Ideas for mechanical project?

Togowack

Veteran XV
Before graduate I must either design something mechanical or make something as a final project. Project does not need to be that crazy. If I don't find something the instructors will for themselves.

Ideas so far:

Vacuum dust boot for CNC machine, composite design, CNC airflow contour inside

Parabolic Solar Satellite power plant - first use for hydronic heat, have a 50" aluminum satellite, possibility of using Sterling engine also

If there is a more complicated idea that would be fun I would then ask some other students to join. Big class this year so could be anything.

The university is hoping you invent something cool so they can make a bunch of money for free.

Car related - I want a forward facing sensor that will tell me how far I am from the curb stop. Funny how they have this for rear backing, but not front. People tear up the undersides of their cars.

I want stop lights that count down here in the USA, with all of them plugged into the web so I can look on my phone and know when the light is going to change.

The university is hoping you invent something cool so they can make a bunch of money for free.

Car related - I want a forward facing sensor that will tell me how far I am from the curb stop. Funny how they have this for rear backing, but not front. People tear up the undersides of their cars.

I want stop lights that count down here in the USA, with all of them plugged into the web so I can look on my phone and know when the light is going to change.

the front facing sensor is a good idea, but i don't know if looking at your phone instead of the traffic signal is

These aren't manufacturing students they are engineering students, even though there's lots of machines (the college has tons of CNC's) a turbine would be crazy. Sterling engine is just a few parts. I have no idea how much power the satellite would actually generate, a couple kilowatts peak during the day I would hope.

The common sense approach would be to make something as simple as possible to get it over with.

Also hope to stay away from electronics and instrumentation, unless it is really worth it because we are not really electronic/instrumentation techs. But it is possible.

Some past projects included more efficient designs for pistons (thermodynamic) a new kind of wind shield wiper (a plastic mold, and a cop out project) cabinets for aquaponic grow op (weed), the college is of course working on solar car and electric bike and jigs and fixtures for these projects,

- Retractable turn signals for electric bike
- Foot pegs, brake bar, rear swing arm
- Brake rotors, sproket, calipers, custom wheel hubs, motorcycle lift, battery pack lift, aerodynamic carbon fiber body, fold out solar panel package, air dam, vent motors, battery cooling

Vacuum form tool storage for 1st year sterling engine students
automated washing/anodizing system for aluminum parts

Most of these projects are either to make assembly/ongoing work a bit more convenient or to improve by making more lightweight components for these vehicles.

$$$$$$$

Anyone here working on a car, motorbike, whatever?

custom dash boards, custom seats, any kind of custom engine part (this would be a favorite), suspension, hubs, rims, outside effects or accessories

throw in a couple bucks and I'll ship.

Last edited:
What about a turbine would be crazy?

What type of prime movers do you think most power generator use?

just crazy because of the manufacturing involved. A turbine would be possible if separated into different components and the one component would qualify as a project and the calculations on their own for that single part would qualify.

At least I would think, we have a 3D printed turbine and I think its just too much for a 4 month part time deal.

Build a higher efficiency water wheel with a much lower profile than old style water wheels. The drive shaft then generates electricity for a house or to pump water out of the river for a farm.

Be good for them third worlds.

Back