Considering buying a camping van

iu

That looks like a lot of cheap shitty material used to fit that out, why is it 60 grand? But yeah you should probably wait for advice from Juggs before talking the plunge. And NGFM of course.

Anybody gone this route before? Plan on spending a few summers on the road. Any advice appreciated. Currently scoping this one out:

2019 ProMaster 1500 Professionally built conversion ConversionTrader.com

My daughter and her friend bought an old 1999 GMC safari conversion van for this purpose a couple years ago and did just that. Put a bed in it and a second battery and switch I got from a local marine shop so Probably spent 6 months on road starting in Massachusetts and ending in California. Van was $3500 and they sold it for $7900 in San Jose then my daughter flew home. Her friend decided to stay and is waitressing out there.

California’s housing issues makes sleeper vans a lot more profitable I guess.

I was thinking of doing something like that... then i thought how many nights would (insert cost of vehicle) buy at a hotel? That cured me of that idea. :lol:

I just camp like I always have done much more fun. Spent 2 weeks in Mass and was able to fish in 6 states from that 1 point :)

I have surf bum friends that have turned their vans into campers. My old surfer neighbor did the best job by following an online plan for a dodge van... I mean if you have the 60k go for it and relax I guess. But you could build out your own with what you want for a lot less.

This has a full size shower and cost 40,000.99. (2014 so slightly more expensive today) truck not included

IMG-20130613-153212-275.jpg

I would get a pop up camper or a mini trailer before I would buy a conversion.

T@G-Boondock1-copy.jpg

10 grand.

s-l640.jpg

13 grand

Last edited:
This has a full size shower and cost 40,000.99. (2014 so slightly more expensive today) truck not included

[IMzG]https://i.postimg.cc/rygWYPPR/IMG-20130613-153212-275.jpg[/IMG]

[IMzG]https://blog-assets.thedyrt.com/uploads/2019/03/T@G-Boondock1-copy.jpg[/IMG]

10 grand.

[IMzG]https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/ihcAAOSwBq9dqgnv/s-l640.jpg[/IMG]

13 grand

These are okay solutions for destination camping, but not really suitable if he's doing a cross-country thing without a specific itinerary. People who do the van thing just park at Wal Mart lots to spend nights... can't do that shit with a 40' trailer or a popup camper.

Most people that have had a 5th wheel have told me they prefer the full RV instead. My parents had the Mercedes RV and that thing was freaking sweet. Not too huge but lot of comfort and cool features with full shower, shitter, kitchen etc.

I have surf bum friends that have turned their vans into campers. My old surfer neighbor did the best job by following an online plan for a dodge van... I mean if you have the 60k go for it and relax I guess. But you could build out your own with what you want for a lot less.

The base price of the van with zero options is $35k. I have no construction experience and no tools etc... I've found plenty of beaters in the $40k range that I'm also considering.

I was thinking of doing something like that... then i thought how many nights would (insert cost of vehicle) buy at a hotel? That cured me of that idea. :lol:

I just camp like I always have done much more fun. Spent 2 weeks in Mass and was able to fish in 6 states from that 1 point :)

I considered this. A cheap hotel room runs a little over a hundred bucks a night so for the summer I'm looking at about $10k in hotel rooms. Thats just for the summer and I have no asset to show for it. I figured I could sell the van for half of what I paid for it when I'm done with it.

Lastly, hotel rooms are always in concrete parking lots with no nature and I still have to pay for car costs to get to each hotel.

IMG-20130613-153212-275.jpg

T@G-Boondock1-copy.jpg

10 grand.

s-l640.jpg

13 grand

The truck pulling it costs $60k. So you are looking at over $100k for a trailer that I have to haul all over the place and would be a total bitch off road. Thanks though.

Most people that have had a 5th wheel have told me they prefer the full RV instead. My parents had the Mercedes RV and that thing was freaking sweet. Not too huge but lot of comfort and cool features with full shower, shitter, kitchen etc.

That would be sweet but you are looking in the $100k plus range easily. Nice ones are in the $200 - $300k range.

Back