So..i need some opinions.

But Mitch, isn’t gambling a part of the game of poker? Why do Poker players find the word gambling so offensive?

But Mitch, isn’t gambling a part of the game of poker? Why do Poker players find the word gambling so offensive?

There's a certain amount of gambling in every hand you put chips in with. The skill part is in understanding the maths behind each individual "gamble" and applying that understanding in a way that's mathematically correct, consistently.

To illustrate further, most tournaments pay 12-15% of the field. The best players in the world make the money perhaps 18% of the time. The margins for error are quite small if you play too erratically. The biggest gamble is to apply incorrect maths and hope you win anyway. Sometimes you will, on average you wont.

Poker is a game of people, played with cards not the other way around. A mostly psychological game. Some of the best players make bluffing very dramatic to scare you to fold. You have to be intensely aware of the information you are giving out because the sharks can read you like a book.
At a table of 9, you will win legitimately about 11.111111% of the time. With bluffing you can go to 33.333333%. But as they say, you can't win them all.

The math for me is the easiest part. How many cards will make you a winner (known as "outs") and how many cards are left in the deck? (Also, be careful what you wish for). There's also the risk/reward factor, which I have very strict rules about.

I like this. And, AND Hornady, Federal, and Winchester will be none too happy with you either. Good.

What if you kept all your equipment for another few months, started leaving flyers at shooting ranges, and bought a domain name and web presence? Your hobby could turn into a decent side-hustle. Dunno, I'm just spitballing.

Yes, I'm still in favor of background checks, restricting the sales of semi-automatic weapons, and mandatory classes-- all of those things-- but I'm also an empiricist, and that means I'm aware those things aren't happening soon, especially in Florida.

Restricting the sales of semi-automatic weapons? Why are commies and libtards so retarded? Damn near every gun is a semi-automatic gun, ffs.

remember when juggs, when called out for falling for obvious crypto scam, transferred 10k from his savings acct to his checking to "prove" to tw that he didn't fall for obvious crypto scam lol

There's a certain amount of gambling in every hand you put chips in with. The skill part is in understanding the maths behind each individual "gamble" and applying that understanding in a way that's mathematically correct, consistently.

To illustrate further, most tournaments pay 12-15% of the field. The best players in the world make the money perhaps 18% of the time. The margins for error are quite small if you play too erratically. The biggest gamble is to apply incorrect maths and hope you win anyway. Sometimes you will, on average you wont.

I understand all that, but what I asked is why do poker players get offended at calling it gambling? At the end of the day, it is in fact gambling. Sure there is skill in calculating odds and reading people which can reduce your risks, but it still a game of chance. You can’t proceed without taking a gamble.

This is as good a place as any to drop this.

Just had a week long corporate outing with a 100 people out in a Duck Dynasty type environment that we had to ourselves with trophy bass water, skeet/trap and a ton of activities along with our work schedule. Anyway, they like to pull my leg about being from Portland. They know very well that I am from the Midwest. It doesn't matter.

So, I took the two Texas Holdem tournies in first place. I also got top gun on the skeet/trap course. I didn't have to say anything :)

Just had a week long corporate outing with a 100 people out in a Duck Dynasty type environment that we had to ourselves with trophy bass water, skeet/trap and a ton of activities along with our work schedule. Anyway, they like to pull my leg about being from Portland. They know very well that I am from the Midwest. It doesn't matter.

So, I took the two Texas Holdem tournies in first place. I also got top gun on the skeet/trap course. I didn't have to say anything :)

Was the point of this hell-on-earth to make you so abjectly miserable that you appreciate being at work more?

Duck Dynasty setting. ..bass fishing. ..cards . . shooting shotguns at flying clay. . .

I'd rather dive into a swimming pool full of razor blades than endure that. I'd rather shave my head with a cheese grater than attend this outing.

If you had fun, good on ya.

Not gonna lie, this sounds wicked fun. My company does Dave and busters, I like your deal way better.

shit my p365xl holds 13 9mm rounds in a pretty small package - what do u need 32 for?>

There are so many pocket carry guns made for .38 now it just seems inevitable they will start making new .32 ACP guns again.

I'm looking to get a Seecamp .32 for pocket carry, or perhaps ankle carry.

Hitler carried .32

6544343e17a4f605d90ae6c101b40cc559ab7b8485f6b.jpg

The dumbest thing I ever did at a company party was buy some underage employee alcohol when everyone went to the bowling ally. When I was a teen I always swore Id be the type of adult to not be uptight about buying alcohol for teens. His manager saw me in this nigh perfectly timed eye to eye glance right as I'm handing the kid the drink. Nothing was ever said about it so I feel lucky.

if your pistol round doesn't start with a 4, or have 'magnum' behind it, you need a different pistol.

.380, 32, 38, are all ok if you're trying to get someone off you or scare someone off, but even with 9mm, i've seen people walk off after taking a couple 9mm rounds.

if your pistol round doesn't start with a 4, or have 'magnum' behind it, you need a different pistol.

.380, 32, 38, are all ok if you're trying to get someone off you or scare someone off, but even with 9mm, i've seen people walk off after taking a couple 9mm rounds.

i could kill you easily with a .22

:shrug:

Back