T:V Purchases

What are your thoughts on Tribes: Vengeance?

• Bought the game and like it.

Votes: 839 44.8%
  • Bought the game and DON'T like it.

Votes: 152 8.1%
  • Undecided

Votes: 149 8.0%
  • Haven't bought, but plan on it.

Votes: 436 23.3%
  • Haven't bought, DON'T plan on it.

Votes: 297 15.9%

• Total voters
marantz said:
T2 Classic has infinitely more depth than Q3 or UT. it takes a shazbotload longer to master even the basic movement necessary in T2 Classic (which is similar to T1 and T:V) than anything does in Q3. if you've played tribes before it's not hard, but think back to when you were learning to use a jetpack for the first time...it can take months alone just to learn how to properly move around and ski, much less aim with the kind of lead it takes to use a spinfusor.

I was mostly speaking about T2 base with speedcap. I liked Classic too but i dont think that it had more depth than T:V just because it had more stuff.

And mastering trickjumping and stuff in Q3 cpma takes months/years too. So hard to say which game has more depth.

slut said:
This game doesnt have any gameplay issues. This game is just too hard for people to understand. I keep saying it but ill say it again. Even a vet has a hard time adapting to t:v. People keep talking about losing jet energy and yet you can go mach 5 on every map if you know what the hell you are doing. The game has no depth? Are you guys joking? There is so much crap to learn. Grapple, bomber, pod, LD, HO, capping, Rover, tank, routes, HOF, ect... the list just goes on and on (compare this list to a simple shooter games) Sometimes i swear it feels like im playing a different game than some of these people posting. The game is great but the marketing sucks the big fat black one.

Part of the problem here are:

1) maps (size and design)
2) team size (engine capability and community preference)

There is a terrible vehicle flaw in T:V (vehicles spawn, but by contrast you 'buy' a mine - makes absolutely no sense). That is just a comment. It still works - IG just had a brain fart IMO.

This community (gametype preference plus team size) with these maps will probably only have limited use for the vehicles. Imagine V2's vehicles (just an example, calm down) on these maps. Wouldnt make any sense.

With different map design, it could be a different game - but then again - not in this community. (This community doesnt like or want combined arms - lots of vehicles etc. That isnt a criticism just a fact).

As it is, it looks to be a terrific game. This community will use it pretty much as designed I suspect. With lowered emphasis on vehicles and an increased emphasis on the individual fragger.

I dont plan on playing it in MP (I bought it - $53) so you can ignore this, but I would leave it alone and just play. Played as delivered it looks to be fun and very very close to what this community wants.

I'm pretty sure the part of the community that likes vehicles and all the other variants of Tribes that have been around( ie renegades, shifter, etc ) will eventually mod them. I think T:V is probably the most mod-friendly of the three games.

Colosus said:
No. There's potato, poato salad, potato tartar, french fries... There's a lot of freaking potatos. Tribes 2 is not teamPLAy. It is teamWORK. You are FORCED to work as a team to accomplish simple tasks.

Tribes: Vengeance focuses on teamPLAY in which, if you work as a team, you can accomplish your goals much faster and much easier, but a good player is still capable of performing their tasks alone, but with more difficulty.

THAT'S the difference. It has nothing to do with how many packs there are or how many vehicles or how many players. It all comes down to gameplay.

Remember, games are supposed to be fun, not a chore.

Pick a different term. :) English has 35000 plus of them. People will never keep that straight.

Killjoy- said:
1. The E-pack % was more true for Base than Classic. Classic did open up the SJ pack as well as other packs to a certain extent. But it was forced paper rock scissors. They come SJ? Deploy cameras. Thats not very deep.
cameras die VERY easily, and you can't have cameras out everywhere. a big part of playing O is knowing when to go head on into the base/at the flag and when to sit back a little bit away and spam nades/mortars to draw the defense away from the flag. cameras don't do shazbot to stop the latter.

2. I can probably think of 4 maps total that having a sensor network was viable/helpful in classic to the point where you would actually script it into a strat.
as i said, your argument was partially correct. sensor networks weren't vital, but they helped in some instances.

