Need Advice: Returned a "Lost" Dog

Bohica

Veteran XV
Veteran XX
Long Version :)emo:):

On the way home from work last Wednesday, the car in front of me slammed on his breaks, and a dog darted out from in front of it. Stray dogs are a common sight where I work (ghetto), and having a couple dogs of my own, I always feel guilty just driving on. So, this time I stopped, called to him, and opened my passenger door. He came right to me and put his paws up on the seat, so I hoisted him in. I hopped back in the driver's seat and started back on my way, and asked myself "wtf do I do now?", because every other stray I've seen just barks and runs away from you, so I had no expectation he would come and be tame enough to get in the car.

He had no collar/tags, so I drove to an afterhours clinic near my home and had him checked out and scanned. Was not microchipped (surprise). Gave him meds for fleas (just in case) and took him home. Wife took him to the vet the following day, and he turned out to have roundworm, so we gave him his first dose of dewormer (all told, spent about $200). My wife had been scanning craigslist for a 'lost dog' notice, but had not seen any. He got along ok with our dogs (other than being a bit jittery/fearful, which we attributed to an unknown amount of time spent lost in the ghetto), so we made arrangements with a local rescue to have him placed.

The night before we were going to deliver him to the rescue, my wife finds an ad on craigslist for a lost dog matching his description. There are a few grainy pictures, but it's a pretty convincing match. Posting said he had a collar/tags, but dog that I picked up did not have any. I contact the poster and ask for a few more details and better pictures to verify it's the same dog. They provide a couple details, but no pictures, and eventually we just agree to meet and she says she'll bring proof of ownership.

We meet at a police station (the husband/wife and their son, my wife and I), they produce some pictures on a phone, show me vet records and whatever else. At this point I am pretty sure it's their dog. During the conversation though, it comes out that the husband works right down the street from where I found the dog (and right down the street from where I work). Warning bells should've gone off right there, but I didn't make the connection. They thank us and offer to pay the vet bills; we decline. They thank us again and we go our separate ways.

A couple days later, I have had the chance to think about it. What are the odds the dog traveled at least 6 miles (distance from their house to where I found it) in 2 hours, managed to lose his collar/tags, crossed no less than 2 major streets and dozens of minor streets without getting hit, and of the thousands of place he could have ended up that are 6 miles from his home, miraculously turned up just down the street from the husband's place of work? Remote enough that I am now convinced that the husband dumped the dog here (I suspect without the wife's knowledge, otherwise why would they be looking for it).

My wife thinks we did what we had to do, and that I should just butt out now, but I can't shake the feeling of guilt for potentially delivering this dog right back to the person that abandoned him. I am wondering what (if anything) I should do (ie, try contacting them and offering to find the dog a home if it's not wanted).

He was a cool little dude:
dog.png

Cliffs:
- Found a dog on the way home from work.
- Was about to hand it over to a local rescue for placement when my wife found a craigslist ad w/pictures matching his description.
- Returned dog to owners
- Now suspect owners (husband) may have dumped/abandoned the dog.

I suppose on the plus side if the dog disappears again the wife will probably figure it out.

Not much you really can do, you did do the right thing by finding the owner, it'll be unfortunate if people have to keep doing it because the husband hates walking the dog.

jump to conclusions much?

that might be the case but think of every angle.

who knows maybe the dog rode in a car with the husband to work a few times and escaped the house to go to the husbands work and lost its collar on a fence or something... its not to far fetched. remember that story of the dog at the train station?

Call husband, ask if he did (but mention you don't care about his motives, just don't want to see an innocent dog getting screwed).

Figure out what to do based on his answer.

For what it's worth, though, yeah, it probably isn't this massive abandoning scheme.

i passed a roadkill on the way home from work the other night (about 1min from my house) and saw that it looked like a cat. i made it to my driveway but decided to turn around in case it WAS a cat and still alive, and/or had a nametag on it. i also wanted to salvage the body in case the owners found it, rather than letting it vaporize into the pavement.

i got back, it was a cat, and the poor little guy was definitely done for. it died in a prone/sphinx position with its head tucked down into its paws :(. i grabbed something from my trunk to pick it up and move it to the grass next to the road. the body is highly conspicuous and was still there last time i drove by, 2+ days total :\

shit pulls on my heart strings.

RIP kitty.

The dog was probably slowly robbing their house and then faked his own kidnapping in an attempt to frame his owner.

what is done is done and your suspicions do not change anything. seriously, what can you do at this point?

You and your wife are very kind to have taken care of the little guy and getting him the treatment he needed. Even more kind to decline reimbursement.

Hindsight is 20/20, move on

Seriously, how often does a dog "lose" his collar. Owner took the collar off, kicked it out the door before he got to work. This kinda shit breaks my heart.

Allthough serious props for saving the dog the first time.

Sounds to me like they lost their dog and you gave it back. Very cool of you to pick up the vet bill, that should get you out of a few months of purgatory.

The hypothesis that he was intentionally abandoned doesn't sound very plausible to me.

Seriously, how often does a dog "lose" his collar. Owner took the collar off, kicked it out the door before he got to work. This kinda shit breaks my heart.

Allthough serious props for saving the dog the first time.

all the time... sometimes they are too loose and get caught on something and the dog slips out... which if the dog escaped sounds like it could have got caught on a fence. other dogs chew em off sometimes as well. my bigger dog has chewed off our smaller dogs before.

all the time... sometimes they are too loose and get caught on something and the dog slips out... which if the dog escaped sounds like it could have got caught on a fence. other dogs chew em off sometimes as well. my bigger dog has chewed off our smaller dogs before.

Wow, I take it back. I have honestly never seen or heard of it.

Back