I hiked 23 miles yesterday

Question: can you just set up camp wherever and spend the night? I wanna go.

not in the canyon

you can camp wherever you please on the road to get to hualapi hilltop (hilltop is literally 100 miles from the nearest tiny ass town and like 65 of those miles are on a tribal road that exists only to get to hilltop, but has tons of places you can get off the road and drive up some dirt tracks and camp for free)

camping at the havasupai campground needs reservations (they were booked which is part of the reason we did the one day trip) and you have to pay a fee to enter the area as well as another one to camp (it's like $35 to enter the area and then like $10/night to camp i think)

the place books up very quickly (they had no openings until early August when we asked), but if you go and are a small party you can often get a spot w/o reservations (or you can just pay to "enter" and then set up camp in the giant camping area and run the very tiny risk of having a tribal ranger ask to see your permit and get fined)

They effect of silky waterfalls in daylight is obtained using ND filters. ND stands for Neutral Density and don't tint or distort the incoming light, only cut down the amount so you can do long exposures in daylight. They are like sunglasses for your lens.

The other cool thing you can do with ND filters is setup long exposure pictures indoors in what would normally be a high trafficked area by people (like a mall or museum). Since the people are constantly moving but the area is still, your picture ends up coming out like there was absolutely nobody there.

Thanks for tip :)

Back