why no next bro

Google faces sweeping European court ruling that says it must remove certain information on user's request - San Jose Mercury News

Experts said the ruling is the latest of several moves by European authorities to stake out a stronger right of individual privacy than usually afforded by U.S. law. Officials of the European Union, which includes more than 500 million people, are mulling legislation that would go even further than the court in codifying what some call "the right to be forgotten," or to avoid being dogged by outdated, derogatory information.

"The so-called 'right to be forgotten' sounds great, but if you did something stupid and someone writes about it, why do you later have the right to have it erased as if it never happened?" asked Brian Wesolowski of the Center for Democracy and Technology, a Washington-based policy group.

they were talking about this on KPBS radio the other day.

it really is a double edged sword tho.

yea its a fair/good thing for the average joe like you and i or some poor teenage girl being bullied IRL and online to be able to take action and trying to remove(pointless anyway but lets play along) some fucked up stuff online but what about the other side of it?

Like politicians being able to hide their past.. im not so happy about that aspect of all of this.

all in all its a good idea not implemented well.

they were talking about this on KPBS radio the other day.

it really is a double edged sword tho.

yea its a fair/good thing for the average joe like you and i or some poor teenage girl being bullied IRL and online to be able to take action and trying to remove(pointless anyway but lets play along) some fucked up stuff online but what about the other side of it?

Like politicians being able to hide their past.. im not so happy about that aspect of all of this.

all in all its a good idea not implemented well.

Politicians hiding their past? jesus h, if you're relying solely on Google to learn of a politician's past you are a poor investigator

I am 100% behind this. Shit you said or did online ten years ago serves no purpose in existing, except as something potentially harmful and can be taken widely out of context, especially with great lengths of time involved

it's like if your boss knew that, when you were 16 and a kid, you were late for work a lot and therefore refuses you a promotion at your current job based on it

your employer doesn't have a right to know the kind of employee you were 10 years ago anymore than the average person has a right to look up someone else's internet activity from 10 years ago

people change, mature, grow up - and we live in a society where someone's political / business / whatever career could be jeopardized by somebody pointing out that when they were 14 they used a racial slur and morans overreacting to that

Last edited:
2lazy2read

It says "must remove certain information" ... which 'certain' information is it?

google never forgets

This, I've got most of my crap off of there, removing my real name. But it still remembers my web site, even though my name is no where on it.

It's all good when you want to share information, and put yourself out there, until an employer wants to look it up and next you. Or you did something stupid in the past, but now want to run for political office.

Last edited:
Politicians hiding their past? jesus h, if you're relying solely on Google to learn of a politician's past you are a poor investigator

I am 100% behind this. Shit you said or did online ten years ago serves no purpose in existing, except as something potentially harmful and can be taken widely out of context, especially with great lengths of time involved

it's like if your boss knew that, when you were 16 and a kid, you were late for work a lot and therefore refuses you a promotion at your current job based on it

your employer doesn't have a right to know the kind of employee you were 10 years ago anymore than the average person has a right to look up someone else's internet activity from 10 years ago

people change, mature, grow up - and we live in a society where someone's political / business / whatever career could be jeopardized by somebody pointing out that when they were 14 they used a racial slur and morans overreacting to that

Fitting.

mrrahhhhhhhh

Here's a thought: stop sharing your whole fuckin life on the internet.

honestly this is a great plan from someone who likely has no friends and lives in his mother's basement

in a lot of instances it's fairly difficult for an average, social person to stay 100% "anonymous" online without sacrificing a lot of their sociability.

again I can understand why basement dwelling nerdvirgins would say "god just don't share your personal information" because it's p easy to remain anonymous if your only friends in life are on the internet and you live in your mom's basement

why else do you think that group of neckbeard trolls is called anonymous

and most of the time it doesn't even have to do with "personal life".. any word, phrase, sentence you uttered once ten years ago can be misinterpreted, twisted, changed and put into a poor light. doesn't even matter what it is, telling some asshole to "fuck off" is the kind of shit that people can pull out and say "look! look at his aggressive behaviour!" it's exactly what the media does to politicians / celebrities consistently

the difference being politicians / celebrities are in the limelight and so it made sense that the media would have access to this sort of information. and, really, these people cash their paycheques knowing that everything they do and say is carefully scrutinized, it comes with the territory

for the average person who just posts their opinions online in comments sections and has a facebook account, though, the ability to do this is far too easy and the potential damage far too great

Last edited:
Here's a thought: stop sharing your whole fuckin life on the internet.
I'm trying, took my name off my web site. People want to share their life. It's like saying, "Here, look at me, I'm doing something cool." And you also want to participate in conversations, which may involve talking about minorities.

