Write-up On Midair (giant wall of text)

Note to Admins: Could I get the quote/post made by user "blackpeople" removed so that people can see my posts correctly? Thx.

Write-up On Midair

By The Pumpkin King

The Name:

Spoiler

What was Starsiege: Tribes:

Spoiler

What is Midair... really:

Spoiler

What Midair is not:

Spoiler

Paper Scissors Stone:

Spoiler

The low skill ceiling:

Spawn with Armor and Weapons*
Gimped Shield Pack
Smooth Terrain (No Jagged Terrain)
Unimportant Generators
Fast and Easy Discs
No Hand Grenades While Shooting
More Air Control
Built In Happy Flag
Very Low Offensive Base Control
Weaker Turrets
Heavy On Flag
Lack of skidding

Pretty much every major decision they made with this game was designed to lower the skill ceiling, and reduce the skill gap between new players and old ones. It's a very smart marketing decision. The other route they could have gone, segregating servers by experience level, wouldn't have been nearly as successful as convincing newer players that this is a game to be enjoyed. Weakening high level players, and limiting their capabilities allows newer players to come in and feel like they can hang, thus bolstering their desire to play the game and become more involved.

I'm all for noobie friendly games. I'm all for attracting newer players. In fact, it's a part I thought Tribes was very weak at, so it's great that they were thinking about this. But in my opinion, they went about it in the completely wrong way. They essentially ruined the game for high level players. They catered almost completely to new players, and ignored the long time veterans completely.

The decision they made to drastically lower the skill ceiling makes me think of someone changing the game of soccer to "Hey, no running. Everyone has to walk now to make it fair." And dictating rules that make it so "everyone can succeed." "Let's just remove pitching in baseball, and have everyone bat from a tee instead to make it fair." "Let's change all the pieces on a chess board to pawns, to make it fair for players that aren't Grandmasters." All decisions like that do is make the game no fun for anyone, and ultimately cause everyone to stop playing. For a time, there will be people who get super excited, because they can now move as fast as some of the best soccer players in the world, but their fun will not last and they will stop playing soon after they realize the game has lost the spirit of whatever made it great.

Because of decisions that follow this line of "make it fair" thinking, player retention will be very low. The moment people start realizing that the game has no depth and never did, they will just go play whatever other hugely popular game is dominating the market, because if you are going to play a game without depth, you may as well play a super popular one that has a large following. The sole and unique reason to play Tribes was for that enhanced depth of gameplay, and thus there will be no hook or addiction that keeps people playing in the long-term.

Spawning with gear -

Spoiler

Smooth Terrain (No Jagged Terrain) -

Spoiler

Unimportant Generators -

Spoiler

The disc -

Spoiler

No Simultaneous Hand Grenades -

Spoiler

More Air Control -

In Midair, you have more control over your avatar and the way you fall. I'm not really even sure how I feel about this. I just felt like T1 was totally fine and not in need of massive "corrections" for it to be playable and fun. Just more reinventing the wheel.

Built in HaPpY Flag -

Spoiler

Base Control -

Spoiler

Weaker Turrets -

Spoiler

Heavy on Flag -

Spoiler

Lack of skidding -

Spoiler

Voice commands:

Spoiler

The User Interface:

I think they did a great job with the UI. It has a huge icon telling you when you are holding the flag. It's quite idiot proof. There is another icon showing that you have been detected by pulse sensors. Everything seems really straight-forward, easy to understand, and just really solid overall. Very good UI in this game.

Homing Missiles:

Spoiler

Packs:

Spoiler

The skiing:

Spoiler

Depth Perception:

Spoiler

Lack of Freedom -

Spoiler

Weapon Design:

Spoiler

The Buildings and Base Architecture -

So, the base architecture is really great in this game. They have a lot of unique structures and shapes that are really fun to navigate. Whoever designed them did a great job. I've never played in bases like these, and they are new, unique, and refreshing. They don't get put to full use, since the bases are unimportant in the game overall, but they did a great job on them for sure. I'm not talking about map design, but the raw buildings that are placed into the maps. They encourage very fun gameplay. There are atmospheric tubes, corridors, generator rooms, and all sorts of cool stuff that just looks really great.

Vehicles:

Spoiler

Last edited:
Write-up On Midair

By The Pumpkin King

The Name:

Perhaps the single best decision Archetype made was to name their game Midair. The name is strong, clever, and great all across the board. The term "Midair" or "MA" for short was first coined in 1999, when people landed disc shots on each other in midair. Back then, it was rare to see such impressive shots getting landed often, and they were quite a big deal when they happened, especially in competitive matches. Players, after landing midairs, would taunt, brag, cheer in excitement, or if they were great at the game and made such shots regularly, act like nothing happened. Nowadays midairs are incredibly common, but the positive stigma behind the word remains.

For anyone that played Tribes, seeing the word "Midair" would invoke feelings of joy, success, winning, excitement, awe (in some cases), and heavy nostalgia. There are few words that I can think of that scream "Tribes" more than Midair. Using a word like "midair" is enough to tug on the emotional strings of someone that played Tribes. It is a name that people that played Tribes could easily unite behind.

Simultaneously, for anyone that has never played Tribes before, they would see that word and think of flying, floating, excitement, skydiving, extreme sports, adrenaline, or other such things. Not only does the name strike at old Tribes veterans, but new players as well might see the name and think "Oh wow, I've never played an FPS that happens in midair before" or "Wow, you can fly in this game" and become curious. Thus the name Midair is a multi-pronged attack that would invoke positive feelings in both the old and the new.

I compliment Archetype on their selection of this fantastic name.

What was Starsiege: Tribes:

Tribes 1 was a game where skill, good decisions, fast thinking, and wise team strategy was heavily rewarded with success. It was a very high skill and severely punishing game, and that was what made it great. It was not a game about dumbing things down, making things "easier" (especially for newer players), or "evening the playing field", so that everyone could have their moment. Making even minor mistakes were often severely punishing. Missing your shot by a hair, or missing your ski route by just a little bit, often resulted with the enemy team putting points on the board.

Tribes 1 was very much so similar to a sport, where there is a massive skill gap between a "random average joe" player and a player that is considered "elite." One powerful player could influence the game to a very high degree. The game allowed for that, due to its mechanics and the way it was designed. It is a core feature of its greatness. The depth, intensity, and unforgiving nature of the game is what made us all love it so much. I think that people like sports for similar reasons.

When you look at many of the worlds most enjoyed games, they all bare the same mark. Chess, Go, Professional Sports, Olympic Events, and a long list of other enjoyed games all show this massive performance discrepancy between high and low level players. The ability to learn, grow, adapt and evolve one's ability is there because these activities allow for it. In comparison, Tic-Tac-Toe is a highly limited game that most people don't play very much, because its gameplay is shallow and devoid of depth. The heavy constrictions and limitations on what you can do in Tic-Tac-Toe leave it feeling boring, uninteresting, and not worthy of exploration or extended gameplay.

Tribes was a game where the skill ceiling was so high, it gave the player so much room to breath. You could explore new ideas, new gameplay, and people could keep learning, improving, and growing stronger. This is a highly important aspect for any good game. As the months went by in Tribes, people just kept learning and learning and getting better and better. This process would go on for years. In this area, Starsiege: Tribes hit it out of the park.

What is Midair... really:

Midair is Diet Caffeine Free Tribes Light. It is the World of Warcraft to your Everquest. It is the Tic-Tac-Toe to your Chess. It is a hollow shell of the original game designed to draw in new and casual players that don't know what Tribes is or how to play it. The potent depth and skill ceiling that Tribes was notorious for is more or less removed, and what is left is simply the outer husk caked over in glitter in hopes of drawing in either veterans that might not know any better (they don't exist), or more importantly, new players.

You wouldn't think that Tic-Tac-Toe boards could make a lot of money, but they really can. Tic-Tac-Toe is a game that you can teach people quickly, show them that it is fun, sell them your board, get your money, and get out of there before the customer realizes that it is useless junk, and only enjoyable for a very limited time. In contrast, it might be far more difficult to sell a Go board. Many people might glance at you attempting to explain the rules of Go and say "This looks too difficult," or "I don't understand" or "Wow, I got beaten so badly" and walk away before a purchase can be made, though the Go board has far more value overall. A Go board has massive replayability that can be enjoyed for a lifetime.

I believe that Archetype saw that there was more money to be made selling Tic-Tac-Toe boards then Go boards. They designed their game with the intent of it being financially productive, and that meant ignoring all of the Go players, the long-time veterans of Tribes, and making a game for new players.

Making a game for new players means adding a leveling up system, a weapon/item unlock system, vehicles, tutorials, super cool packs, and so on and so forth. It also means removing the heavy-depth elements in order to lower the skill ceiling that allows higher level players to do great and amazing things, so that newer players feel unintimidated upon checking it out. It means simplifying everything as much as you can, so that people can understand the concept of the game quickly. It is designed to be as unabrasive to newer players as possible. It rejects, strangles, and chokes the life out of any high level gamer looking to invest time into a game with heavy depth.

What Midair is not:

Midair is not a hardcore FPS designed to stimulate competitive gamers or old Tribes vets, whether you played 1999 base-mod, LT, or any other competitive game, this game will leave you feeling hungry and unsatisfied for sure. It has loot crates and a progression system designed to give newer players the feeling of progress and rope them into continuous play. It has vehicles designed with the intent of titillating simple minds. It is the type of game that you would join in every so often so you can bounce around, pew pew pew, whatever, and then logoff after just messing around and having a few laughs. Anyone that had high hopes or was looking to park down on this game is going to be greatly disappointed.

