Why do people think they can stand in a parking spot to hold it?

Let's see... with one extra minute of walking, you will burn about 5 calories. Round trip it and you burn 10 calories per time you park. Since it takes a deficit of about 3500 calories to burn a pound, you will only have to park far away 350 times to lose a single pound! Great job!

No wonder this country is so fat. "lol but i go walking in the mall!". Go get on a treadmill

It's not always about calories. When you move, it builds muscle and keeps the heart healthy. As to calories, the more muscle you have the more you burn calories, even when sitting still.

By the way, the 3500 you mention is per week. All activity you do adds towards that.

Last edited:
Regarding parent & child parking, there are a few places around here in NoVA that have that. Wegmans in Fairfax is the first that springs to mind.

:lol: i wouldn't move for you i don't care how fast your flying back. Pedestrians don't have to move for crap, you hit anyone still your fault. sue you and profit mad $$$$ and find out where you live so i can drive by in a hummer with your money and flaunt it in your face
No, moron. The part that would not have happened is me hitting you. :lol:

Dumby still doesn't understand that hitting a pedestrian because he was claiming "I WAS BACKING UP SLOWLY" is still not justified for assaulting someone?

I already told you what will happen dumby. Go ahead and try it next time and see where that action will land you.

Social darwinism at its best.
Yeah ok. That's why Stinkfist has posted 4 incidents, and two of which didn't yield charges for hitting the person. Dumb fuck. :rolleyes:

Again, it's not as cut and dry as you're pretending it is. And I said from the beginning that I could be charged with assault.

Oh, and that's not to mention that you said you were educating me in TORT LAW :)lol:), implying that I would have to pay for "damages" done (pray tell, which damages?). Now you're conflating that stupidity with this position that I could be charged with assault, which is something I've said from the beginning (plus it doesn't fall under tort law).

Moran.

Nice, gotta love the "we have children" line, as though that somehow makes them more deserving of the spot. Fuck that cunt.

I love how people think that just because they decided to have a few crotch droppings, that somehow gives them the right to impose their inconveniences on others.

Last edited:
Let's see... with one extra minute of walking, you will burn about 5 calories. Round trip it and you burn 10 calories per time you park. Since it takes a deficit of about 3500 calories to burn a pound, you will only have to park far away 350 times to lose a single pound! Great job!

No wonder this country is so fat. "lol but i go walking in the mall!". Go get on a treadmill

Do you not realise that a little bit of extra walking here and there adds up really quickly, helps speed up your metabolism, etc?

Come on, don't be a retard.

Last edited:
You're still subjecting yourself to a foreseeable danger, and you're breaking the law. A "reasonable person" (look that one up as well) always follows the law. . . slowly backing up and sounding my horn to warn a lawbreaker of a potential danger hardly constitutes neglect or reckless driving. . . Besides, what good will a suit do this woman anyway? What sort of damages would I be paying for? . . . The only thing criminal that I might have done is assault with a deadly weapon, but I highly doubt those charges would stick.

forgive me if my answers/comments aren't in any particular order or organized appropriately. i've been writing things as i've been reading your responses in this thread. cliff notes: you're wrong about a lot of things you've said.

dear: dumpy dooby, esq.:

you should know that contributory negligence doctrines vary by state. some are a complete bar to recovery. some aren't.

if you intentionally hit someone with your car, there's no fucking way you're innocent, civilly or criminally. my guess is that you've exhibited prima facie reckless behavior. you should read up on the "eggshell skull" doctrine.

damages? you knock her over, she breaks a hip. hospitalization, pain and sufferring, can't work for 8 weeks @ $2,500/week. attorney's fees. punitive damages for being an asshole. you might have to sell the house bro. at the very least, if they find a lawyer to take the case, you're out $5K paying a defense lawyer. still worth it?

oh, you said you didn't hit her? well, remember that eggshell skull thing? turns out mrs. space hog has a mental illness and now will no longer walk in parking garages. this really sucks for her, since she has to park in one each day to get to work. so instead, her husband has to take her every day, which costs a few dollars in gas, some time delays, etc. these things might add up over 10 years though! uh oh, wait... her lawyer is really greedy though, and wants to claim intentional affliction of emotional distress (yes, that's a real thing!) once again, you gotta pay a lawyer 5-10k to defend you.

if you commit an act for which the consequences are reasonably foreseeable to cause harm, you've probably committed the tort of negligence. in your case, your act was KNOWING, not simply negligent. "knowingly" committing an act is a little higher up on the totem pole of offenses. we'd have to see what your state says.

assault with a deadly weapon? most state statutes don't define deadly weapon to include vehicles. automobiles generally get their own chapter in the state code. nice job pulling that one out of your ass, btw. by the way, what makes you "highly doubt those charges would stick?" are you a lawyer or just a really good guesser?

