why no next bro

and again, the key point here is context.. like if all you do is come on tribalwar and post "DOWN WITH THE BLACKS AND THE JEWS" all day every day, I'm fine with someone using that info when considering whether or not to hire you / etc.

but if you come here to have regular discussions and talk about games or your favourite burger, like a normal person, but end up saying some slurs or having controversial opinions once in a blue moon... someone can take that one instance and use it to try to prove that you're a bad person / etc

like I rail on absent here constantly, because he's a fuckin twat. someone could take that shit out of context and use it against me -- despite the fact I'm sitting here railing on a racist, xenophobic neonazi, that probably doesn't come out in every single sentence and thus can be twisted

I used to say that if Google was the CIA, people would be going ape shit.

Now we have the NSA...

But people are ok with Google doing WAY more data mining than the NSA, because a multi-billion dollar corporation that openly opposes any and all right to privacy would ever abuse all that information, right?

why can't you just not be a stupid faggot on your own and not need a faggot law to protect you from when you are always a faggot?

ding ding. and if it is something you need to cover up thats not the type person i want in authority position. fuck that shit if you want to be in a public position such as politics you should have no privacy.

ding ding. and if it is something you need to cover up thats not the type person i want in authority position. fuck that shit if you want to be in a public position such as politics you should have no privacy.

u come across as very ignorant as to how the world works, like honestly.. you seem like a bible thumper who watches fox news

I'm trying, took my name off my web site. People want to share their life. It's like saying, "Here, look at me, I'm doing something cool." And you also want to participate in conversations, which may involve talking about minorities.

Right there you're screwed, because the only correct answer is to be a flaming liberal who wants to give everything to bums. If you come out as a conservative, then you're labeled as a racist. That becomes an issue when you stand for conservative values.

For example, I'm VP of our HOA, been there for 8 years, no problems, haven't increased our dues, all the money is there, no corruption. Yet if I wanted to run for a city commission seat, all the things I've said about minorities would come out, and they would "Sterling" me. His name is now a verb. Yet the board I'm on has been together for 8 years.

If you want to run for political office, you'd have to plan for it in grade school, and not say anything on the internet.

Just wondering ... do you think that voters should know nothing about the beliefs and views of the candidates standing for election? If so, on what do you think they should base their selection?

I think what NGFM was trying to point out is that we should be judging people by who they are, not who they were 10, 20 or 30 years ago

and he's absolutely right, someone who wants to be president should basically start closely monitoring their entire online presence by the time they hit grade school, because even if you never do drugs, but tried a joint once back when you were 15 -- and it's somehow online in some form when you're 45 years old -- this shit can come out and absolutely wreck a promising career despite the fact it's utterly insignificant/trivial

I mean I'm pretty sure this exact situation has happened numerous times with politicians, which is stupid, but at least politicians are able to defend themselves and point out how stupid it is

if this shit happens when you're applying for a job though, and you get turned down as a result, it's not like you get to stand up infront of the company for 10 minutes and explain the situation

^^^^

Exactly correct. Arnold was smoking pot in his documentary when he won the body building championship. They tried to use that against him when he wanted to become governor. He was still able to win, but crap like this has destroyed others. And the good thing about Arnold, he tried to make a difference, then got out (not a career politician). That's the way it should be, give everyone a chance instead of the lawyers who win because they have the most money to campaign with.

Yes, I agree all the info should come out, but it needs to be in context of when it happened and why.

I used to say that if Google was the CIA, people would be going ape shit.

Now we have the NSA...

But people are ok with Google doing WAY more data mining than the NSA, because a multi-billion dollar corporation that openly opposes any and all right to privacy would ever abuse all that information, right?

the majority of the population is domesticated and love their bonds, some are merely tame, and very few are still wild human beings

this is dumb because it is almost futile to enforce

making up laws in spirit that can't be enforced are useless and just ends up with ppl getting screwed

they were talking about this on KPBS radio the other day.

it really is a double edged sword tho.

yea its a fair/good thing for the average joe like you and i or some poor teenage girl being bullied IRL and online to be able to take action and trying to remove(pointless anyway but lets play along) some fucked up stuff online but what about the other side of it?

Like politicians being able to hide their past.. im not so happy about that aspect of all of this.

all in all its a good idea not implemented well.
being able to get rid of comments/photos/whatever you've posted or someone else posted should be ok
but getting rid of articles published by a newspaper or whatever tmz blahblah, some sort of source that vets their shit, should not be allowed
i think that's a nice happy medium
if you did something in the past that makes it to "print" then you dont deserve to erase it

to counter "well we should know what they thought about 10 years ago, fuck that guy"
that implies people are stagnant and opinions cant change
which is great, if you're insane and want to live in a crazy terrible world
i'd hope that as people age and have experiences, their views change, and we can maybe judge someone for what they say and what their actions have been in the more recent past

Back