say im poor as shit, but i want to batch cook something relativly healthy

You are in college. Sell weed you dumb fuck.

i actually considered it. but i dont really have the time. always on the go, not home much.

i go to juilliard for acting, and ThunderDawg sounds like a deal but i need a cash advance just as security.

chicken and noodles goes together pretty cheap, and if you make it with fresh carrots and celery, one of those grocery roaster chickens and frozen egg noodles you can get a lot of meals out of about $10. It freezes and reheats well too.

if you go to your college's experimental psych dept you might find a couple of experiments you could participate in - should give you enough bux for a week's cheap eatin

If you can find cheap leeks boil 2.5 lbs potatoes and 1.5 leeks until the potatoes are done in 4 cups of water or whatever. Salt and Pepper if you want it. Get a cheap roast cut thin and toss that in if you want. Make a stir fry with rice with the rest of the meat.

you can make big batches of black eye peas.

bag of black eye peas
half an onion chopped
a few strips of bacon

soak the black eye peas over night.

can make some cornbread if you want. good shit

got my family through the depression, and is one of my fav foods that my mother still makes

its not super cheap, but a big pot of carnitas is definetly batch cooking. i would buy a big pork shoulder, spice it up, then slow cook it. it would last me 4-5 days, i'd have to buy some tortillas, cheese, and salsa on the side tho. every time i got hungry i'd microwave up some carnitas, throw a tortilla on the pan with some cheese and eat. takes less than a minute to reheat everything up

id say its pretty healthy, theres not much starch, and nothings fried and theres no added oil or butter

Carnitas - eG Forums

do you have access to a stove and a fairly large pan and some cutting boards n shit
yup.

+ uno - sounds good. i love cornbread.

i'm actually really excited. i fucking love food so much i could actually eat all the shit in this thread all day, no problem. then when i occasionally do splurge (after i get my money situation sorted) it will be all the better. plus i'll have great stories about how all i ate were beans and rice and pasta and potatoes in the college days. lulz.

brown rice + chicken breast + spinach

obviously cook the brown rice

chicken breast, put about 3-4 in a pan, preheat oven to 375, stick it in there for 40 minutes. there's your food for the next 2-3 days. mix up the seasonings (make one cajun style, one with bbq rub ,etc)

boil water in a pot, dump in spinach, remove immediately when water goes back to a boil. put in a little salt.

eat an apple and an orange or tangerine a day, drink a glass of milk

carry around a water bottle and refill it with water to drink throughout the day instead of snacking

there's your healthy diet on the cheap

didn't read past first page, but i'll throw in

if you have the means, buy and cook a whole turkey or chicken once every 2 weeks

you can make tons of meals out of that, sandwiches, soups, etc

besides that, go with tuna fish, bread and eggs

fresh veggies are best, but expensive. go with canned.

and pasta is cheap enough, if you want/need more carbs

beans and rice bitch.it doesn't get simpler.

don't eat the msg-laden top ramen.

This. You can buy dried beans that that basically give you 5 times the amount for the same price a 16 ounce can costs. Rice is...well fuck its rice. Its cheap. As are the beans.

You can cook chicken, pork,turkey, beef, fish, whatever with it as well and still keep it under 20 a week in groceries. Mix it up a bit with pasta 2 or 3 times a week. I know canned sauce sucks but its cheaper then making it yourself for the most part. Borrow someones Sams card and you can literally get a 25lb bag of rice for about $5. Same with the beans.

Money is tight here right now while I am job searching and we eat chicken and rice 2 or 3 times a week and pasta 2 or 3 times a week. Once a week I cook either chili or lasagna because you can make a shit ton (3 or 4 gallons of chili or 3 or 4 lbs of lasagna) for cheap as well. At least, cheap compared to the amount of food you get. Its $20 but literally 3 days worth of food for either meal for 2 people.

Ramen is an ok snack. So are the cheap .40 burritos at Aldis.

The Sams club thing is a good tip as is the Aldis.

:sunny:

Someone said cornbread. Let me re-emphasize that. Cornbread + black eyed peas + a vegetable = a meal.

I like the asians idea best for retarded stoner op

I plan on making some vegi stew tomorow

campbells v8 juice + stew beef browned in skillet with black pepper/onion + carrots + potatoes + corn + green beans, garlic clove. cook for 2 hrs. v8 juice is the shit

Last edited:
Someone said cornbread. Let me re-emphasize that. Cornbread + black eyed peas + a vegetable = a meal.

word. skyhunter i already perked up at cornbread. my mom makes ill cornbread (with the corn in it) maybe ill get the recipe.

btw fresh veggies are cheap as shit if you have an asian supermarket near you

don't go to whole foods or some shit

light tuna and rice
tuna can actually taste pretty decent if you stir fry it and whatever spices you like

Back