Tent inside home for heat retention during power outage. General Prep.

they make these magic devices called generators. I can run my whole house off mine and don't have to resort to a fucking tent lmao

Years ago i was working for a builder and this guy's wife asked if the builder could bolt the furnace to the floor slab.
Thinking to myself how weird that was I then asked her why she wanted it bolted down.
She said "in case of a tornado we'll still be able to heat some part of the house. hmmmm, so I said - if the tornado is strong enough to rip the house off the foundation and get to the furnace you won't need heating

Years ago i was working for a builder and this guy's wife asked if the builder could bolt the furnace to the floor slab.
Thinking to myself how weird that was I then asked her why she wanted it bolted down.
She said "in case of a tornado we'll still be able to heat some part of the house. hmmmm, so I said - if the tornado is strong enough to rip the house off the foundation and get to the furnace you won't need heating

:rofl: Should have asked if she wanted the breaker box and gas meter moved next to the furnace also...

In college I took a Scuba class taught by an ex-Navy deep sea diver and I couldn't help but be the snarky person in class. He told us about the dangers of flying 24 hours after diving, particularly if the cabin suddenly loses pressure, to which I was all "wouldn't that be my primary concern in that moment?" He also told us a story of a friend of his who had a boat sink while he was diving, and I was all "He didn't see it?"

It's been getting to be well below freezing at night. If the power were to go out I think I'd have a rough time. When Texas had the ice storm I saw on the news some people would set tents up inside their home.

Does this work well even if you don't have a heat source? Will your body heat be retained enough to matter? And if so, Im guessing as small a tent as possible would be preferable?

What are some other ideas to prep for something like power going out in the freezing winter?

just get a natural gas fireplace. it will continue to heat even tho power is out. found that out first hand earlier this month when the power went out for a hour. no power but my nat gas fireplace stayed on heating and providing light.

I have my pop up tent now. The bathroom shares the most walls with other rooms so I figure it would retain heat the best. There is going to be a freeze tomorrow and maybe snow. I don't expect the power to go out but it's nice to have this stuff in case. Im charging devices tonight. I have space blankets in my car too. If I had to endure a freeze with no power month ago it would have been rough.

This sherpa lined robe is really nice. Fleece is a wal-mart people fabric that's use too much in robes. This makes me want a sherpa lined jacket now.

Im going to bake cookies and make soup tomorrow since it will snow.

have you started practicing to see how fast you can set the tent up? What's your best time so far?

Back