Taking the opposite approach of Starsiege: Tribes, Midair reduces all of that nasty impact of your mistakes. It stays back its hand and instead of spanking your bottom red, puts you in timeout. Did you just die? No problem, you can just respawn in 5 seconds with a full suit of armor and goodies. Did the enemy just take down your generators? No problem, just respawn closeby as a fully shielded heavy and take your base back in no time, or better yet, just spawn with a remote inventory station, deploy it, and nobody will even need to retake the base. Did the enemy just kill you and take your flag? No problem, just respawn in 4 seconds with a sniper loadout and take him right out of the sky. Oh, did they get away with the flag? No worries, the flag carrier can't hide from you as you can see a big giant flag icon guiding you to his/her location. No thinking required, just ski towards that flag carrier and pew pew pew. Easy easy easy... Tribes Casual.

Paper Scissors Stone:

The shield pack in Tribes 1 was a beautiful thing. It took so much skill to use and master. People that got truly good at it could block midair discs with it midair, among other things. They could use it to punish the enemy team for making bad decisions. A good player could use the shield pack to keep the enemy base down, and providing a huge advantage for their team. This was something that brought a great amount of depth to the game. For many, using the shield pack as your primary tool to destroy the enemy base and kill a boatload of enemy players was one of the most fun aspects of the game.

Archetype decided that it didn't like the way that the shieldpack was designed in the original game. They changed it to make it so that blasters can penetrate through shields. Now, this isn't a big issue in the game really because no one uses the blaster, and because of the way that Midair is structured overall with being able to spawn with armor and weapons, but you can see where the direction of Archetype's thinking is going. This is a sort of paper, scissors, stone type of gameplay.

The "Paper scissors stone" approach to games, which is never fun, basically becomes "Oh, you chose shieldpack? Well I choose blaster, which counters your shieldpack." It makes me think of Hearthstone where an aggressive deck can counter a slow one by killing it before it even gets started. The emphasis of the fight is on the weapon choice rather than the actual combat. It nullifies the reward and satisfaction of having mastered certain skills, and helps to "even the playing field", which ruins the fun of games. You can see this paper scissors stone type gameplay with the flares and how they counter missiles, and how missiles counter vehicles, and so on and so forth. It's just this clear cut, "I choose dis to win against dis" that just seems to dumb things down so hard.

Why not have disc do double damage against anyone wearing an energy pack? Or how about the grenades do more damage to anyone using medium armor? Or how about if your name is Jim, you suffer additional chaingun damage? It's just silly. There is absolutely no reason that there should be one single lone weapon that nullifies the advantage of one particular pack. This is a bad decision and this school of thought leads to other bad decisions that cause un-fun gameplay, like the homing missle vs flare counterplay.

You will also notice where that nerf lands. The tool that allows strong players to do powerfully influential things, in this case the shield pack, a tool that takes great skill to use, is being put under attack with this decision. The exact same thing happens time and time again in the same exact places. Many of the tools and aspects that allowed high skilled players to excel in Starsiege: Tribes are all under attack in Midair. The disc-jump is another great example of this.

Archetype does not want veterans walking over the newer players too badly, because that is not good for business, so they strike at the tools, methods, and aspects where that occurs most so that newer players have a less abrasive experience and develop a desire to invest money into Midair. Unfortunately, that is taking all of the tools and aspects that created the most fun for the old players of Tribes. Since they can all remember their contrasting experience with the old Tribes game, try as they might, they will never reach a comparable level of satisfaction playing Midair.

The low skill ceiling:

Spawn with Armor and Weapons*
Gimped Shield Pack
Smooth Terrain (No Jagged Terrain)
No disc jumping
Unimportant Generators
Fast and Easy Discs
No Hand Grenades While Shooting
More Air Control
Built In Happy Flag
Very Low Offensive Base Control
Weaker Turrets
Heavy On Flag
Lack of skidding

Pretty much every major decision they made with this game was designed to lower the skill ceiling, and reduce the skill gap between new players and old ones. It's a very smart marketing decision. The other route they could have gone, segregating servers by experience level, wouldn't have been nearly as successful as convincing newer players that this is a game to be enjoyed. Weakening high level players, and limiting their capabilities allows newer players to come in and feel like they can hang, thus bolstering their desire to play the game and become more involved.

I'm all for noobie friendly games. I'm all for attracting newer players. In fact, it's a part I thought Tribes was very weak at, so it's great that they were thinking about this. But in my opinion, they went about it in the completely wrong way. They essentially ruined the game for high level players. They catered almost completely to new players, and ignored the long time veterans completely.

The decision they made to drastically lower the skill ceiling makes me think of someone changing the game of soccer to "Hey, no running. Everyone has to walk now to make it fair." And dictating rules that make it so "everyone can succeed." "Let's just remove pitching in baseball, and have everyone bat from a tee instead to make it fair." "Let's change all the pieces on a chess board to pawns, to make it fair for players that aren't Grandmasters." All decisions like that do is make the game no fun for anyone, and ultimately cause everyone to stop playing. For a time, there will be people who get super excited, because they can now move as fast as some of the best soccer players in the world, but their fun will not last and they will stop playing soon after they realize the game has lost the spirit of whatever made it great.

Because of decisions that follow this line of "make it fair" thinking, player retention will be very low. The moment people start realizing that the game has no depth and never did, they will just go play whatever other hugely popular game is dominating the market, because if you are going to play a game without depth, you may as well play a super popular one that has a large following. The sole and unique reason to play Tribes was for that enhanced depth of gameplay, and thus there will be no hook or addiction that keeps people playing in the long-term.

Spawning with gear -

This hits the top of my list by far. It basically breaks the entire game. It poops on every aspect of what Tribes was and what it was based on. Tribes was a game where you really felt attached to the world around you. It accomplished this by uniting you and your teammates around a common environment and objective. You and all the people on your team were connected to the same fate, and if no one decided to defend your base, your whole team was going to suffer.

In Tribes base, this feeling of attachment to your gaming environment was achieved by tying your base defense to your ability to enjoy cool weapons, armor types, and gear. If you didn't defend, you would have no decent weapons, no packs, no armor, and no turrets for the rest of the game, which was a massive disadvantage. This built a sort of social aspect, a sense of a destructible and real environment, and a comradery and a desire to work together towards a common goal with your team. You could actually see the real consequences of your failures in the form of shattered base turrets, broken sensors, and your base crawling with "bad guys" from the enemy team. It invoked the feeling of "Oh no you didn't", when you saw that the enemy had taken over your territory. That was "your" base and you were determined to reclaim it.

In Midair, that feeling of attachment to your base is not there, because you don't need your base to acquire weapons and gear. Being able to spawn with gear also breaks various other aspects of the game, because the rest of the game has not been redesigned to compensate for this new feature. If you change this major core aspect of Tribes, without changing the rest, it is a game-balance disaster. What it causes is glaringly overpowered and underpowered aspects that suck the fun out of the game.

It would be alright to allow players to spawn with certain weapons if you were going to create a totally different game. The Tribes 1 LT mod in many ways achieved the goal, in that it went full out in the opposite direction. It abandoned the generator objective 100%, and dictated the flag as the atmospheric and sole objective around which players united towards a common goal. That is a proven model and a proven method of gameplay that players enjoyed for so many years. There is nothing wrong with allowing players to spawn with weapons, as long as you're going to redesign the rest of the game to match along with that.

In contrast Midair hasn't really been able to decide which route it wants to go, and comes across as an entirely awkward mutated child of Tribes. They should have just left out the generators entirely, or gone with the 50/50 split like Tribes 1 base. The strange 80/20 split that they went for just isn't fun. The base destruction aspect of the game feels really unrewarding and a pointless nuisance. Teams are better off not even attacking the enemy generator and focusing exclusively on the flags. A strong flag capper or defender will influence the game far more than anyone defending or attacking the generator.

Smooth Terrain (No Jagged Terrain) -

One of the best parts of T1, was again, its unforgiving nature. Getting punished by rocks, crags, and dips that steered you wrong was part of the great fun of the game. Why? Because when you finally hit a route perfectly, you felt it so much more. It was highly rewarding. When you "succeeded" you noticed it dramatically. It gave a sense of euphoria upon success.

It also gave you lots of fun little nooks and crannies to hide behind and jook your enemies with. On top of that, it was a more imperfect world or environment that felt more realistic in my opinion. The jagged terrain was a pretty essential part of Tribes that made it great. You had to really think about your position, how to approach things, and you had to contemplate your course of action more. Midair, in contrast, you can really just "wing it" permanently and you'll be fine. You can just ski and very rarely ever will you mess it up. Failure rarely ever occurs at all if ever. The discrepency is more just between "success" and "higher success". In Tribes 1, if you hit a bump wrong, you went into a dead stop and you were mince-meat for any defender nearby, or you would botch your route and have to start a new one.

Some might argue that having to learn routes was a negative aspect of the game, but I disagree. It was part of the journey of discovery. When you saw a player with a unique route, it was really cool to watch. You'd be asking that player "Hey, could you show me that?" Often high level players wouldn't use their best routes in public games, as to not give away their secrets. Sometimes, certain routes would become named synonymously with the unique individual that was first publicly seen using it. In Midair, that's pretty much all gone. Anyone that learns how to ski decently can find acceptable routes and ski around these maps with little trouble.

