T:V Purchases

What are your thoughts on Tribes: Vengeance?

• Bought the game and like it.

Votes: 839 44.8%
  • Bought the game and DON'T like it.

Votes: 152 8.1%
  • Undecided

Votes: 149 8.0%
  • Haven't bought, but plan on it.

Votes: 436 23.3%
  • Haven't bought, DON'T plan on it.

Votes: 297 15.9%

• Total voters
As someone who played Tribes from early on and then Tribes 2 I was really looking forward to this next installment of the franchise.

Unfortunately after playing the beta then the MP demo I won't be purchasing the game. I cant explain exactly why but somehow the game just doesn't FEEL right.

Game changes, new tactics, vehicle changes etc etc I can live with but something about the way the skiing and jetting feels just doesn't sit well with me and feels... sluggish.

I've had this discussion with several squadmates and find it hard to explain, T:V just feels slow to me. Now I know loads of people are gonna start shouting T:V skiing aint slow you just need to learn how to do it properly.

I can ski properly and have practiced it extensively, I keep up with anyone else on the map etc but it just 'Feels' slow. I miss that outta control type feeling you got on T1 or T2 classic when you hit that route 'just' right ya know.

Also the packs are a bug bear for me but we wont go there ;)

Did someone forgot to tell the euroretailers that the release was pushed to the 15th? All the major resellers here in PAL-Land are still convinced that the game shall not be sold before 22nd.

I will buy it once the price goes WAY down.

I think T2 was so much better. Why?

Becuase it's more gracefull. In TV everything is just big, and clanky. I just dont feel the persition of T1/2 in this game.

Tho I do wish the game well since it's the deciding factor in getting another Tribes game. But sadly I dont anticipate this happening.

u had to wait until t2 was enjoyable for about 3 years?
until classic, i think u should give t:v a chance for getting better.
or just do it like t1 veterans did with t2...stop playing and maybe miss an enjoyable mod :)

If this is the last installment in the Tribes series due to bad sales, then TW will go (at some point - what would be the point and why would the owners/staff waste their time on it if the franchise is closed down) and you will all have to find something else to do.

You may be dissappointed. You may not like the way it 'feels'. It may not smell right.

If you dont buy it (at some point soon), it will feel and smell like nothing. Because that is what will be left. Nothing. Will you be dissappointed?

Buy it. Maybe there wont be a T4. Dont buy it, and there surely wont be.

I have to tell you as a developer myself, I would be hesitant to develope anything for a community that by and large wont support the primary/only game played. One person buying the game isnt going to give them profits. A few hundred thousand might. (THey are in year three with this I think. Lots of expense and time and some of you wont spend 40 bucks. Hmmm).

Buy it, it may grow on you. (It isnt that bad for godsakes) Even if it doesnt, you may be buying a shot at a T4.

Man, some of you are delicate flowers. :)

JimBodkins said:
...then TW will go (at some point - what would be the point and why would the owners/staff waste their time on it if the franchise is closed down) and you will all have to find something else to do.

Not really. Lurk more, member.

I have been with this community since just before the start of T2. Just havent posted here much. (TWL mainly. I met most of your 'best and brightest there :( ). I wouldnt think of imposing on Colosus, Rayn, Yogi etc if Tribes dies. They arent making anything here. I'm sure it's all donated to a 'grateful' community. :)

Without a game, there wont be much of a community, it will dry up. TWL jumped at the start of T2 as I recall. I had my account there disabled and am inactive, but it seems pretty quiet over there at the moment.

Buy the game. :) (That's to a larger audience)

I have to tell you as a developer myself, I would be hesitant to develope anything for a community that by and large wont support the primary/only game played. One person buying the game isnt going to give them profits. A few hundred thousand might. (THey are in year three with this I think. Lots of expense and time and some of you wont spend 40 bucks. Hmmm).

Buy it, it may grow on you. (It isnt that bad for godsakes) Even if it doesnt, you may be buying a shot at a T4.

Though I respect your opinion JimBodkins I have to ask one question.