3. Farming turrets verses 300+ routes was not effective in classic.

"it's becoming more and more apparent that you never played either on or against a good classic team. farming was imperative on some maps and not as necessary on others. good cappers weren't usually affected by them, but for everyone else they could pose a problem."

Wait so I never played for or against good teams, but good cappers aren't effected by Turrets..which is what I stated. GJ contridicting yourself btw.
there's more to offense than just cappers. alot more. and if you knock a HO or capper off his route and there's a farm around, that really helps you finish him off.

4. Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It still came down to Coordinated Offense, skilled LD, and flag awarness.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"yes it did, and that's how it should be."

5. So basically you agree that all the extra crap in t2 did not define the "depth" required for good competition. GGs.
yah, more stuff != depth. if the stuff is useless and/or just retarded then that becomes even more true. i think T:V has more depth than T2...i never it argued the other way. reading comprehension++

Can we argue about T1 vs T2 vs T:V somewhere else. This poll is starting to pull in decent numbers - it would be nice to get back on topic and get more voting.

YYZ said:
Are your FPS's shot in Doom3 or other current games?
What's the command to view fps in Doom3? Same as Q3?

If your running a dual monitor setup, make sure you're in single monitor mode, V-sync off of course and as you said AA totally off.

By turning my second monitor function off on my vid card 6800GT, I got about a 30% boost in FPS in the 3Dmark bench's.
When I goto my display properties.. I can see my (only monitor) "ViewSonic A72f on RADEON X800 XT Platinum Edition", but I also see a "[Default Monitor] on RADEON X800 XT Platinum Edition".

You're saying I need to disable that? If so, I don't know how... I haven't seen the option anywhere.

You've probably already known this but just some ideas....GL.
Unforunately, I haven't heard of it. :(

Last edited:
JimBodkins said:
Part of the problem here are:

1) maps (size and design)
2) team size (engine capability and community preference)

There is a terrible vehicle flaw in T:V (vehicles spawn, but by contrast you 'buy' a mine - makes absolutely no sense). That is just a comment. It still works - IG just had a brain fart IMO.

This community (gametype preference plus team size) with these maps will probably only have limited use for the vehicles. Imagine V2's vehicles (just an example, calm down) on these maps. Wouldnt make any sense.

With different map design, it could be a different game - but then again - not in this community. (This community doesnt like or want combined arms - lots of vehicles etc. That isnt a criticism just a fact).

As it is, it looks to be a terrific game. This community will use it pretty much as designed I suspect. With lowered emphasis on vehicles and an increased emphasis on the individual fragger.

I dont plan on playing it in MP (I bought it - $53) so you can ignore this, but I would leave it alone and just play. Played as delivered it looks to be fun and very very close to what this community wants.

So you say the vehicles arent good because they are useless? I dont understand what you are saying? Vehicles are great in TV. I played the shrike in T2, and i still think the vehicles are great. They are extremely useful on every map. Maps will be made from different mappers in the community eventually.

JeToh said:
Slut says:

Uhh,, T2 did have packs.... repair,energy,shield,cloak..

They are not new innovations..

And yes,, T2 had more depth than TV.
Multiple grenade Types
Multiple Turret Types
Changeable barrel Base turrets
Changable barrel MPB
Vehicles were way better(not as pretty) but better.
High skiing speeds are atainable in TV, just not as easily as T2.
T2 is more teamwork oriented TV is more Cowboy oriented.
All that said.. TV is still Fun.. Just adapt to the differences..

Yes but packs have an active and passive use. T2 packs are like T1. Same type of style. T:V is completely different. You are comparing turrets to depth? You gotta be joking! haha

Multiple Turret Types
Changeable barrel Base turrets
Changable barrel MPB

T:V is very team oriented. I dont know what game you are playing. I capped plenty of times with the shrike solo. T2 was team oriented and so is TV. I think i covered your all your points pretty well :)

I think the vehicles are TOO useful. Shrike was powerful in T2... but it wasn't a "1v1" dueling mechanism like the overpowered bomber and pod are now. There were wayts to use it efficiently and ways to counter it efficiently, without it taking (too much) away from the goal of the game; ctf.

