2019-nCoV

yea i wouldn't know anything about that process

i heard i pay double taxes in both countries from someone else too and was like wtf that would be like 70-80% of my earnings lol

Yeah, most of it is attorney fees, because you really do need an attorney to navigate all that bullshit. But the fees to apply for visa and then citizenship are relatively cheap. Coming from canada, visas are like 200, the app for citizenship is around $1500 or so. But like i said, it takes a while. Sometimes up to 10 years to complete the process

Its not that simple at all.

Says the guy that has never went through the process, as opposed to me...a guy that was married to a woman with a family of 10 people that all went through the process, and their friends that have also went through the process, and a few of my friends that have went and are currently going through the process.

The tampa bay area is like an epicenter for immigration. There must be 100's if not 1000's of IM lawyers.

But just for grins...lets Ask google

People also ask
How much does it cost to immigrate to the US from Canada?
Despite its popularity, for many, becoming a U.S. permanent resident or a citizen is a long and costly process. If we sum up all the specific payments towards acquiring citizenship in the USA, the total ranges from $4,000 to $11,300. However, most people end up spending between $6,000 and $8,000.

It's really not as expensive as everyone thinks, it is just a very long, convoluted process. The process is sped up if you have a job here and the company sponsors you, or you marry someone here...but you can also speed the process along if you get a u.s. citizen to sponsor you.

So if you want to speed things up....we can get married, but you better believe you're going to put out on the honeymoon.

I don't have US family or a US wife, nor am I willing to uproot my family to a new country where I'll live in limbo for 10 years waiting to be deported or maybe not.

I'm talking about a viable route to permanent residency, one that has an almost 100% chance of success. I understand that some folks are willing to jump the border illegally and dance around with cheap lawyers for 10 years before getting legal status, because they have nothing to lose...... but that's an entirely different conversation.

You're not listening. If you get a job here, you can get a company to sponsor you. You can also get a citizen to sponsor you.

The way it usually works is

Get work Visa
Get job
get sponsorship (company or person)
start process

Then just go about your life working and stuff.

There is no 'dancing around with cheap lawyers'. The immigration lawyers are needed to deal with all the bulllshit that comes along with the process. The really just do the paperwork but if that paperwork isn't done correctly or in a timely manner it can slow things down tremendously or fuck things up all together. Using the lawyer isn't some kind of slick side-step. They are a necessary evil of the overall process.

And at this point that is the ONLY route to residency. There is a process, that process has a cost and must be followed. The cost is not that high, not super hard, but does take time.

I'll give you an example. I had a couple friends from Colombia. He was a pastor, she was a teacher. They moved to Ohio, he got in with a church, she was hired as a spanish teacher at a local high school. They had a baby girl while here. Nice people, hard workers, caused no trouble, had work visas, etc. Very nice couple. The process too SO long because they didn't use a lawyer that ultimately the time limit on their work visa ran out and they literally had to walk away from everything, including their very nice home, to go back to colombia for like a year, and start the whole process again, then move back.

The next time they got a lawyer to help with the process and had no issues.

Last edited:
You're not listening. If you get a job here, you can get a company to sponsor you. You can also get a citizen to sponsor you.

The way it usually works is

Get work Visa
Get job
get sponsorship (company or person)
start process

Then just go about your life working and stuff.

There is no 'dancing around with cheap lawyers'. The immigration lawyers are needed to deal with all the bulllshit that comes along with the process. The really just do the paperwork but if that paperwork isn't done correctly or in a timely manner it can slow things down tremendously or fuck things up all together. Using the lawyer isn't some kind of slick side-step. They are a necessary evil of the overall process.

And at this point that is the ONLY route to residency. There is a process, that process has a cost and must be followed. The cost is not that high, not super hard, but does take time.

I'll give you an example. I had a couple friends from Colombia. He was a pastor, she was a teacher. They moved to Ohio, he got in with a church, she was hired as a spanish teacher at a local high school. They had a baby girl while here. Nice people, hard workers, caused no trouble, had work visas, etc. Very nice couple. The process too SO long because they didn't use a lawyer that ultimately the time limit on their work visa ran out and they literally had to walk away from everything, including their very nice home, to go back to colombia for like a year, and start the whole process again, then move back.

The next time they got a lawyer to help with the process and had no issues.

There is a short list of industry jobs they'll accept. Teachers are on that list. Burger flippers are not. For example.

EB-5 is the path for people like myself. And it costs a million.

I'm not really arguing and he's not wrong per se

We're just kind of talking about different things

I'm not really arguing and he's not wrong per se

We're just kind of talking about different things

Hes talking about different things. The discussion was about your ability/cost to get citizenship.

Hes an idiot who thinks the process his ex-rent a bride went through is the same for everyone.

Hes talking about different things. The discussion was about your ability/cost to get citizenship.

Hes an idiot who thinks the process his ex-rent a bride went through is the same for everyone.

Dude, nobody is talking to floribama trailer trash about immigration. You probably think all you have to do is marry your cousin and move one county over. Stay in your lane redneck.

There is a short list of industry jobs they'll accept. Teachers are on that list. Burger flippers are not. For example.

EB-5 is the path for people like myself. And it costs a million.

So why do you have to apply up front as a businessman/investor? Why couldn't you apply as a citizen...and then later open a business?

Back