[LOL] hd-dvd is totally dead

you're right. it was rumor yesterday.

the nerds are just upset that their preferred format (preferred but not supported cause they still didn't buy one) is dead.

So if Halo moves to PS3 the 360 is dead?

These studios are not going bluray only. They just stopped being HD-DVD only. Oh no!

too bad harmony doesnt have bluetooth

too bad sony was fucking retarded and decided not to put IR in the PS3 like EVERY OTHER CONSUMER ELECTRONICS ITEM THAT HAS REMOTE CONTROL.

I mean that's just really fucking dumb.

These studios are not going bluray only. They just stopped being HD-DVD only. Oh no!

When all the other majors are only releasing on blu-ray and HD-DVD has no exclusivity or any draw cards (apart from misguided fanboi rage about codecs)...who do you think is going to be winning the 'sales' in a format war?

This is like all the games companies release only for the PS3 and MS saying ok we'll release our games no longer just on the 360 but also on the PS3. It's obvious to see which format will win.

edit: Or if you want the even more obvious. The HD-DVD camp when even buying companies can't retain exclusivity...whilst the other camp gets exclusivity for 'free'...joke yet much?

Last edited:
This is like all the games companies release only for the PS3 and MS saying ok we'll release our games no longer just on the 360 but also on the PS3. It's obvious to see which format will win.

That will never happen.

although id like to see a standard format, id really REALLY like to see a combo so at least the movies wont have to be repurchased. if the players can have their firmware updated to the new blu-ray or whatever standard if thats even possible, thatd be nice too

cause im not shelling out cash for another player, fuck that, especially a 600 dollar hybrid

ill just pirate em

So is there now no problem with producing / finding the raw resources for the blu ray drives? I thought there was some big deal on some component of the laser that limited production.

So is there now no problem with producing / finding the raw resources for the blu ray drives? I thought there was some big deal on some component of the laser that limited production.

both the HD-DVD and Blu-Ray players actually use a violet laser, so it seems. the reason combo drives are possible im guessing. im not 100% on that.

That will never happen.

It was an example you could relate to, calm down before you have a data overflow (oh wow i crack myself up when i'm tired).

to lgbr:
The only blu-ray player I know of that can be updated properly is the PS3.

There was even a Total HD concept by Warner that was shelved (had HD-DVD on one side and Blue-ray on the other side) after Paramount shifted to HD-DVD. Rather ironic that the switch to HD-DVD in someways accelerated a shift to Blue-ray for Warner.

for now.
You don't think that will be the next step?

go buy an HDDVD player than.

I bet you won't :)

HDDVD player sales have just come to a screeching halt

Last edited:
At one point in 2007, Sony had bought all the blue laser diodes to put in their PS3s. Sony had all the raw blue diodes in the world.

Of course, nobody stopped producing blue laser diodes just because Sony had bought them all. In fact, production of diodes probably increased in response.

to lgbr:
The only blu-ray player I know of that can be updated properly is the PS3.

As far as I remember though, all HD-DVD players were supposed to come with a mandatory ethernet port for firmware updates + online content (mine does, I remember reading that they were all supposed to)

so what would stop toshiba or whoever from just being like "okay, fuck it, fag-ray wins, but we'll at least thank the people that supported us by flashing their firmware to read blu-rays as well as HD-DVD"

that would be fucking so amazing

but of course they wont

theyll release their own blu-ray player for the amazing low low price of 400 dollars!

Back