Disc Jumping -

The disc jump was one of the coolest aspects of Tribes. Being able to sacrifice a large portion of your health for speed was a dangerous gambit that could pay off huge dividends. It also increased the skill discrepancy between players. Lower level players often made bad decisions with disc jumps, and would end up killing themselves when they could have lived a lot longer had they opted not to. Stronger players could disc jump and create "wow moments" that Tribes players lived to see. It takes skill to know when and where to disc jump. Disc jumping was a calculated risk move that added so much depth to the game. Archetype just opted to remove it.

In Starsiege: Tribes, players would use disc-jumps for so many hugely important aspects of the game, capping, chasing, positioning, Heavy On Flags trying to get back up on the flag in a jiffy, etc. Being able to accelerate quickly allowed a newly spawned player to chase after an enemy flag carrier, which led to really fun and exciting gameplay, and was important for the flow of the game overall. Cappers would use disc-jumps to reach very high velocities of speed when grabbing the flag, increasing the difficulty for defenders attempting to stop them. When a capper did this, and grabbed the flag at a really high speed, it was simply awesome. Pretty much every aspect of the disc-jump was great. No idea why anyone would want to put an end to it, unless they recognized it as a threat to the comfort level of newer players, or they were never good at using it themselves, and envied the fact that other players could use it to great effect.

Disc-jumping was one of the most core aspects of Tribes. It has been removed in Midair. That should give anyone that ever played Tribes pause to think. This very core aspect was not honored by the developers. Nobody with a deep understanding and respect for the game of Tribes would ever make such a decision.

There are some things that cannot be removed, like the disc-launcher. Doing that would just be too blatantly obvious, cause too much contrast between the old and the new game, and serve as a huge disruption. People would instantly say "Hey, where is the disc launcher?" However, disc-jumping is more subtle, and Archetype was able to remove disc-jumping without people even complaining too much about it, which was kind of amazing.

Through observation of their game mechanics, one can ascertain that Archetype is by no means interested in preserving the spirit of the original game.

Unimportant Generators -

One big reason that this game isn't anything like Tribes 1, is because of the generators. You don't even really need to keep them up at all. In Midair, everyone can just spawn with any weapons they want, so who cares if the generators go down? Nobody does. If the gens go down it takes like 5-10 seconds longer to respawn, which is a light slap on the wrist. This pretty much destroys the whole core dynamic that Tribes was, which was a dichotomy between two major objectives, flag and generators. Meanwhile, this also kills it for LT players too, because they would rather just focus on skiing, discing, passing, capping, chasing, and teamplay, and all your vehicles, turrets, packs, and generators are only a giant distraction away from that.

In Tribes 1, people took base defense so seriously, because losing the base could mean losing the entire game. Everyone always yelled for the turret farmer to have first dibs on suiting up. It made the game feel so real. It felt like you were surrounded by an environment that could be effected, and actually mattered. The intensity of the requisite of your team holding together, and defending well, really got the blood pumping. In Midair, there is no such adrenaline rush. There is no feeling of intensity at all. The world around you doesn't matter. Midair seems to be very confused about what it wants to be. Queue Zoolander saying "Who am I?"

The disc -

Man, that disc in Starsiege: Tribes was so addictive, when you landed a shot, it rocked them with loud basey "THUMP" and sent their corpse flying in whatever direction. Now you hear a pitiful waterballon-esque splash that is devoid of impact. It feels like I'm pelting people with glowing marshmallows.

The disc is faster now. It's much easier to hit people if you have strong aim, especially from longer distances. That being said the splash damage is reduced. To me, it really goes against what the disc was. The disc was mostly a weapon that you used to punish people that touched the ground. If you knew they were running out of jets you would bust that thing out and get ready to wreck them. You also used it to control their position. You could toss a hand grenade and then disc them on the other side to push them towards it, that was one of the funnest things for me to do in the game. Now the disc is more similar to the blaster. You can land midair shots super easily, and if you land a disc on the ground next to where they are, the splash barely tickles them. It also doesn't have its "push", so you can't use it to control the enemy's position as much. The disc is just less fun all across the board for me.

With the enhanced speed on the disc, newer players are going to have an easier time landing shots with it.

No Simultaneous Hand Grenades -

In Tribes, you could throw hand grenades while shooting at people. It was awesome. Midair removes this, lessening your deadly potential to do awesome things. Just one more thing they did to limit the cool stuff that you could do in Tribes.

Why are hand grenades even there? Just make it a weapon in the 4th weapon slot. That's really all it is.

In the original game, you could control the distance at which you threw the grenade. This is another thing that Midair removed to lessen the depth of the game.

That being said, the hand grenades are pretty fun and feel good. I like them. I just wish I could throw them while shooting regular weapons.

More Air Control -

In Midair, you have more control over your avatar and the way you fall. I'm not really even sure how I feel about this. I just felt like T1 was totally fine and not in need of massive "corrections" for it to be playable and fun. Just more reinventing the wheel.

Built in HaPpY Flag -

This is one of those things that might seem like it is super smart, but totally isn't. Giving people cheats so that they can't cheat? Ok, let's give everyone auto-aim too, and speed hack. Let's just code all these cheats into the game so that nobody can ever break the game, because it's already broken. Let's allow steroids into professional sports and the Olympics too while we are at it.

In Tribes, the hunt for the flag carrier was exhilarating. Part of being a good chaser was knowing where the enemy flag carrier would go before he went there. Cappers had a lot of freedom and they could double back, or move in unexpected directions, and players were forced to try and intuit this. Now, with the permanent HaPpY flag up, it leaves them pretty naked and predictable. It's very easy to tell which way they are going and where they will go next. So much of the excitement and thrill of the chase is just gone, completely ripped out of the game.

There is a reason it was a "cheat" in Tribes 1, and that is because it doesn't belong in the game.

I realize there are many people that will challenge me on this saying, "It's no longer a cheat if it's implemented as a feature" such as Overwatch's Soldier 76 and his auto-aim ultimate.

Just ask yourself, what is more fun and challenging?

If you played Hide-And-Seek and you had a device showing everyone's location, would you really enjoy that? How boring can you get? "I found you... Again! Wow! So fun!"

You don't even have to think, just line up cursor with icon and press forward. It couldn't be any more dumbed down. It raises the skill floor so much.

In the original game, a very sneaky player could pay massive dividends for his team by hiding in a clever spot. It lead to some really epic moments. Then there were other players who would ski around the map in a match, maintaining a speed fast enough that made them difficult to kill. Others would duel outside, or "turtle" in their base with heavy armor and shield pack. There were so many options. That magic of variety is gone now. You wouldn't dream of skiing near the enemy base with a big fat flag icon strapped to your chest, and you can't hide either, so now you are pretty much forced to stay at your base. It's very constricting.

I believe they thought this would help keep the flow of the game moving by reducing the amount of flag stand-offs. I always thought that flag stand-offs were a unique and fun aspect of the original game. They never bothered me, though I do think they can be excessive and do need to be addressed. Seeing a match where after the first capture, a team tries to turtle for 18 minutes to win the match seems like something that should be discouraged through gameplay if possible, but I disagree with the means by which they attempted this because I do not think it is fun always knowing where the flags are.

Base Control -

Back in the day, with high level ability, you could take over the enemy base and hold it for lengthy periods of time. Some of the bases had no respawn points inside, and only one entrance in and out, like on the famous map Raindance. A strong attacker had a long list of tools at his or her disposal that could be used to punish the enemy team for not defending well. This could cripple the enemy team severely, weakening them greatly over all, and allow for a swift defeat by means of chaining flag captures. The dichotomy of the dual objective based game was one of the most interesting and cool parts of Tribes. In midair, this aspect is almost completely gone.

The reason I say "almost" is that destroying the generators does provide a light slap on the wrist to the enemy team. It's just that the punishment is so super light, that it robs all satisfaction and reward of anyone that would have the inclination to destroy the enemy base. Furthermore, the game is designed so that bases cannot be held for lengthy periods of time, which pushes it even further in the direction of being pointless and unrewarding. The bases are mostly just there for show. Any remotely intelligent individual playing and analyzing this game will quickly realize this.

The bases are mostly just glitter, fluff, and all for show. They really don't do anything but provide structures to fight around. Actually, in my opinion, they contribute negatively, because I'd just rather have them all gone. If the game is just going to be about the flags, then make it about the flags. Just remove inventory stations all together and go LT mod. LT mod is very easily graspable and understandable, and it makes sense. The Midair base mod makes no sense at all, and is very poorly designed. As a game, it comes across as confused.

Weaker Turrets -

In the original game, the base turrets influenced the field so heavily. A great example of this is Dangerous Crossings. If you didn't remove the two indoor turrets (sentinels), the enemy team could easily claim victory over you. Those things shredded light armored players that aren't moving at top speed. They do so much work for you. In Raindance, the rocket turret could wreck capper after capper after capper if it stayed up. This forces strategy and planning and adds depth of gameplay, as the enemy team has to decide how they will overcome this objective in order to weaken the enemy defense and grab the enemy flag more easily. If a defender decided to dedicate themselves to repairing that rocket turret, it was often highly effective, as the rocket turret will shoot any oncoming attacker that is jetting a lot. The rocket turret does a lot of work for you, just like the sentinels. In midair, the base turret does almost no work for you. It's boring and should just be removed.

