Considering buying a camping van

These are okay solutions for destination camping, but not really suitable if he's doing a cross-country thing without a specific itinerary. People who do the van thing just park at Wal Mart lots to spend nights... can't do that shit with a 40' trailer or a popup camper.

Bingo!

People who do the van thing just park at Wal Mart lots to spend nights...

That’s what my daughter and friend did. They also got planet fitness memberships for the showers and workouts.

I was pretty jealous I didn’t think about doing this right out of High School.

them mercedes conversion

serveimage

vans real nice

serveimage

everyone around here has one tricked out and ready to baja

does it get better than this?

Sportsmobile camper van can sleep a family of 6 - Curbed

i am not sure

ewe...damn yuppies must be rich around here then

most us made (dodge, ford, even chevy) conversion vans have major issues with transmissions drive train etc

family friends owned several and not sure one didn't break down within first couple years

each paid around 60k for them and the next few years getting it serviced every other month

not sure if they fixed that but considering this generality is for 30+ years experience i doubt it

i love the idea of nice truck plus tow hitch. that way i can leave the sleeping quarters behind and go places it has a harder time reaching. or just straight up living out of the back of a 4x4 truck tbh.

Last edited:
ewe...damn yuppies must be rich around here then

most us made (dodge, ford, even chevy) conversion vans have major issues with transmissions drive train etc

family friends owned several and not sure one didn't break down within first couple years

each paid around 60k for them and the next few years getting it serviced every other month

not sure if they fixed that but considering this generality is for 30+ years experience i doubt it

i love the idea of nice truck plus tow hitch. that way i can leave the sleeping quarters behind and go places it has a harder time reaching. or just straight up living out of the back of a 4x4 truck tbh.

Thanks for the advice

Yep. Overlanding looks like mad fun. I'm collecting parts to fit an old Jeep Cherokee for overlanding now.

i own a 2004 sprinter, converted. 170 wheel base, solar, fridge, sink, queen bed, storage for days, insulated, AC and heat. its seriously amazing.

it is all dependent on your needs. do you want to do 4x4 off roading? stealth? big plus's to vans is you don't have to adhere to trailer speed limits. and generally better mileage. the sprinters get better gas mileage. mine is 23 hwy. where most dodges are lower in the mid to high teens.

after a bout a year or research, the best bang for your buck over a 10 year time period would be the ford transit conversion. larger, ok milage, but low service interval cost. they were a bit out of my price range when i found a killer deal on the sprinter.

These are okay solutions for destination camping, but not really suitable if he's doing a cross-country thing without a specific itinerary. People who do the van thing just park at Wal Mart lots to spend nights... can't do that shit with a 40' trailer or a popup camper.

I readily admit not knowing anything about the Walmart parking lot crowd

Back