Right there you're screwed, because the only correct answer is to be a flaming liberal who wants to give everything to bums. If you come out as a conservative, then you're labeled as a racist. That becomes an issue when you stand for conservative values.

For example, I'm VP of our HOA, been there for 8 years, no problems, haven't increased our dues, all the money is there, no corruption. Yet if I wanted to run for a city commission seat, all the things I've said about minorities would come out, and they would "Sterling" me. His name is now a verb. Yet the board I'm on has been together for 8 years.

If you want to run for political office, you'd have to plan for it in grade school, and not say anything on the internet.

Last edited:
actually though I'm curious to see how this affects the workforce in the next 10-20 years

because right now people in the position of hiring for jobs, accepting applications, etc etc are middle aged / older and never had an online presence growing up

but in 20 years, everyone holding any sort of authoritative or management position will have likely had an online presence in their youth

so what's going to happen in the workforce when anyone can find out anything they want about everyone else, including their boss, the CEO, Susan from HR, Doug from Accounting, etc

like is the economy going to collapse because the only people in management positions in 20 years will have gotten them by pure virtue of never having had an online presence, rather than any merit?

if you are dumb enough to put shit on the web that affects your livelyhood in a negative way... you deserve it.

if i own a business i want to know who is working for me.

travace you post like you have no idea how the world works, which is likely why you're saying "if I own a business" rather than "I own a business"

you know how you know who is working for you? you get to know them. you judge them by their character, by the person they are when you speak with them.. like what, do you think that no business in the world was able to function properly and hire competent employees before we could google someone's name and see their life history?

it's come to the point where, if in a heated argument online you call someone a "faggot" or call your friends "fags", ten years down the road someone can pull this up completely out of context and use it to establish that you're intensely homophobic / etc.. apply this to any word. even words that are currently "okay" to use could become taboo ten years down the road -- and then what?

why you think this is acceptable is beyond me, but again you don't seem to understand how the world works

mrrahhhhhhhh

honestly this is a great plan from someone who likely has no friends and lives in his mother's basement

in a lot of instances it's fairly difficult for an average, social person to stay 100% "anonymous" online without sacrificing a lot of their sociability.

again I can understand why basement dwelling nerdvirgins would say "god just don't share your personal information" because it's p easy to remain anonymous if your only friends in life are on the internet and you live in your mom's basement

why else do you think that group of neckbeard trolls is called anonymous

and most of the time it doesn't even have to do with "personal life".. any word, phrase, sentence you uttered once ten years ago can be misinterpreted, twisted, changed and put into a poor light. doesn't even matter what it is, telling some asshole to "fuck off" is the kind of shit that people can pull out and say "look! look at his aggressive behaviour!" it's exactly what the media does to politicians / celebrities consistently

the difference being politicians / celebrities are in the limelight and so it made sense that the media would have access to this sort of information. and, really, these people cash their paycheques knowing that everything they do and say is carefully scrutinized, it comes with the territory

for the average person who just posts their opinions online in comments sections and has a facebook account, though, the ability to do this is far too easy and the potential damage far too great

Here's a clue: avoid full name association.

We already KNOW you do that... nerdvirgin

obibun, stop beating around the bush. what did you say online and what did it cost you?

Nothing really

but I'm thinking about myself ten years from now when I'm in a position of authority / whatever

because I'm sure over the 10+ years I've been a forum member here, for example, I've used my fair share of racial slurs / aggressive language, or shared my fair share of "controversial" opinions about things like minorities, gender, race, religion, all the hot topics

opinions that are generally 100% fine among friends and in closed discussions, but ones that could be taken severely out of context or simply misunderstood/exaggerated by hyper politically correct types liable to be offended at anything

and I'd wager a majority of people who post here, or really anywhere online, could say the same

why can't you just not be a stupid faggot on your own and not need a faggot law to protect you from when you are always a faggot?

Back