DUIs

the cops will pull you over without cause if they want, they will arrest you and charge you with whatever they want, and your best defense is to avoid them at all costs.

And remember: If you see one cop, begin looking for the second and third because they are close.

cab is 35 bucks each way
also you cant get insurance at a decent company for 5 years after a dwi/dui
which means you're paying huge down payments + huge money for really shitty coverage

I used to drink a fuckton but now it is pretty rare. The few times a year I go to a pub or local watering hole, I am never driving myself home. Also, Lindsey Lohan and Paris Hilton are not driving.

cab is 35 bucks each way
also you cant get insurance at a decent company for 5 years after a dwi/dui
which means you're paying huge down payments + huge money for really shitty coverage

while i agree that drinking and drivin is retarded and u should never do it

a cab ride from downtown to where i live is at least $60 one way

fuckin retarded

and they shut public transit down at like midnight

shitty luck 4 her

i have only been out in a major bar/club like twice in the last year

but the cost of round trip taxi back to my White Atlantis is $100+

or just drive home and risk the 5% chance of a DUI

+EV move

ya, fucking train here stops running at midnight
we spent 100 million making it and no one uses it on the weekends and we've got a huge bar scene right where it lets off in DT

keep it open till 3 am (last train leaves the DT station then) and holy shit you'd have huge ridership and stuff
but they're a bunch of assholes and want the DUI money
buses dont run but around 10% of the city and we have like 10 cabs for 1 million people

Don't hire an attorney for your first one. Sit in on some arraignments and sentancings with the judge you're going to be in front of. You'll get a feeling of what's going to happen and what NOT TO DO.

A court official will probably do a screening before sentancing and possibly a substance abuse assessment of some sort. Lie through your teeth, but make it convincing. You might dodge alot of counseling (depending on judge) if you play your cards right.

Many states have some sort of agency that compiles records for all the lower court judges decisions and sentancings for DUI's. (Ex: Michigan's State police complies ours) That'll give you a great feeling as to what to expect in terms of sentancing.

Also, START AA MEETINGS!!!!! Go to a few a week the second you get out of jail. Go to a MADD vicitims impact panel. Do some communicty service, anything. Get documentation for all of it and get it to the judge before sentancing AND have the file ready to go at sentancing. That'll help more than you know.

Get a copy of the arrest report, make light of any positives as you email, call, or meet with the Prosecutor trying to plead the charge down to regular DUI from 'super drunk' (normally >.17), impaired (not technically drunk driving, just unsafe) to regular, or drunk and disorderly from impaired. This is a crucial step.

Do NOT notify your insurance and DO NOT update any applications you have with employers. The lag time for criminal searches is insane!

This is coming from an attorney that has went through the DUI process. Just bite the bullet. The above mentioned compilation of court decisiosn for michigan showed that out of nearly 30,000 misdemeanor DUI tickets issued in the state, only 29 recieved a not guilty verdict. Attorneys will not get you out of a ticket, they will mostly just take your money.
the madd impact panel is pretty much mandated as a punishment everywhere. don't bother with AA, just forge a sheet of signatures that you showed up (actually - don't bother - they don't give a shit about this, if you want to show them something that matters, go to some kind of rehab [pick the one the state sends people to] and get a letter from your counselor by your court date that says you are attending an official rehab program regularly and are being administered regular tests)

You should get a substance abuse assessment and you should say exactly this: "I drink at most once every few months but I had a friend in town the night I was arrested and I went uncharacteristically overboard. I was unable to hold the liquor and went out which is something I would never do in a clear state of mind.". In most states as a first offender, you will get sent to 6 or so classes and as long as you stay clean of the system for 6-12 months the charges should be dropped (conditional discharge). They will still find a way to fine the shit out of you but whatever, you got off your DUI. You will probably still lose your license for 3-6 months but you can get a conditional to drive to work and usually to run a small amount of errands.

I don't know why these lawyers are saying skip a lawyer on your first. ANYTIME YOU ARE IN COURT LAWYER UP and don't go public defender. I saw a 60+ y/o male get sentenced to 2 YEARS in prison on his first offense with a public defender. Attorneys are the system, man, you want one on your side. It will make life so much easier for you. You don't want that public defender who doesn't give a shit about you, you want the guy you are paying. I guarantee you will have a better result. Plus, you probably aren't eligible for a public defender anyway.

what are marijuana-legal states doing as far as driving while stoned? how do they test?

thats a hard one but i did read something about a guy making a device... cause you know weed stays in the system for up to 30 days usually.

i will try to find it. regardless of what most think weed does not effect motor skills like alcohol does. sure its not good and i wont argue that but its no where the same.

edit... http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/12/01/marijuana-breath-test-in-works/19746457/

Back