Hot Sauce Thread

I have not had the pleasure of trying Secret Aardvark Habanero until finding out about it in this thread. Thank you TW.

Fucking awesome.

Tapatio makes coffee more better.

I've been cooking almost everything with this chili garlic sauce lately.
5532300192.jpg

3IB5you.png

My order coming in today. This is my third order for Dirty Dick's (lul) and it has grown to be one of my personal favorites. I'll have some insight on the others I haven't had before in a few days.

I have not had the pleasure of trying Secret Aardvark Habanero until finding out about it in this thread. Thank you TW.

Fucking awesome.
Yeah, it's good as a mild, I like it as well. It's different from Tabasco sauces because it's not vinegar based but more like pasta sauce with a kick. It won't burn your mouth off and has great flavor. I'll probably buy another bottle.

woah those look awesome

will wait for results

I am really lacking on my hot sauce. I generally make it but then my wife got me a fermentation kit so I've been focusing more on that (made kimchi on Monday)

woah those look awesome

will wait for results

I am really lacking on my hot sauce. I generally make it but then my wife got me a fermentation kit so I've been focusing more on that (made kimchi on Monday)

Have you tried making fermented hot sauce? I did it with a batch of jalafuegos and it made a nice complex flavor while mellowing the spice.

Have you tried making fermented hot sauce? I did it with a batch of jalafuegos and it made a nice complex flavor while mellowing the spice.

I'm still figuring out the basics

I thought it would be simple but I have fucked up too much already, always too salty

I'm still figuring out the basics

I thought it would be simple but I have fucked up too much already, always too salty

I always salt to taste instead of relying on recipe b/c every batch of peppers is slightly different with water content/pulp/etc when making a non-fermented canned batch of hot sauce

The fermentation process is a bit different from typical hot sauce making though, check the quote below

In stage one of lacto-fermentation, vegetables are submerged in a brine that is salty enough to kill off harmful bacteria. The Lactobacillus good guys survive this stage and begin stage two.

In stage two of lacto-fermentation, the Lactobacillus organisms begin converting lactose and other sugars present in the food into lactic acid. This creates an acidic environment that safely preserves the vegetables – and gives lacto-fermented foods their classic tangy flavor.
Easy Lacto-Fermented Hot Sauce - Fermented Food Lab

I always salt to taste instead of relying on recipe b/c every batch of peppers is slightly different with water content/pulp/etc when making a non-fermented canned batch of hot sauce

The fermentation process is a bit different from typical hot sauce making though, check the quote below

yeah but some of the recipes I see don't use a brine at all. Sometimes it is just adding salt the the veggie at the time.

Ya, be careful when experimenting with this stuff. Botulism can kill you or make you wish you were dead. Safety first.

yeah but some of the recipes I see don't use a brine at all. Sometimes it is just adding salt the the veggie at the time.

Typically when you salt the veggies the osmotic pressure forces water out of them and tends to submerge them in their own juices, but if there are large gaps between them (like in slices of pepper) you might need to give it a hand by salting a brine and submerging them to get complete coverage

20180420_235917988_i_OS.jpg

Both have good color, texture, and really good flavor but disappointed with not enough heat. The habanero has a very mild heat and deep smokey flavor but not what you’d expect from a hot pepper. The serrano has absolutely no heat at all. The consistency of both is similar to restaurant salsa served warm in a bowl. Both would be excellent with some warmed chips.

Where’s the heat, yo? Bring me the heat.

I'm going to email them to check if they’ve got anything many times hotter. You never know what they’ve been experimenting with.

Back