?

I was adopted when I was 3. Lost my parents to a a drunk driver.
My adopted parents thought they could not have kids but fast forward a bit I am now the oldest of 5. Wealthy family, a cardiologist and a psychiatric. I got all the toys, trips a kid could desire. It came at a cost, my adopted dad beat me senseless. Broken limbs, black eyes, missing teeth... I left when I was 15 and never looked back.

i can't even begin to imagine how shitty of a kid you must have been

As a cis white male in good shape with 2 active parents in a predominantly white suburb I was obviously dripping with privilege. :rolleyes:

As a cis white male in good shape with 2 active parents in a predominantly white suburb I was obviously dripping with privilege. :rolleyes:

you racist dickhead

how dare you live among many others of your 'race' in some kind of community

you think other 'races' do this shit and name it something like CHINATOWN?

da fuck wrong with you

u had it very bigly tuff w/ dweasel as ur dad (probly worse than no dad) and i am glad u have been working 2 rise above the shit :sunny:

It is all relative. My parents (both from large families) purchased a house in a cheaper suburb than their brothers and sisters. So I grew up in a nice house, and was slightly more privileged than most local friends. I got to know how the hood works and was kind of attracted to some of the exciting sub cultures within it. Through circles, I was exposed to a great number of peers who didn't have it as good as me. They would regard me as a bit privileged.

Attending large family gatherings we were regarded as less privileged in a relative way by cousins and family who lived in a fancier part of town. In smaller houses in flash suburbs.

My wife and I got out of the hood, not through privilege, but from choices and effort.

Our kids are relatively privileged, and naive. They best not go to the hood. They have no idea of the shit that goes on in the wildling suburbs.

Someone should build a wall around those suburbs.

Our kids are relatively privileged, and naive. They best not go to the hood. They have no idea of the shit that goes on in the wildling suburbs.

Someone should build a wall around those suburbs.

I imagine my kids will grow up the same way...

I think it's a real catch-22 :/

On the one hand, I really don't want my kids to have the same 'character building' experiences of growing up in a shithole town that I had, part of the reason I'm happy living here is because it's a way better place to bring up kids...

On the other hand, that shit IS character building and teaches you awareness and reality and how to look after yourself, so I think people who never experience it and grow up in a privileged bubble are at a disadvantage for pretty much their whole lives

not really much you can do I guess, it's a trade off :s

Last edited:
I had the privilege of using the federally created and subsidized cable internet infrastructure installed in the late 90s for a fraction of what it would've cost for a private company to do the same thing.

I imagine my kids will grow up the same way...

I think it's a real catch-22 :/

On the one hand, I really don't want my kids to have the same 'character building' experiences of growing up in a shithole town that I had, part of the reason I'm happy living here is because it's a way better place to bring up kids...

On the other hand, that shit IS character building and teaches you awareness and reality and how to look after yourself, so I think people who never experience it and grow up in a privileged bubble are at a disadvantage for pretty much their whole lives

not really much you can do I guess, it's a trade off :s

i think kids can learn awareness by going out of their comfort zones and learning about things outside of their bubble. reading books and traveling and the attitudes of the parents goes a long way. i often see some very wealthy young children with good heads on their shoulders.

Back