Heavy on Flag -

Because of the decision to allow spawning in full gear, Heavy On Flag can just come running right back to the flag almost immediately after death, with full health and ammo. A good HOF can be a real giant pain in the butt to kill. After you do all that work, its probably just going to be right back on the flag in 5-12 seconds. Not much of a window for capping. On maps without generators, the HoF is going to be off the flag for only around 6 seconds upon death. That feels really icky. This is a great way of illustrating how when you change one major aspect of the game, other aspects of the game break. You basically have an irremovable heavy on flag. This is in heavy contrast to the original game, where killing the enemy HoF could mean that there was no more HoF for the rest of the entire game if you kept the enemy base down.

Lack of skidding -

I don't think there is a term for letting up on the space bar in Tribes, so I'm calling it "skidding" for the time being.

In the original game, you could sometimes adjust your position to great positive effect by letting up on the space bar. It would increase the friction on the ground and it was a really cool aspect of the game, because you could adjust your route, speed, and position through use of this. Now, when you let up on the space bar, you just stop. This also falls under the category of reinventing the wheel. I believe these changes were made to simplify things for newer players. Being able to stop on a dime is another way the game weakens the punishment for your mistakes and makes things easier for new players while simultaneously punishing high level players, limiting their ability to ski as well as they could in the original game.

There are many times when I'm playing the game, and I realize I'm going to miss my route, because I can't "skid". I'm forced to hold down spacebar and see my fate unfold before me, slamming into things I never intended to, or veering off in a direction I didn't want to, all because the game removes the allowance of re-adjusting. So many changes like this seem to be directed at lowering the skill ceiling and limiting stronger players.

Lack of jump button -

Just more evidence that the developers are totally up to the task of re-inventing the wheel.

Has anyone ever played a first-person-shooter and thought "Gee, this jump button really sucks, sure hope they can remove that in the next patch!" Yeah, that's a lifetime first for me to even contemplate.

The days of Wolfenstein 3d and Doom are long gone. You don't need to feel locked to the ground anymore. The lack of a jump button just really invokes a terrible feeling to the person experiencing it. You feel pinned to the ground. It's just bad all across the board.

"But you can jetpack, so you don't need a jump key, right? I mean, this is genius simplification. It'll be even easier for newer players to pickup and understand the game, because it's all wrapped into on simple key now!"

Well, it already was wrapped into one single key. I don't see what the problem was. Yes, it's definitely simpler, but simpler doesn't mean better. Pong is simpler than Tribes, but I don't see anyone playing that.

This was over-engineering at its finest. Looking for problems where there are none.

The removal of the jump button was a bad decision, mostly because it is going to feel strange to anyone that has played a first-person-shooter. It will also feel strange for anyone that has played Tribes before.

Voice commands:

Some of the voices featured in the game are straight-up annoying. There is some high-pitched squealing female robot voice that keeps yapping into my ear. It sounds like some sped-up tape-recorder chipmunk voice. I wish there was an option to mute that voice entirely. The voice commands were a cool aspect of Tribes, and they seem to be lacking in Midair. There were a lot of voices in the original game, they sounded good, and there was good variance between them.

The voice commands are something that could have been prioritized over, say, vehicles. It's not very hard to record voices and add them into the game. This area is very lacking.

They did add some really good taunts for some old-school taunting and rubbing salt in the wounds, which is great. I wish they had kept the voice commands to only three button pushes, rather than 4 button pushes.

The User Interface:

I think they did a great job with the UI. It has a huge icon telling you when you are holding the flag. It's quite idiot proof. There is another icon showing that you have been detected by pulse sensors. Everything seems really straight-forward, easy to understand, and just really solid overall. Very good UI in this game.

Homing Missiles:

Homing missiles are stupid. They do not belong in Tribes unless fired from automated turrets. The simple main reason is because they require no skill for a player to use. The secondary reason is that they force paper-scissors-stone type gameplay.

Homing missiles are the overly-controlling uncool parent that tells you that you can't go to that party. If homing missiles are in the game, and any defender is using them, you basically have to use flares when going offense, or you have to be very careful with your jets, neither of which are a fun result. This removes the joy of having those lovely tools known as hand-grenades to blow people up with.

“WEEP WEEP WEEP, were you trying to ski? Lol” Game says “WEEP WEEP WEEP”.

This is just brainless push-button gameplay. They, with zero effort, fire homing missile, you press flare, missile, flare, missile, flare. “Wow, that was an incredible play just now. Someone fired a homing missile and the opponent blocked it with a flare. Brilliant! I am epic Tribes player, I know how to push a key when I hear weep weep.” *heavy sarcasm*

Then they are used to vehicles too. Those super cool vehicles that the developers spent so much time making, they are a giant pain in the not-fun buttocks to use. You get in a shrike, WEEP WEEP WEEP, you flare, moments later, WEEP WEEP WEEP. Wow, really? How exciting?

WEEEEP WEEEEEP WEEEEP! WEEEEEP WEEEEEP WEEEEEP!

Just like every time you wake up to your alarm clock and you want to destroy it, Midair reminds you that jetting and skiing gets you punished with auto-homing missiles. Your ears are constantly assaulted with obnoxious alarm noises. Everyone loves alarms right?

"But you can use flares!" "But you can dodge!" "But you can shoot the missiles!"

Flares = cheesy gimmick for the sole purpose of countering one single weapon exclusively. That is pointless clutter that is not fun. I have to give up my hand grenade slot just so I can counter annoying homing missiles? "Golly gee, WEEEP WEEEP WEEEP, I press G, and no more WEEP WEEP, what awesome fun gameplay. Oop, the weep weeps are coming back again, better press F again." I should just build a script to automatically press F whenever I hear a weep weep, then I have one less annoying piece of clutter distracting me from the real game that the developers should have been focusing on making.

Dodge/Shoot = Yeah, you can dodge them. It doesn't mean it is fun. I dodged missiles and shot them out more then they hit me for sure, but it was very unfun. The fact that I know that the enemy player shooting at me did zero work and exercised zero skill to launch that at me just sucks all the fun right out of it. What am I supposed to say after he kills me with that "Nice auto-locking missile shot! That was the best homing missile shot I've ever seen! Huge respect! *high five*"

Every time I kill an opponent on their side of the map from my missile that I fired from my flag, I just shake my head. If they had only brought flares, they wouldn't have died.

Auto-aiming weapons were brought in with the attempt to draw in newer players that can't aim. Just another way they have raised the skill floor.

That being said, I thought the Rocket Turret in Tribes 1 was fantastic and extremely fun to watch. We used to get huge laughs out of that thing. I think it is great as a base's defensive asset. Too bad they aren't using them in Midair. Instead you get some crappy pulse turret that can't hit anything, and everyone usually just avoids as a minor nuisance, or spends just a few seconds lobbing a couple mortars at it and it's gone easy peasy.

I find homing missiles to be laughable, because they stray so far away from the spirit of what Tribes was.

Packs:

I love the arsenal pack. The infinite ammo regen and reload boost are kind of cool. But mostly it's really just the ammo pack from T1, which I already loved. The only thing about it that they need to fix is when you choose the boosted reload speed and have to spam the C key constantly as you are playing, that is bad cus it's just repetitious and lame. It should just automatically reload after you've burned 3 mortars, cus that's all you're using it for anyway is mortars.

I like how the energy pack has unique options that can help, but are not overpowered. I think they did a good job on the kinetic pack. The blink and underpowered boost options are neat and a fun option for newer players. They do not seem to break anything.

The jammer pack, I didn't even look at that, cus who cares? Lol why would you make such a thing?

The cloak pack? lol. It's just so silly. It's kind of fun for what it is and I enjoy messing around with it, but it's mostly just for jokes. The shift into invisibility seems really crisp and smooth. Grabbing the enemy flag renders it entirely useless though.

All in all I think they did a good job on the packs. I like how there are additional features to modify them, and none of them seem overpowered. That's great.

So yeah, all in all an good job on the packs. One of the things that was well done in this game.

The skiing:

I remember having Tribes dreams in high school where I'd be flying around some rolling mountains. What a blast! Tribes skiing just felt so perfect. You got moving so fast and it was so smooth. When you hit a dip just right at an important moment, it was like one of the most satisfying game experiences ever, if not THE most. Ya know, I managed to play that game for many years, and here is something I never once heard anyone say:

"Ya know what, this "skiing" stuff is really bad and feels terrible. It could definitely be improved upon."

We were all addicts. The skiing was so darn good. No other game had anything that could give us that feeling.

But the skiing needs to be improved upon, of course. The skiing needs to be "better." (sarcasm)

I'm of the "If it ain't broken, don't fix it" school of thought, where you don't have to change things that are really great. But this falls in line with the folly of every developer that tries to make a successful Tribes game, they think they know better. They attempt to re-invent the wheel every single time, like clock work.

Tribes 2 - Nearly all but removed skiing with a horrible top speed cap.

Tribes Vengeance - Added grappling hook and other stuff that made skiing and movement entirely zany.

Tribes Ascend - Massively altered the core skiing and added concussion grenade speed boosting.

One of my #1 questions to the developers would be, "Why on earth did you change the skiing?"

The skiing in Midair is "meh". I would say it is better than ascend, and worse than vengeance. It pales in comparison to the skiing in the original game, which was basically perfect.

