[gaming]EA Louse 'why warhammer failed' rant

retribution

Veteran X
Original blog/rant: EA Louse | Bye Bye Mythic
Cliffs: ex employee rants about management EA/Bioware Mythic.

I'm still not sure how I feel about this - making a rant about specific people online like this is really a shitty thing to do, and doing it anonymously is cowardly. Yeah, if he put his name on it he'd never work again, but that should've been a red flag not to do it in the first place.

Still, after so many stories about poor EA management and bad corporate policy everything he's said might be true. And my real wonder is if this will actually bring any kind of change, or at least put the management under some scrutiny.. I think it more likely that it will be talked about for a few weeks and be promptly forgotten as some bitter ex-employee's parting shot, but who knows.

I wonder how much EA lost on that APB game they published, that has to be up there in the fastest MMO failure in the history of MMO failures.

I believe what that blog says about the Star Wars MMO, but Star Wars geeks will still line up to play it.

So the guy says a few things about SWTOR that people on the public forum have been saying since 2008 and suddenly it's concrete? It's not like he listed off a bunch of issues the game has; he just said what people have been saying for 2 years. Play it for yourself (or don't) and then decide. It's amazing how people continue to think they can quantify something as vague as "the game is going to fail!" How can one disgruntled soon-to-be-former employee's opinion be true or false? It's a fucking vague prediction that isn't any more concrete than what people who have no connection to the company at all have been saying.

The amount of hatred in the SWTOR community is absolutely unreal. It's like no one actually wants the game to do well. If you make redundant vague threads about the game's impending failure you're just a wary consumer but if you so much as leave the possibility of success open you're a blithering mongoloid fanboy. I don't know what to expect from the game (though I fucking should have by now:() but I'm not about to make the type of claims people are making when I haven't even played the game.

Basically if you've actually followed the SWTOR community for a while what he says shouldn't strike you as a very big deal. Someone is about to be laid off and is angry, yet the SWTOR forums are exploding with people pretending he's brought new objective insider info to the fore! :rofl: That's really the biggest kick I get out of this. I mean if a guy who is about to get fired and is clearly (and understandably) angry about it isn't the most objective source for SWTOR news, what is?

The Warhammer stuff is interesting for sure, but this just mostly makes me hate the MMO community more than I already did.

Last edited:
Interesting to hear that about Warhammer. I always figured it failed because everyone expected a DAoC 2. What they got instead was an unfinished game with watered down DAoC features, that they have slowly been changing to be more like DAoC for about a year now. It's really a big joke.

Shouldn't be too difficult for people at EA to pinpoint who this guy is. Writing patterns are pretty hard to cover up.

it's pretty easy, he was asked about the art direction and he said he won't rat on his old boss. so he's a modeler, texturer, or concept artist. pretty easy to figure out who it is

still, sounds like a fucked up situation. best of luck to the guy. pretty much everyone I've heard of that's a developer that deals with a major publisher has a horror story in one form or another.

I've always hated all the hype about the Swtor voice over work.
I have too, but I'd be more inclined to believe what a "joke" the game is if he gave some specifics. I mean, as long as he's shitting on specific people, you'd think he wouldn't have too much of a problem breaking the NDA and telling us if the PvP is lackluster or if the game is devoid of content.

he's to concerned over polticial issues to have an opinion of the game. also most devs don't actually play the game

There is a 99% chance of me still playing, at least, my free month of swtor regardless of "leaked" infos. It has wookie pets.

Always take these things with a grain of salt. Ex employees will say anything about their former company.

Also, lets not assume this is a man. Not being able to let a bad work situation go is a classic woman move.

Also, lets not assume this is a man. Not being able to let a bad work situation go is a classic woman move.

actually I'm sure it's true

#1 I remember talking to some devs and they said they had never talked MBJ and seeing him on an IRC channel was the closest they had ever gotten to him. So the thing about not being able to talk to MBJ is true. Also anyone watching could tell all the PR hickman/fat screaming guy where ridiculous.

the one thing that is sketchy is the star wars stuff....its not like they would have played it themselves, mythic is not working on the game (despite having bioware added to their name, they pretty much have nothing to do with bioware)

if you had so many problems with the game and with the company, why would you still work there? the person is obviously disgruntled (not defending mythic, it probably is a crappy place to work)

Seriously, fuck this person.

You have to be a massive passive aggressive(not to mention stupid) douche to write something like this publicly and anonymously about a former employer, not to mention trash another development team's game that has yet to launch(SW:tOR).

The Star Wars team's livelihoods ride in part on the success of that game, so why is this asshole trying to mount up bad publicity for them? He/She is bitter about their own layoff, so why make it more likely for other employees?

I hope this coward gets blacklisted throughout the entire industry.

i won't have time to play this game, although i'd probably like to try it, so i'm happy to assume it's going to suck based on this

if i can't have fun then fuck the rest of you :]

Back