When did developement houses and Publishers become charities? You may kid yourself that the only reason there was a T2 and then a T:V was because of the community but in reality it's down to money, pure and simple, they made em cos they thought people would buy em. Now this isn't wrong, it's the way of the world, but asking members on here to support it and go and spend their hard earned cash on it just on the hope that their may be a next and better installment is a bit off. A community improves a game immensely once it is released with mods, scripts, maps etc and they should definately be supported wholeheartedly.

This isn't a flame at you in any way shape or form m8, i read your posts and agree with a lot of your points just not about the need for the developers to be supported to ensure the continuation of a franchise, a franchise will continue on the merits of its last installment and sales generated because it's either good or bad.

And yep I did try T2 as base and didn't like it, stopped playing it, and returned when classic appeared. That was my choice and no-one suffered but me, I missed playing with my squad and felt detached from friendships I had made but was not going to play a game i didn't enjoy just because it was 'Tribes'. This would have been unfair on my squad because frankly I didn't like playing the game so was not enthusiastic about practicing, finding routes etc.

My response was to the original question asked Will I buy T:V or not?

As it is now No, if the community mod it and I like the sound of the mod, or physics change or whatever then maybe at that point I will.

OK, change my vote from "undecided" to "bought it and like it".

Got mine, love the single player mission. Also the Multiplayer is great too.

Yogi, these pages are loading without edit/quote/newthread etc buttons.

Hey Dai,

I dont have a problem with disagreement. :)

Developers are speculators. In particular with they are 'held' by a larger companies like VUG. As long as expenses are covered a brand will be continued. Who knows, a future title may really take off. T1 was pirated and didnt make much I dont think. They rolled the dice and did T2 - which sold well I believe. But there was turmoil.

As I understand it, T:V exists because of 'shennanigans' within Sierra. Marweas and Thrax pulled one out of someones butt as I understand it. Good for them. Subjectively, it doesnt appear that T:V is taking off the way T2 did. That may not be good in that:

1) VUG (even Sierra) have much more productive franchises.
2) It may be that only 1 of 3 titles did well. (Early to say about T:V)
3) VUG is involved in some serious conflicts with Valve. (That is a big deal. Remember they released source against T:V)
4) There may not be another monkey butt in Sierra.

... think in terms of franchises - Doom, Quake, HalfLife, Unreal, Halo, Tribes etc. Tribes in many was isnt bad at all. But no one has managed to translate it into a larger market. (T2 was close and promising but DAMN it had two black eyes and diarea if you listened to some - and dynamix collapsed yada yada). If it doesnt perform, all it has is 'buzz' and potential. If the buzz is bad, well ....

... this can turn around. People should just buy it and encourage the public. Your (not you specifically) highly vaunted principles be damned. It's a game and it's just 40 bucks. Those that havent bought it may be surprised. I have been a non-playing cheerleader. Truth is I like it - not my perfect choice - but I like it. (I just dont like some that play the game - personal issue). It's a good game. IMO, better than Doom 3. (That hurts me to say :) ).

To the hurt puppies, invest in the future and buy it, play it and donate to Jerry's kids. :) No reason for you to be 'hurt'. It really does work and is fun as a game whether it is to your specs or not.

Nice post Dai.

Last edited:
MagicFire said:
OK, change my vote from "undecided" to "bought it and like it".

Got mine, love the single player mission. Also the Multiplayer is great too.
That's got to be the dumbest sig I've ever seen. It fact, it completely nullifies your opinion.

Undecided. Trying to like the game since beta but it somehow doesnt work for me. Guess ill wait for a good mod, like

- hopping skiing / carving instead of sliding on ice
- bigger maps with ski-friendly slopes and offield that allow nice chases instead of 3 sec caps and cage-feeling
- bigger bases instead of the current one room / 2 entries shazbot
- some major vehicle improvements like vehicles faster, steering seperated from aiming, driver/gunner no more dying inside vehicles, shield/ammo management instead of these no fun at all vehicles

Well, so few players splitted by mods could kill the game. Dont want that either, guess i just have to accept its no game for me. Pretty sad since i ve really been looking forward to it. :(

Back