Depth Perception:

One of the main things about Tribes that made it so great is that you could see a player's spatial position. You could say "Hey that guy is THERE, so if I shoot over THERE, I can hit him when he lands." Most of the skill with weapons in Tribes was about predicting the future position of the enemy player, because most the weapons move slowly in comparison with other games. This is one of the key defining traits that differentiated Tribes from Call of Duty, Counter-Strike, etc. The weapon projectiles were mostly slow moving.

In Midair, there seems to be an issue with depth perception that makes it really difficult to judge where people are going to land. I'm not sure if it is the the terrain, where everything is so smooth and has a lot of uniform color, the lack of well-rendered shadows, or the graphics engine, or what, but when people bounce around, you often can't tell if they are moving towards you or away, up or down. It is one of the worst things about the game and it makes the game a lot less fun. I'd rather miss because I missed, not because the graphics were wonky.

Lack of Freedom -

Hard borders, the bane of any Tribes game. You're skiing around, having fun, feeling so free and then, WHAT?!?! A giant neon orange wall lets you know that you are trapped in a cube, robbing you of your feeling of freedom.

Tribes 1 tricked us all into thinking we could fly forever. You almost never went to the edge of the map. It was an amazing feeling that I consider essential to its awesomeness.

"But it's the gaming engine's fault, not the developers!"

Well, who chose the engine?

Whoever chose the engine chose an engine that couldn't represent Tribes well enough. So that was a bad choice.

Weapon Design:

The weapons are definitely not one of the games glaring weaknesses. A lot of them are pretty good.

The disc projectile moves very fast, but has a very narrow splash. And it makes a light watery sound when it lands. It sounds and feels mildly unsatisfying.

In the original T1 game, discs landed with a loud basey thud, and blasted their corpses in a certain direction due to the impact. It was another one of the addicting hooks that kept us coming back. The midair disc just fails to capture that same magic.

That being said, the disc is "meh" or "ok". It's not bad, but not great.

The blaster was designed well in that it doesn't take energy. However, it's not a very strong weapon overall at all and very few people will use it, so it's kind of just more useless clutter. It's not good up close compared to disc or plasma or whatever, and it's not good far away compared to railgun and chaingun, so it's just kind of bad all around, unless the enemy has a shred of health left, and then it's maybe ok. The blaster in T1 was much stronger, and if you had removed it's energy drain, people would have used it all the time. One of its most notable uses was that you could do lots of damage to immobile targets from far away. In Midair, it doesn't have enough range to do that.

All in all the blaster is pretty fun to use and I like it. I wish they wouldn't have gimped its range though. I wish you could blaster snipe with it. That just makes it even less useful.

The mortar in Midair feels nowhere near as good as the original Tribes. It feels sluggish and everytime I fire it it invokes the feeling of lugging a bag of cement over a brick-wall or something. The way it bounces and sticks feels off. Though when you hit people with it, it does make me lol with joy. The damage on it is totally good. It's sad that holding the weapon I give up 20% of my screen visibility or whatever looking at this horrible cheesy picture of my arm carrying the weapon. Wish I could remove that.

Grenade Launcher - Seems pretty great. I like this weapon.

Chaingun - Seems pretty great overall, though I haven't investigated it cus I never use chaingun. I never really used it in the first game either, wasn't my thing.

Railgun - It seems good.

Plasma - The awkwardness of the bright flickering graphics on the
projectile makes it a little distracting. I do kind of like this weapon though. It fires a bit differently than in the first game. There is less of a delay on it.

The Warden - Awesome weapon. I love it. I say that reluctantly because I think it might have serious issues, in that you can seriously wreck people with it and I think it might be overpowered and cause unfun gameplay for many. I would need to investigate it more and see exactly how much energy it drains. I'm not sure why you would make it auto-aiming. I believe that all weapons in Tribes should require aiming to use.

Hand Grenades - Very good. Too bad I can't use them while firing another weapon. Sure would be fun.

The Buildings and Base Architecture -

So, the base architecture is really great in this game. They have a lot of unique structures and shapes that are really fun to navigate. Whoever designed them did a great job. I've never played in bases like these, and they are new, unique, and refreshing. They don't get put to full use, since the bases are unimportant in the game overall, but they did a great job on them for sure. I'm not talking about map design, but the raw buildings that are placed into the maps. They encourage very fun gameplay. There are atmospheric tubes, corridors, generator rooms, and all sorts of cool stuff that just looks really great.

Vehicles:

Are you thinking about putting vehicles in your Tribes game? A question I might as would be, Why? Why are you doing that?

No seriously, why are you doing that? Please stop. Stop it. Stop now.

I do believe there could be a place in Tribes for well made vehicles, but to make that happen, you'd have to make unique, functional, super cool vehicles that would make people lol with fun, and assist players in some interesting and uniquely powerful way that regular skiing, movement, and armor couldn't offer. I actually thought the gravity bike in Tribes 2 was somewhat cool.
I also really liked the scout in T1. I just think that as a developer, your time must be valuable, so spending it on making vehicles before you have a rock solid winner of a game is hugely wasteful. It's a giant waste of time.

Making vehicles that require more than one person to control is a horrible idea. It just feels so forced. Furthermore, the battlefield only has like what, 8-10 people per team? 12 at best? Giving up two or even three of those people to occupy a vehicle? Yeah, it's going to be the same as deleting a player or two off your team in terms of usefulness. It's almost always going to be a bad decision.

The vehicles in this game are pointless.

Though the shrike seems kind of fun for pew pew pew I donno. You could remove all the vehicles from the game and it wouldn't matter or effect anything.

Why is making vehicles a very bad thing to do to your fans?

Well, you could have taken all the time you spent on making those vehicles, and donated it to better raw functionality, or better depth perception, or better/smoother game design overall, or more awesome maps, or whatever. That time was basically put to absolute waste. Nobody cares about vehicles. They'd rather be able to see where they guy they are trying to shoot at is going to land.

The only reason I can see that anyone would want to bring in vehicles is because they think it will attract newer players. It seems to be a marketing decision based on dollars.

I feel they really blew it on the vehicles. They fly strangely, they feel clunky and awkward, and meh. I think some people are maybe enjoying the shrike, but to spend time on that over really crucial stuff is bad.

Why have all the Tribes sequels failed?:

The answer is simple. It lies in the reinvention of the wheel. In my opinion, a sequel has never been attempted. Nobody has ever released a game that was similar to the original Starsiege:Tribes. Not even close.

Tribes was a fluke and total accident. I believe that it was the funnest game that I've ever played by far because of the way the emerging gameplay unraveled. The game became something that was unintended. It evolved into something the original developers could have never seen ahead of time. The developers of Starsiege: Tribes, I believe were really great, but their game was even better than they intended. They came across the creation of the best game ever by accident, similar to how Champagne, or Silly Puddy, were discovered. They didn't even know what they had on their hands when they first released it, of that I'm sure.

So what happens when you accidentally stumble across a cure for cancer that has nearly zero side effects? You keep looking for something "better" of course (heavy sarcasm). At least, that seems to be the human tendency. I could write very lengthy amounts about why I think that people repeat this behavior like clockwork.

No game developer has ever been wise enough to see Tribes for what it was, a fluke, with so many things accidentally balanced at such good tuning, that everything came together. Instead, developers have seen Tribes as a template, or a mold, that can be improved upon, strengthened, and re-made into a new and beautiful vision. Well, that really isn't the way that fluke inventions work. You have to realize them for the incredible things they are, and build upon them. For example, a better glass bottle for champagne, a new cork, or a shiny new label, are all great ideas. In contrast, there are a billion ways you could ruin champagne or make it taste bad, by adding various ingredients, and that is what each and every Tribes developer has done.

All of the Tribes sequel developers arrogantly assume they can make something "better" than champagne, "better" than the wheel. Thus the all of the reinvention. Thus all of the failure. This is the #1 main reason we are not playing a fun Tribes game with depth currently.

Tribes 2 - Shrikes, Flares, Removal of Skiing, shocklance, Super Elf Gun, Super powered remote turrets, Cloak-Pack, giant maps, bouncing shield-piercing blaster, and the list goes on and on.

Tribes: Vengeance - Grappling Hook, invulnerability pack, Hard Out of Bounds Border, that's probably enough.

Tribes: Ascend - Totally different skiing, pre-defined armor/weapon sets, etc etc etc.

Nobody has ever said "Hey, Starsiege: Tribes" was a cool game that was very successful, let's try to make a game like that.

They were all entirely convinced, and super sure of themselves that they could make something "better" than the wheel. The end result has been crappy game after crappy game after crappy game, and nobody playing them.

Meanwhile, all of those developers have blamed their gaming audience and everyone but themselves for their short-comings. That, for me, was one of the saddest facts, that these developers were so unaware of their own plight, that they would turn around and point their finger at the people that were already enjoying the proven model and proven method that worked.

"The Tribes community is unwilling to adapt" and "They don't even know what they want" and "The Tribes community is so divided" and "They are impossible to please" and other such phrases have been tossed around. To this day, there has never been a developer that has shown accountability for the lack of their game's success. They will blame anyone and anything other than themselves.

Dave Georgeson, AKA Qix, the project lead for Tribes 2, threw his lead programmer under the bus for 'removing skiing' and 'ruining Tribes 2', as if the highest guy up (Dave G) didn't have the authority to change it, or to have the final say. Whatever happened, it happened on Dave G's watch, so the responsibility falls on him. The lack of accountability on his end, was pretty disappointing to see. Not so long ago he went on record saying that he woefully regrets his decisions in creating Tribes 2 the way he did, and that if he could go back in time, he would do things entirely differently, so at least there is that. However, he should have owned up to the fact that he attempted to re-invent the wheel by removing skiing from the game, or at the very least, allowing it to be removed on his watch.