Pubs greatly affect the longevity of the game's competition... and all I see in pubs, is a bunch of jerkass pointwhores jumping in vehicles as fast as they can, and causing a bunch of chaos/shazbot gameplay. At least in T2... people used them for capping/defending the flag.

why not just make it necessary to have a gunner in order to unleash the dirtbag weapons of the vehicles...

don't let the pilot fire the bombs on the bomber, and don't let the driver fire the cannon on the tank...

instead give the pilot one of the AA guns, and the driver of the tank the chain gun...

slut said:
So you say the vehicles arent good because they are useless? I dont understand what you are saying? Vehicles are great in TV. I played the shrike in T2, and i still think the vehicles are great. They are extremely useful on every map. Maps will be made from different mappers in the community eventually.

Said nothing like that.

This community despised the combined arms aspects of T2. WHich is what drew me to T2 actually. You werent around at the end of T2. Coordinated team fragging. Basically what it came down to. With a preference for maps that didnt even have vehicles.

The map size in T:V is appropriate for those players that 'finished' T2 and came from T1. They will use whatever works (in terms of vehicles), but they prefer not having the large maps of T2 and overpowered vehicles. Trust me in this. Force them to have those and their heads will explode.

I agree that with slightly larger maps (and teamsizes) T:V could do just about anything. It isnt going to however. You want to hear these kids squeel? Do anything even remotely like that. They want (the thugs in the group) smaller rather than larger teams/maps with weaker/fewer vehicles. And they will go crazy otherwise. Just my opinion. (They are to a large extent the reason I left).

As I said, it isnt T:V. I like T:V. (I would like to have larger maps and maybe a transport, but heh, its ok as is). But the community isnt going there. Those of us that came to this franchise because of T2 and the promise of epic scale combined arms competition, are basically out. (Which is one reason I have moved on). Dynamix split the community by screwing the T1 players with T2 (I didnt know that and walked into a puddle of shazbot without knowing it). And now IG is giving it back to them - basically. So large scale/combined arms is out. The community isnt going to buy it and neither did IG.

I think after what Dynamix did to split the community, its the right thing to do. So unless 2845 shines (I gave up on UT:XMP because the DEVS are morons with pissy attitudes), lots of us will either settle (some will be ok with that) and others will move on (like me).

It's a good game IMO. Those that fit it should play it. I think they will have fun. I dont want to deal with some of them anymore. (That is settle - which might be fun otherwise).

P.S.
I did buy it ($53 full retail day one) to support the franchise and am enjoying the SP.

BTW, the game is mainly for the original style T1 guys (of the existing players that is). How about they join up. Shut down the shazbot below and get with the NEW program.

Starsiege TRIBES 182 servers, 403 players

How many ways do you guys want it? More of you are STILL playing T1 than there are players playing T:V. That's just sick. Some of you just dont deserve a franchise. You stole T1 and now wont support T:V. :( Hmmm.

Last edited:
JimBodkins said:
Said nothing like that..

The person you control is like a vehicle in the sense that you can ski and jet. Why add more and more layers of vehicles on top?

It almost seems liek you bitch about all games and blame bad development on the issues YOU have with the game.

Funny thing is I never liked the Shrikes. Didn't like the oversteer/delayed response feeling. Only made things worse when there was lag or low fps. Handling didn't feel firm and responsive. I'm not particularly fond of the Assault Pod either because of its very limited forward momentum and feels rather clumsy. Too much hover not enough foward.

T2 bomber I enjoyed using. I liked the little painted reticle for dropping bombs. However its guns were useless for protection against Shrikes. T:V bomber suffers from the same hover problem as Assault pod. Inaccurate means of aiming but is much better equipped to handle air threats.

Raptor + Cicada > everything.

Gmankuza said:
The person you control is like a vehicle in the sense that you can ski and jet. Why add more and more layers of vehicles on top?
This is why I like Tribes. If you want the combined arms, vehicles + infantry stuff, you can find it in tons of other games nowadays. But Tribes is the only series that really makes the player (as an infantry unit) into a vehicle himself. :shrug:

Back