New Haswell-E chips out

Letting AMD die is the worst thing that can happen.

FX CPUs aren't bad really, they just run a bit hot and consume more power than similar level Intel CPUs. The thing is CPU is way more powerful than most people need nowadays, so the AMD CPUs would serve most people just fine as CPUs are no longer the bottleneck in your system.

Every benchmark I see shows AMD cpu's performing below an i7/i5... but, um, it's like $50-$100 cheaper, so there's that I guess...

is it worth it to get an x99 system for the ddr4 ram?

I am thinking
8 gigs ddr4 2133
R9 280x (add a second one later on)
Asrock Extreme 4
Samsung 850 pro SSD

decent case/non liquid cooling, 1000 w brand name 80 plus power supply etc. ~$1400 vs about $200 less for a z97/i5 system w/ DDR3.

is that extra dough worth it? even if not from an immediate performance perspective but from a short term future proofing one?

There doesn't seem to be any major benefits to having DDR4 memory so far. Future proofing though, sure.

As others have said, for gaming there's no reason to upgrade to an X99 chipset.

The only point I'm curious about is SLI/Crossfire performance. I'd like to see how two cards perform in this system with the increased PCI Express lanes.

Every benchmark I see shows AMD cpu's performing below an i7/i5... but, um, it's like $50-$100 cheaper, so there's that I guess...

The thing though is that in real use it doesn't matter.

I have a GTX 760 nd an AMD 8350 and I can run everything on max.

The only games where I have seen slow down is in Arma 3 which is notorious for performance issues and the Evolve alpha which was not optimised yet (every had slowdown on max settings).

So bench marks might be impressive stat wise but they don't often carry over to real use in a lot of applications.

is it worth it to get an x99 system for the ddr4 ram?

I am thinking
8 gigs ddr4 2133
R9 280x (add a second one later on)
Asrock Extreme 4
Samsung 850 pro SSD

decent case/non liquid cooling, 1000 w brand name 80 plus power supply etc. ~$1400 vs about $200 less for a z97/i5 system w/ DDR3.

is that extra dough worth it? even if not from an immediate performance perspective but from a short term future proofing one?

I am thinking about selling my 4770k and Asus hero and going 5820k. If u get 280x do not get the sapphire toxic, it artifacts like crazy and u have to downclock it.

Honestly I find it silly to hear people say we need AMD just to keep Intel honest. AMD has said that they're not even trying to compete with Intel on the high end CPU front. Intel is king of the hill and they know it, they've given up that race. AMD also isn't doing jack shit to bring CPU market pricing down other than marketing tactics (8 cores! 5Ghz! Costs less!).

On the CPU end AMD is catering to the consumers who just want a processor that'll boot into windows and run their everyday applications, or people who want 8 cores on the cheap. AMD has moved on to other market segments where they can compete, with video cards (thanks ATI!) and manufacturing APUs for consoles.

here's what I made for $1492
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-5820K Six-Core 3.30GHz 15MB Intel Smart Cache
CASE: Thermaltake Urban S21
COOL: Intel BXTS13X Water/Liquid Cooling Thermal Solution
VID: HIS IceQ X2 AMD Radeon R9 280X 3GB GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16 Video Card
MEM: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR4/2133MHz Memory (Corsair)
HDD1: 128GB Samsung 850 PRO Series SATA-III 6.0Gb/s SSD - 550MB/s Read & 470MB/s Write
HDD2: 500GB Western Digital Caviar Blue SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 7200 RPM HDD
MB: ASRock X99 Extreme4 ATX w/Intel GbeLAN, 3x Gen3 PCIe x16, 2 PCIe x1, 1x Ultra M.2, 10x SATA 6GB/s
PS: 1,000 Watts - Thermaltake Toughpower - 80 PLUS Gold

this is a "from scratch" situation. my old computer which shit the bed last winter I built in 2006 I think. it was an overclocked E6300 w/ a Radeon 4870. I can't even remember what video card it started out with, but I know at one point I upgraded with an 8800gt. it could run BF4 but not on very high settings... :lol:

edited - shows what I know - I guess Intel recommends liquid cooling so I swapped out the fan only one I had listed.

Last edited:
the place I used jumps from 850w to 1000w for the available choices. it calculated a future crossfire setup to need 770w. so instead of under 100 spare watts I went with over 200.

Also, the 1000w one is currently cheaper than the corresponding brand name 850w ones via rebate.

this idea is open to ridicule, I am not remotely an expert.

Last edited:
The 1tb wd blue cost $5 more. Also I don't see a point in a ssd. Do you turn off your computer everyday or just leave on standby?

It's not just the booting
everything is insanely fast, you notice it on applications.

I personally just standby

I didnt think the utility and speed of an SSD drive to at least house the OS was in question. again, this is based on what I've gleaned on the interweb so it's not something I maintain as an expert. =\

You either don't have Sata3 or you're lying because that's impossible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back