Chris Manken, AKA Thrax Panda, the lead for Tribes:Vengeance, blamed Tribes players and the community for being unsatisfiable customers. Claiming that some of us were happy and some of us were not. Here is an interesting article to read:

https://pcgameexaminer.com/2016/09/29/interview-the-man-who-killed-starsiege-tribes/

"People don’t like change. You see it all the time with people who leave WoW t o go play something else, and then go back to WoW. They’ve got a big investment in their characters and gear, and their friends are all there. It’s not as easy to recognize, but in the shooter market you get exactly the same thing, only people haven’t invested their time in gear and levels, but in skills. When you change things you devalue their skills, and that’s not happy time.

Imagine what would happen if the NBA changed the height of the basket, the size of the court, and the weight of the ball every year. I believe we just might see some disquiet from the players.

So with Vengeance being more like the original Tribes, and less like Tribes 2 in regards to physics and map design, we made part of the audience happy, and part unhappy. But leaving out the tools the hardcore fans needed to hold competitive matches made everybody angry. I think that if the tools had been there, the polish had been applied, and there had been any marketing behind the game, it would have been accepted by the fans. Instead it was doomed to fail by the choices of Vivendi management." -Thrax Panda

In this article, you can read that Thrax Panda was very happy with his game. He blames the lack of a completed competition mod, upper management, and the divided Tribes community for the game's lack of success.

What is interesting about this, is that he is highly aware of the fact that people dislike change, and that changing the height of the NBA basket is a huge no no, but he is entirely unaware of the fact that he had done exactly that. He fails to realize the skiing and movement in Tribes one was tha equivalent of that net height, and that by adding "speed boosting energy packs", "invulnerability packs" for double disc jumping, and most importantly a "grappling hook", he at the very least cut the height of the NBA net in half. I think this high level of potent obliviousness can be observed in every developer in history that attempted a "Tribes sequel".

There is no way that upper management could have saved Vengeance no matter what they did, and there is no way that a competitive mode would have fixed anything. The gameplay was flat out bad all the way through, and nobody liked it. However, someone who is smart enough to re-invent the wheel is never going to realize that it was his or her own terrible ideas, horrible game balance, and ridiculous changes to the game, that made it bad. You see the same "pass the buck" that you saw with Georgeson, who blamed his lead programmer for apparently removing skiing at the last minute before shipping the final product. I think there is a lot more to that story than has been revealed, and I'd love to know more about exactly how it went down.

And then there is Todd Harris at HiReZ, who also doesn't know how to make a Tribes game, and unwilling to listen to passionate competitive players from back in 1999. Tribes players are a non-entity to these Tribes developers. We are just dust on the road to them. Todd's desire to fit the "money making machine" into the game was so overwhelming that the game didn't even look like a game after he was through with it. It's like looking at a chessboard that is dominated with Credit-Card Swipers, Mini-Merchandising Shops, and Glowing "Click-Me" signs, so much so, that you can't even see the pieces of the board. Todd loves Tribes enough to buy the IP for it, so I was confused by Tribes:Ascend. He was perhaps the furthest away from making a Tribes sequel of all the developers.

Lastly we have BugSpray and Mabel at Archetype studios, who were very happy to attempt to re-invent the wheel for the umpteenth time. Their game is also extremely far away from even remotely resembling the original Tribes game. They were just as uninterested in the opinions of those who played Tribes back in 1999 as any other developers. It seems like they did a great job of feigning interest in the later post 2005-ish LT community. The game that they put out though, is not going to make most of them happy at all. There are going to be a lot of disappointed LT players for sure.

All these developers have ever done is taken balled-up chunks of cardboard, and slapped stickers on them labeled "Hot Steamed Dumplings" in attempt to sell them to people who know what real dumplings taste like. We try their product for a while, realize it is garbage, and cease consuming. That is what has happened in the past, that is what is happening now, and that is what will happen in the future if anyone else attempts a "Tribes Sequel". The cycle will repeat itself in an infinite loop until we are all old and gray.

LT Mod Community-

The LT mod came out way after what is considered the "golden era," and later the "death" of Tribes. This mod removed generators, turrets, deployables, armor types, packs, and many/most of the weapons from the game, but placed emphasis on many of the super fun aspects of Tribes, such as flag-passing, disc-jumping, skiing, teamplay, and precision weapon shots. As the Tribes player count dwindled to very small numbers, the LT mod became a great way of continuing to enjoy the amazing game of Tribes, as a 5 on 5 game was LT's design, versus the 10 v 10 that the original game was designed for.

LT players have different values and enjoyed different aspects of the game than the era that I come from, though I believe they are every bit as passionate about the game than those who played the game back in 1999. They are true Tribes fans that love the game, and wanted to continue to play the game more in the future. It seems to me that they got shafted pretty hard by Midair.

Archetype brought a lot of LT players for testing Midair, and at first seemed like they were working hard to cater to them, but in the end, their end result game seems miles away from anything they would want to play. Most of the aspects of Tribes that LT players enjoyed have not been emphasized, focused on, or catered to. Disc-Jumping removed, skiing dumbed down, skidding removed, no increased emphasis on flag passing or any cherished LT elements, no more simultaneous hand grenades, no jagged terrain, etc etc. It just a long list of downgrades that will make LT players disappointed.

There are some LT players that are saying positive things about Midair, but deep down, I believe they strongly preferred T1, and are only playing Midair because it has fresh hype and more people playing right now. They also have no other place to go, as outside of T1 and Midair, there are no options. They are simply making the best of a bad situation. I do respect and appreciate some of the optimism I see, but I think Midair is doomed.

Just like Tribes fans from 1999, the LT community places value on depth of gameplay, and Midair doesn't have as much depth as T1 LT. If you improved T1 graphics, fixed the ski-bug, removed cheats, and made new maps, and populated T1 servers with bodies, you'd never see an LT player in Midair ever again.

As for the positive end, at least they will have new maps to play.

No modding:

When a developer tells you, you can't mod, other than it being an obvious marketing method of maintaining control, it seems to come from a source of both fear and pride. They are, after all, intelligent enough to create something better than the wheel, so the idea of you being able to make something better than them is laughably off the table. Deep down, perhaps they are afraid that you will craft a better game than them. If you mod their game, and your mod becomes more popular than their design, it essentially proves to them that they had no idea what they were doing, or that you are capable of producing a more fun game than them. Rather than run that risk, they will just take their ball and go home, so that you can't even enter the ring. This tactic allows them to reconfirm what is the truth to them in their own mind, that they are the most genius gaming developers in human history.

They will tell you that their lack of open modding is a courtesy and a mercy, preventing "the community from being divided," but that's a load of hogwash. Starsiege: Tribes was a highly successful game and had massive longevity, and it allowed for modding. I would argue that open modding was one of the keys to the success of the game.

A truly confident and good gaming developer that actually cared about the community they were developing their game for, would never be scared of the word "mod." A developer that really cares about the game, and wants to make a real connection with its player base, would allow them the freedom to modify their product, as Dynamix did back in 1998-1999. Many of us old enough remember Renegades, Ultra-Renegades, Rabbit, Hunters, Arena, and many other fun mods that extended the lifespan of Tribes as a whole. We got lots of joy from playing those mods, and lots of people got a great amount of joy making them. Those days are really gone. Developers these days, they only care about money. These days, everyone is very serious about maintaining control and maximizing their profits above all else. Counter-intuitively, I believe they would make more money overall taking the opposite approach

Spoiler

LT Mod Community:

Spoiler

No modding:

Spoiler

The Kickstarter:

Spoiler

The Actual Honest Name of Midair:

Spoiler

Thank you to everyone who read my giant wall of text about Tribes stuffs. May the Tribes be with you.

shutterstock-61933045.jpg

Last edited:
maybe spoiler each section so it's easier on ye old scroll wheel

title:
Spoiler

The answer is simple. It lies in the reinvention of the wheel. In my opinion, a sequel has never been attempted. Nobody has ever released a game that was similar to the original Starsiege:Tribes. Not even close.

Tribes was a fluke and total accident. I believe that it was the funnest game that I've ever played by far because of the way the emerging gameplay unraveled. The game became something that was unintended. It evolved into something the original developers could have never seen ahead of time. The developers of Starsiege: Tribes, I believe were really great, but their game was even better than they intended. They came across the creation of the best game ever by accident, similar to how Champagne, or Silly Puddy, were discovered. They didn't even know what they had on their hands when they first released it, of that I'm sure.

So what happens when you accidentally stumble across a cure for cancer that has nearly zero side effects? You keep looking for something "better" of course (heavy sarcasm). At least, that seems to be the human tendency. I could write very lengthy amounts about why I think that people repeat this behavior like clockwork.

No game developer has ever been wise enough to see Tribes for what it was, a fluke, with so many things accidentally balanced at such good tuning, that everything came together. Instead, developers have seen Tribes as a template, or a mold, that can be improved upon, strengthened, and re-made into a new and beautiful vision. Well, that really isn't the way that fluke inventions work. You have to realize them for the incredible things they are, and build upon them. For example, a better glass bottle for champagne, a new cork, or a shiny new label, are all great ideas. In contrast, there are a billion ways you could ruin champagne or make it taste bad, by adding various ingredients, and that is what each and every Tribes developer has done.