forgive me if my answers/comments aren't in any particular order or organized appropriately. i've been writing things as i've been reading your responses in this thread. cliff notes: you're wrong about a lot of things you've said.

dear: dumpy dooby, esq.:

you should know that contributory negligence doctrines vary by state. some are a complete bar to recovery. some aren't.

if you intentionally hit someone with your car, there's no fucking way you're innocent, civilly or criminally. my guess is that you've exhibited prima facie reckless behavior. you should read up on the "eggshell skull" doctrine.

damages? you knock her over, she breaks a hip. hospitalization, pain and sufferring, can't work for 8 weeks @ $2,500/week. attorney's fees. punitive damages for being an asshole. you might have to sell the house bro. at the very least, if they find a lawyer to take the case, you're out $5K paying a defense lawyer. still worth it?

oh, you said you didn't hit her? well, remember that eggshell skull thing? turns out mrs. space hog has a mental illness and now will no longer walk in parking garages. this really sucks for her, since she has to park in one each day to get to work. so instead, her husband has to take her every day, which costs a few dollars in gas, some time delays, etc. these things might add up over 10 years though! uh oh, wait... her lawyer is really greedy though, and wants to claim intentional affliction of emotional distress (yes, that's a real thing!) once again, you gotta pay a lawyer 5-10k to defend you.

if you commit an act for which the consequences are reasonably foreseeable to cause harm, you've probably committed the tort of negligence. in your case, your act was KNOWING, not simply negligent. "knowingly" committing an act is a little higher up on the totem pole of offenses. we'd have to see what your state says.

assault with a deadly weapon? most state statutes don't define deadly weapon to include vehicles. automobiles generally get their own chapter in the state code. nice job pulling that one out of your ass, btw. by the way, what makes you "highly doubt those charges would stick?" are you a lawyer or just a really good guesser?

good thing she got out of the way and he didn't hit her

whew that was a close one :psyduck:

DD didn't hit her, hurray. I agree that people shouldn't be standing in parking spots to reserve spots. I would've started to back in also, and honked. If whoever was blocking me didn't get out of the way, I would have called the police. When the police show up and the person still refuses to move, that's disorderly conduct, obstructing traffic. Yes, it's a parking spot. Guess what? It's still obstructing traffic. You're on the street. :shrug:

As for being getting in trouble IF DD had actually bumped her.... yes, he can get in a heap of trouble, easily.

In england there are parent and child parking at the front of all supermarkets. They are marked up as such. All the other parking spaces you have to shimmy down just to get into your car.

no one fucking cares about the UK

here in amerikkka, theres handicap and everything else

except im starting to see 'pregnant' parking which is asinine. i park in those at the grocery store any time theyre open

honestly i almost think handicap spots are bullshit too, i would not mind all spots being first come first serve

its not like anyone is going to die from having to park an extra 40 feet away. i could care less if you are a slow old man, if you are well enough to be out on the town and operating a vehicle, you are well enough to park wherever like everyone else.

(i hate old people and think they shouldnt be allowed to drive anyways)

gabe and invar both posted interesting responses

seems to me like dumpy dooby is a retarded armchair attorney and can't accept the fact he's wrong

DD didn't hit her, hurray. I agree that people shouldn't be standing in parking spots to reserve spots. I would've started to back in also, and honked. If whoever was blocking me didn't get out of the way, I would have called the police. When the police show up and the person still refuses to move, that's disorderly conduct, obstructing traffic. Yes, it's a parking spot. Guess what? It's still obstructing traffic. You're on the street. :shrug:

As for being getting in trouble IF DD had actually bumped her.... yes, he can get in a heap of trouble, easily.

I thought you were the police.

No offense but i have a feeling the police officer would have laughed. Now if she was waiting for someone who was on there WAY to the spot (like 5-10 min out) maybe a dif story. But by the time a cop got there they would of taken the spot and been long gone

in answering the original question, people do it to deter normal people from taking that spot, which usually works. It's not enough of a defense against raging fatasses who can't dare to walk more than 4 steps to go to mcdonalds.

No offense but i have a feeling the police officer would have laughed. Now if she was waiting for someone who was on there WAY to the spot (like 5-10 min out) maybe a dif story. But by the time a cop got there they would of taken the spot and been long gone
If I were to be called to something like that, I'd laugh, because it's a waste of time. Then I'd tell the woman to move and let the guy park. The overwhelming majority of cops (almost all of them) I know would do the same. If DD is already halfway in the spot, how's the other car going to get in?

Last edited:
I would have just stood there. Let him hit me and then shoot him with the 45 saying that it was self defence.

If I were to be called to something like that, I'd laugh, because it's a waste of time. Then I'd tell the woman to move and let the guy park. The overwhelming majority of cops (almost all of them) I know would do the same. If DD is already halfway in the spot, how's the other car going to get in?

No offense but i have yet to meet a cop who would tell a mother, who has kids to move, over a guy in his early w/e's over the woman.

Weird group of cops

Back