I hiked 23 miles yesterday

ptavv

Contributor
Veteran XX
A friend of mine and I decided to go to Havasupai Falls.

Normally people hike or take a donkey ride down from the parking lot at Hualapai Hilltop down to the campground by Havasu Falls (10 miles from Hilltop to Havasu Falls).

We decided to do it in a day because we're dumb.

A few years ago there was a giant flood that changed the place a whole lot. Navajo falls looks like this now:

navajo.png

Just past Navajo falls is a totally new falls that they call Rock Falls that you can jump off (it's ~30 ft I'd guess), which we did (duh). You can walk right out into the middle of the falls because the water is really shallow and the current is pretty weak since it's pretty widely spread.

rock.png

After Navajo/Rock falls the next place you get to is the real Havasu Falls.

havasu1.jpg

havasu2.jpg

The next falls you can hike to is Mooney Falls. To get to it requires a pretty sketchy descent with some chains and stuff that are screwed into the rock face.

mooney1.jpg

The falls are awesome though.

mooney2.jpg

Doing the whole hike in a day is very doable, but the end fucking sucks. You climb 2k ft of elevation (from ~3k ft to ~5k ft) in 1.5 miles.

Edit: We started at 4:30 am and finished at 7:30 pm. We spent a lot of time fooling around at the pools and stuff and took naps for a bit too.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, in case it's not clear, this place is on the S Side of the Grand Canyon. So the hike in is ugly as shit (although really majestic) since it's high Arizona desert and some of the canyons of the Grand Canyon. Then you start getting near the creeks and river and it turns super lush and green.

And the rock looks like that because there's tons of travertine in the rock that gets picked up by the water. It functions basically like tiny tiny bits of quickrete in the water, so you get these crazy pools and stuff, and the bottom of the river feels like someone haphazardly poured concrete across the entire bottom in a lot of places (def bring some sort of water shoes if you go).

the havasu pic is actually really cool i'm probably gonna turn it into a desktop wallappaer

looks like an awesome hike...i really need to get down to the southwest to do some hiking/climbing some time

Last edited:
no i didn't take them

we didn't bring a camera bc the only one we had in the car had dead batteries

A++ that is some distance for one day.

im prolly not in good enough shape to do that many miles with that kind of elevation change.

Was there 2 years ago. Beautiful and I wish I would have spent more than 1 night there. You definitely should've done more than a day. I can't believe how different Navajo Falls look after the flooding.

We did the GC itself (South Rim to Phantom Ranch, to South Rim) the day after we returned, totaling about 50 miles in 5 days.

Last edited:
Do you think you could walk 100 miles in 24 hours? Not climbing like this - just along a relatively level road for instance. This was a prop bet I saw on another site. Curious what the TW hikers think.

Havasu Falls is one of the better hikes in the Grand Canyon. I've done it 3 times and still want to go back for more.

Back