All of the Tribes sequel developers arrogantly assume they can make something "better" than champagne, "better" than the wheel. Thus the all of the reinvention. Thus all of the failure. This is the #1 main reason we are not playing a fun Tribes game with depth currently.

Tribes 2 - Shrikes, Flares, Removal of Skiing, shocklance, Super Elf Gun, Super powered remote turrets, Cloak-Pack, giant maps, bouncing shield-piercing blaster, and the list goes on and on.

Tribes: Vengeance - Grappling Hook, invulnerability pack, Hard Out of Bounds Border, that's probably enough.

Tribes: Ascend - Totally different skiing, pre-defined armor/weapon sets, etc etc etc.

Nobody has ever said "Hey, Starsiege: Tribes" was a cool game that was very successful, let's try to make a game like that.

They were all entirely convinced, and super sure of themselves that they could make something "better" than the wheel. The end result has been crappy game after crappy game after crappy game, and nobody playing them.

Meanwhile, all of those developers have blamed their gaming audience and everyone but themselves for their short-comings. That, for me, was one of the saddest facts, that these developers were so unaware of their own plight, that they would turn around and point their finger at the people that were already enjoying the proven model and proven method that worked.

"The Tribes community is unwilling to adapt" and "They don't even know what they want" and "The Tribes community is so divided" and "They are impossible to please" and other such phrases have been tossed around. To this day, there has never been a developer that has shown accountability for the lack of their game's success. They will blame anyone and anything other than themselves.

Dave Georgeson, AKA Qix, the project lead for Tribes 2, threw his lead programmer under the bus for 'removing skiing' and 'ruining Tribes 2', as if the highest guy up (Dave G) didn't have the authority to change it, or to have the final say. Whatever happened, it happened on Dave G's watch, so the responsibility falls on him. The lack of accountability on his end, was pretty disappointing to see. Not so long ago he went on record saying that he woefully regrets his decisions in creating Tribes 2 the way he did, and that if he could go back in time, he would do things entirely differently, so at least there is that. However, he should have owned up to the fact that he attempted to re-invent the wheel by removing skiing from the game, or at the very least, allowing it to be removed on his watch.

Chris Manken, AKA Thrax Panda, the lead for Tribes:Vengeance, blamed Tribes players and the community for being unsatisfiable customers. Claiming that some of us were happy and some of us were not. Here is an interesting article to read:

https://pcgameexaminer.com/2016/09/29/interview-the-man-who-killed-starsiege-tribes/

"People don’t like change. You see it all the time with people who leave WoW t o go play something else, and then go back to WoW. They’ve got a big investment in their characters and gear, and their friends are all there. It’s not as easy to recognize, but in the shooter market you get exactly the same thing, only people haven’t invested their time in gear and levels, but in skills. When you change things you devalue their skills, and that’s not happy time.

Imagine what would happen if the NBA changed the height of the basket, the size of the court, and the weight of the ball every year. I believe we just might see some disquiet from the players.

So with Vengeance being more like the original Tribes, and less like Tribes 2 in regards to physics and map design, we made part of the audience happy, and part unhappy. But leaving out the tools the hardcore fans needed to hold competitive matches made everybody angry. I think that if the tools had been there, the polish had been applied, and there had been any marketing behind the game, it would have been accepted by the fans. Instead it was doomed to fail by the choices of Vivendi management." -Thrax Panda

In this article, you can read that Thrax Panda was very happy with his game. He blames the lack of a completed competition mod, upper management, and the divided Tribes community for the game's lack of success.

What is interesting about this, is that he is highly aware of the fact that people dislike change, and that changing the height of the NBA basket is a huge no no, but he is entirely unaware of the fact that he had done exactly that. He fails to realize the skiing and movement in Tribes one was tha equivalent of that net height, and that by adding "speed boosting energy packs", "invulnerability packs" for double disc jumping, and most importantly a "grappling hook", he at the very least cut the height of the NBA net in half. I think this high level of potent obliviousness can be observed in every developer in history that attempted a "Tribes sequel".

There is no way that upper management could have saved Vengeance no matter what they did, and there is no way that a competitive mode would have fixed anything. The gameplay was flat out bad all the way through, and nobody liked it. However, someone who is smart enough to re-invent the wheel is never going to realize that it was his or her own terrible ideas, horrible game balance, and ridiculous changes to the game, that made it bad. You see the same "pass the buck" that you saw with Georgeson, who blamed his lead programmer for apparently removing skiing at the last minute before shipping the final product. I think there is a lot more to that story than has been revealed, and I'd love to know more about exactly how it went down.

And then there is Todd Harris at HiReZ, who also doesn't know how to make a Tribes game, and unwilling to listen to passionate competitive players from back in 1999. Tribes players are a non-entity to these Tribes developers. We are just dust on the road to them. Todd's desire to fit the "money making machine" into the game was so overwhelming that the game didn't even look like a game after he was through with it. It's like looking at a chessboard that is dominated with Credit-Card Swipers, Mini-Merchandising Shops, and Glowing "Click-Me" signs, so much so, that you can't even see the pieces of the board. Todd loves Tribes enough to buy the IP for it, so I was confused by Tribes:Ascend. He was perhaps the furthest away from making a Tribes sequel of all the developers.

Lastly we have BugSpray and Mabel at Archetype studios, who were very happy to attempt to re-invent the wheel for the umpteenth time. Their game is also extremely far away from even remotely resembling the original Tribes game. They were just as uninterested in the opinions of those who played Tribes back in 1999 as any other developers. It seems like they did a great job of feigning interest in the later post 2005-ish LT community. The game that they put out though, is not going to make most of them happy at all. There are going to be a lot of disappointed LT players for sure.

All these developers have ever done is taken balled-up chunks of cardboard, and slapped stickers on them labeled "Hot Steamed Dumplings" in attempt to sell them to people who know what real dumplings taste like. We try their product for a while, realize it is garbage, and cease consuming. That is what has happened in the past, that is what is happening now, and that is what will happen in the future if anyone else attempts a "Tribes Sequel". The cycle will repeat itself in an infinite loop until we are all old and gray.

LT Mod Community-

The LT mod came out way after what is considered the "golden era," and later the "death" of Tribes. This mod removed generators, turrets, deployables, armor types, packs, and many/most of the weapons from the game, but placed emphasis on many of the super fun aspects of Tribes, such as flag-passing, disc-jumping, skiing, teamplay, and precision weapon shots. As the Tribes player count dwindled to very small numbers, the LT mod became a great way of continuing to enjoy the amazing game of Tribes, as a 5 on 5 game was LT's design, versus the 10 v 10 that the original game was designed for.

LT players have different values and enjoyed different aspects of the game than the era that I come from, though I believe they are every bit as passionate about the game than those who played the game back in 1999. They are true Tribes fans that love the game, and wanted to continue to play the game more in the future. It seems to me that they got shafted pretty hard by Midair.

Archetype brought a lot of LT players for testing Midair, and at first seemed like they were working hard to cater to them, but in the end, their end result game seems miles away from anything they would want to play. Most of the aspects of Tribes that LT players enjoyed have not been emphasized, focused on, or catered to. Disc-Jumping removed, skiing dumbed down, skidding removed, no increased emphasis on flag passing or any cherished LT elements, no more simultaneous hand grenades, no jagged terrain, etc etc. It just a long list of downgrades that will make LT players disappointed.

There are some LT players that are saying positive things about Midair, but deep down, I believe they strongly preferred T1, and are only playing Midair because it has fresh hype and more people playing right now. They also have no other place to go, as outside of T1 and Midair, there are no options. They are simply making the best of a bad situation. I do respect and appreciate some of the optimism I see, but I think Midair is doomed.

Just like Tribes fans from 1999, the LT community places value on depth of gameplay, and Midair doesn't have as much depth as T1 LT. If you improved T1 graphics, fixed the ski-bug, removed cheats, and made new maps, and populated T1 servers with bodies, you'd never see an LT player in Midair ever again.

As for the positive end, at least they will have new maps to play.

No modding:

When a developer tells you, you can't mod, other than it being an obvious marketing method of maintaining control, it seems to come from a source of both fear and pride. They are, after all, intelligent enough to create something better than the wheel, so the idea of you being able to make something better than them is laughably off the table. Deep down, perhaps they are afraid that you will craft a better game than them. If you mod their game, and your mod becomes more popular than their design, it essentially proves to them that they had no idea what they were doing, or that you are capable of producing a more fun game than them. Rather than run that risk, they will just take their ball and go home, so that you can't even enter the ring. This tactic allows them to reconfirm what is the truth to them in their own mind, that they are the most genius gaming developers in human history.

They will tell you that their lack of open modding is a courtesy and a mercy, preventing "the community from being divided," but that's a load of hogwash. Starsiege: Tribes was a highly successful game and had massive longevity, and it allowed for modding. I would argue that open modding was one of the keys to the success of the game.

A truly confident and good gaming developer that actually cared about the community they were developing their game for, would never be scared of the word "mod." A developer that really cares about the game, and wants to make a real connection with its player base, would allow them the freedom to modify their product, as Dynamix did back in 1998-1999. Many of us old enough remember Renegades, Ultra-Renegades, Rabbit, Hunters, Arena, and many other fun mods that extended the lifespan of Tribes as a whole. We got lots of joy from playing those mods, and lots of people got a great amount of joy making them. Those days are really gone. Developers these days, they only care about money. These days, everyone is very serious about maintaining control and maximizing their profits above all else. Counter-intuitively, I believe they would make more money overall taking the opposite approach.

In the case of midair, anyone modding the game would have the easiest cake-walk of a time making a better game than their main game. All they would have to do is re-instate disc-jumping, the force-impact on the disc, actual generators that matter, add a jump button, remove the perma-flag IDEs, and so on and so forth. But for all I know though, someone would come up with some other totally different amazing mod that would attract far more attention. Perhaps someone would have made the best Tribes mod ever? I guess we'll never know.

This is never going to happen, because Archetype is just like any other game developer. They are not interested in listening to what people want to play. They are interested in telling you what you want to play. "No, you don't want disc-jumps, you want cloak packs." "No, you don't want weapons that take skill, you want homing missiles." "No, you don't want hardcore, punishing, super serious game, you want super casual nothing matters Diet Tribes with zero calories." You will like it, because you have to like it. If you don't like it, you can starve then, cus there is nothing else. No modding for you.

Reaching newer players was a good idea. That was a smart marketing decision. Also a very intelligent move to breath life into any game. A game needs players to survive, and bringing in new ones is a necessity. It also fuels dollar signs.

The question is, will newer players be drawn to a game like Midair?

I really doubt it.

Their main problem is that their game is simply not good enough to maintain a large player base.

Their only hope would be to allow modding so that someone else could fix their broken game. It is highly likely, that modding will never happen.

The Kickstarter -

Archetype Studios named their game Midair and adopted a strategy of posturing as if they were going to make a Tribes game that would make Tribes veterans happy. The game they would actually produce on the day of full-release, however, would make next to none of us happy.

What has taken place invokes a similar feeling to someone proposing the idea of you giving them 170 dollars to do grocery shopping for you, only to have them come back with a new pair of sunglasses for themselves.

The 1999 nostalgia invoking name "Midair," and all of their marketing gave the appearance of a Tribes game designed for Tribes players, and a game with depth worth playing, but that is not what we received on full-release day, not even close.

Midair is junk.

I don't think anyone is really surprised by this. The Tribes community has been pooped on harder than pretty much any other community in all of gaming history, and this is just par for the course. This goes beyond being a hat-trick for Tribes developers crapping on us. We can't really help it, we are addicts. We hunger for that addictive 1999 experience that no developer is interested in reproducing. The Tribes community's relationship with potential game developers highly resembles a heavily unbalanced and abusive human relationship between two lovers. We keep begging for the same thing for decades, and we keep getting stomped on, yet we keep coming back for more.

This being the 4th time or so, we've heavily identified ourselves as patsies. We are the baby rabbits that hawks soar over and eye up like candy. Anyone that wants to can just roll up on us and say "Tribes Game," and pick an inspiring name like "Vengeance" or "Ascend" or "Midair" and they will be in. They can get tons of money. Then they can go make cloaky packs and noob vehicles and lol at how dumb we are. We are really stupid to be honest, but that is ok, because we are human.

Unless you were someone that had never played Tribes before, anyone who donated any money towards the Midair kickstarter wasted their money.

Tribes fans from 1999 are left starving just as they already have been for 17 or whatever years already.

I believe that this game is a failure. I believe that player numbers will not rise, but dwindle. The popularity of the game will not increase, but slowly decrease more and more. It is possible that Midair will be able to maintain a very small community with perhaps 1 or 2 occupied servers, but more than likely Midair is probably going to die in the relatively near future, so if you like skiing and playing Tribes related stuff, go ahead and enjoy it while the servers actually have people in them.

The Actual Honest Name of Midair:

Since I believe that the name Midair is a sham, and the game should be renamed to something more sincere, I created a list of possible names:

Cloaky Pack Homing missile game

Better Skiing Than Tribes

T-Ball, Where Everyone Wins

Participation Trophy

Paper Scissors Stone

Vehicles for Noobs

Weep Weep Weep

Tribes Men Can't Jump

Fake Generators Cus LOL

LoL, You Thought We Might Make Tribes

Thank you to everyone who read my giant wall of text about Tribes stuffs. May the Tribes be with you.

shutterstock-61933045.jpg

Nothing should ever counter the OP shield pack. I should be able to keep your base down through at least four waves of your entire team coming at me. Fuck balance. Good games don't do that.

The removal of the jump button was a bad decision, mostly because it is going to feel strange to anyone that has played a first-person-shooter. It will also feel strange for anyone that has played Tribes before.

This became a thing since Ascend, number one reason why I uninstalled that game after playing around with it for five minutes.

It really shouldn't mater so much but it took away the disc jump and the mortar jump maneuver. The movement felt like shit.

The game didn't warrant that much effort

I know. I'm just a huge Tribes nerd and I enjoy talking Tribes stuff.

It is mostly just for entertainment for peoples that wanna read Tribes stuff.

I tried to work out what you mean about disc jumping being removed but I can't even

I stopped reading when you said "no disc jumping" pumpkin. That is so untrue. You have to do the discjump down and behind you due to netcoding if you want to gain a lot of speed. You dont do it the traditional way directly down in front of you. You can definitely discjump though...

Uhhh...you can still DJ in midair. wut? u can do it with the GL as well.

Wow, holy poop, you guys are right.

I just went and tested it.

The disc jump used to suck a long time ago when I was testing the game, but it seems they fixed it without me realizing?

My apologies for my mistake.

Not sure how I played for three days without realizing that.

I shall update my post.

I was bound to make at least one mistake having written so much.

If you find any more please let me know and I'll update.

I am also now being informed that you can also Plasma jump too.

Nothing should ever counter the OP shield pack. I should be able to keep your base down through at least four waves of your entire team coming at me. Fuck balance. Good games don't do that.

Can you edit your above post to say "too long, but I read it"?

edit: resolved

Thanks dude.

I only played for three days.

If you see anything else let me know.

Last edited:
i think disc impulse is weak overall and it does translate to disc jumping being slightly less effective than imo it should be, especially with cappers being so fast

nade jump impulse feels better imo and disc should be as powerful

still have a lot of valid points imo, i dont like this modern internet style of arguing where you find one thing thats wrong and discount everything the person says because you dont agree with one thing

there are other things i disagree with to a degree (like the UI being decent LOL)

but 100% agree about the rock paper scissors balance thing, i guess that comes from T2 tho

overall i think the game is pretty good for an open beta, i like the movement (even tho its dumbed down and un-intuitive) and think they could have had some pretty decent success if it was marketed as an open beta

too bad its supposed to be 'release' which imo hurts it more than anything, giving people the idea that what we got is supposed to be a final, complete project

which is kinda a symptom of gaming these days, u push something out the door half-done and if people like it then you finish it (or not)

LT, which has a lot less dials to tweak seems to play pretty decently and i assume will survive for a bit on nostalgia and ego

nade jump impulse feels better imo and disc should be as powerful

Didn't even know you could nade jump either. I'll have to check that out.

still have a lot of valid points imo, i dont like this modern internet style of arguing where you find one thing thats wrong and discount everything the person says because you dont agree with one thing

Thanks man, yeah, there might be a lot of people that find one thing and use it to discount the whole write-up, but it's whatever. They are still here, talking about it, and engaging in entertaining discussion. I was certain that, having written so much, tons of people gonna disagree with many of my points. It's all good.

there are other things i disagree with to a degree (like the UI being decent LOL)

but 100% agree about the rock paper scissors balance thing, i guess that comes from T2 tho

*nod* Yes. It is Qix import.

overall i think the game is pretty good for an open beta, i like the movement (even tho its dumbed down and un-intuitive) and think they could have had some pretty decent success if it was marketed as an open beta

too bad its supposed to be 'release' which imo hurts it more than anything, giving people the idea that what we got is supposed to be a final, complete project

Yeah, it's fun to ski around and pew pew pew. I just feel that so much is busted no one will take it seriously.

Also, are new players really gonna dig in and learn how to ski?

I can't imagine them doing that. >_<

I'm guessing that lots of new players that are trying it now will get grabbed back into PubG, Fortnight, or whatever before they get hooked. I donno.

Maybe Tribes really was such a fluke that it can never be made again...

Or maybe I'll end up being entirely wrong, and this game will be hugely successful? Stranger things have happened.

which is kinda a symptom of gaming these days, u push something out the door half-done and if people like it then you finish it (or not)

LT, which has a lot less dials to tweak seems to play pretty decently and i assume will survive for a bit on nostalgia and ego

Yeah, there are some games in development I have interest in, but after my experience with Midair, I think I'll just wait until full-release from now on.

I think it's a bit simpler than you're thinking to be honest. Yes all of that is true and then some and yeah Tribes' players will think about all of that crap and make the obvious comparisons to the old game.

For new players I honestly just think the graphics are a huge turn off. Not just the style. The lush terrain for example looks awful low res and the player models themselves are simply not scaled right to the rest of the world at all. On top of that the maps are seriously lacking. No offense to LT players or anything, but it's pretty clear where the inspiration was drawn from for a lot of the flagstands and "bases" and I really think it's just making for boring gameplay in base.

Add to that the free to play, pay to ...play aspect (unlocks) and a super soft launch and you really don't need any of those other smaller reasons.

I installed this today. I played like 5 minutes and TPK was there. I might go play it now.

Back