T:V Purchases

What are your thoughts on Tribes: Vengeance?

• Bought the game and like it.

Votes: 839 44.8%
  • Bought the game and DON'T like it.

Votes: 152 8.1%
  • Undecided

Votes: 149 8.0%
  • Haven't bought, but plan on it.

Votes: 436 23.3%
  • Haven't bought, DON'T plan on it.

Votes: 297 15.9%

• Total voters
JeToh said:
And yes,, T2 had more depth than TV.
Multiple grenade Types
Multiple Turret Types
Changeable barrel Base turrets
Changable barrel MPB

Depth does not come from the amount of the different crap that the game has. Q3 seems like simple game for most but i think it had more depth than T2 ever had, because of the time you had to spent to master its movement and weapons. T2 had weapons that required no skill at all, turrets did most of the killing for players, and out of three Tribes games T2 movement was the easiest. Grappler alone add's lot of depth to T:V.

JeToh said:
T2 is more teamwork oriented TV is more Cowboy oriented.

Its still all about Teamwork in T:V if you want to win matches. Just like it was in T1 or T2Classic, difference to T2 base is that T2 base had forced teamplay, good players could not help their team if all the other players in the team sucked. Thats what ruined T2b pubs.

Bought it,but don't like it that much. MP just doesn't have the depth I was hoping for. Inv system just pisses me off. I only play maybe 2 or 3 maps then log out. Its just not as addicting as previous tribes games. Having more fun with WoW/CS:S.

Hehehehe... People are whining to the who dont like it "just play it". Erm... Sorry to tell you but what about the ones that didnt like T2 and played T1 instead... Same thing here. I dont like T:V so I'll just stick to T2. :argue:

haven't purchased it. felt no real addiction during beta. partially unenjoyable due to crappy performance. if i get a new box anytime soon i'll probably pick up the game.

Sorry, It sounded to me that he was saying T2 didn't have packs at all, and that they were new innovations for TV.

IMO "More Stuff" = more options. more options + different combinations of those options = more depth.

I'm not saying it doesnt take teamwork to play the game properly.. It does. IMO T2 was geared more toward teamwork than TV, thats all.

Don't get me wrong. I am a tribes junkie. I started playing T1 early april 2000, Played it almost every day until T2 Beta came out. Beta Tested T2. Bought t2 the first day it hit the stores. Played T2 almost every day until TV beta came out and bought the first copy of TV sold in our town. and I'm gonna adapt and play it the best I can just like I did T2.

JeToh said:
By teamwork I meant, members of the same team working together to accomplish a desired goal.

potato, potatoe,,, :roller:
No. There's potato, poato salad, potato tartar, french fries... There's a lot of freaking potatos. Tribes 2 is not teamPLAy. It is teamWORK. You are FORCED to work as a team to accomplish simple tasks.

Tribes: Vengeance focuses on teamPLAY in which, if you work as a team, you can accomplish your goals much faster and much easier, but a good player is still capable of performing their tasks alone, but with more difficulty.

THAT'S the difference. It has nothing to do with how many packs there are or how many vehicles or how many players. It all comes down to gameplay.

Remember, games are supposed to be fun, not a chore.

I can see how WoW would derail an interest in anything, but I don't understand how CS:Source would derail a Tribes player away from T:V...and into CS:S. Unless you're just sick of Tribes in general.

Complexity != depth.

Looking back at T2-Base and T2-Classic... lets see what our actual choices were:

80% of the time Epack regardless of role
Shield if you wanted to HO like that or were HoF
And Classic added the SJ back in for LO and HO that were playing against noobs.
Flag LD, minedisked the stand and sniped or chainwhored if chasing.
Classic was too fast in Comp to setup a deployable sensor network.
In Base the farm was key in Defense.
In Classic the routes were faster than the farm so farming was almost pointless.

Real deep there.

The fact is in competition you didnt use half of the shazbot.
It still came down to Coordinated Offense, skilled LD, and flag awarness.

Nothing has changed in that regard, except, you have a few more options on how you do it.

I like the new tribes and the new maps. There are a lot of things that I wish were better and things I still don't understand why they took out. (targeting laser, beacons)

Overall, I find the game really fun but I miss a lot of aspects of T1 that they really didn't even attempt to capture.

No. There's potato, poato salad, potato tartar, french fries... There's a lot of freaking potatos. Tribes 2 is not teamPLAy. It is teamWORK. You are FORCED to work as a team to accomplish simple tasks.

Tribes: Vengeance focuses on teamPLAY in which, if you work as a team, you can accomplish your goals much faster and much easier, but a good player is still capable of performing their tasks alone, but with more difficulty.

THAT'S the difference. It has nothing to do with how many packs there are or how many vehicles or how many players. It all comes down to gameplay.

Remember, games are supposed to be fun, not a chore

Hmm, Never had poato salad,, Is it any good?? Just pickin :p

I guess we just disagree..
Are you saying T2 was more difficult(forced to work as a team,can't do it alone) thus a chore and not as much fun? And that TV is more fun because it is easier to achieve team goals? I'm not flamin you, I just want to understand your view.
I disagree with the individual player aspect too. I think it is MUCH easier for the individual /cowboy player to do anything in TV.. It's easier for a lone player to cap.. It's easier for a lone HO to smash a base.. At least thats been the case in all the pubs I have been playing in. And I have been playing mainly on the 5150's,ckb's & kore east which are supposed to be vet servers.

Again, not a :soapbox: or :rocket: just my opinion, and yes. I know opinions are like azzoles.... everyone has one and most stink...

wrEk said:
man, im installing the demo again. near 800 players on the mp demo right now, opposed to 300 on the retail version according to gamespy's stats.

i bought the retail the day it came out. i'm having enough fun with it to consider dropping $700 or so to update my computer so that the game is actually playable (i get about 10-15fps right now). i'm not sure if i have time to play competively, but i think if a team picked me up i would probably make time (playing as "hush" now).

i will always have a weak spot for this game. it's the only game that has ever been addicting enough for me to allow it to change my life in anyway (basically killing any life i had in high school).

For your $700, at least get the 256mb 6800GT, it will be best bang for your buck game-wise.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-130-203&depa=0

Be sure to read the reviews...... !!

Colosus said:

Remember, games are supposed to be fun, not a chore.

Bingo

Validuz said:
No, I'm not using 3D Sound or EAX. And when I said I formatted/clean-installed... it meant just that: total format, and several clean installs (of my OS and TV).

Are your FPS's shot in Doom3 or other current games?

If your running a dual monitor setup, make sure you're in single monitor mode, V-sync off of course and as you said AA totally off.

By turning my second monitor function off on my vid card 6800GT, I got about a 30% boost in FPS in the 3Dmark bench's.

You've probably already known this but just some ideas....GL.
--------------------------
BTW, T:V is great so far, a fresh tribes game, not to replace T1 (I didn't like T2 at all) but a great alternative with a SP feature.

Your spot on sLUT, about this game and peeps should appreciate your comments being a franchise uber player that you is ;) .......if nothing else I would like T:V to broaden the Tribes community....but still the TRIBES game concept is not for lazy or easily intimidated (read casual) gamers who buy the game and just jump in and expect to be enthralled.

Tribes is about community imo and if T:V can broaden that, I'll be in full support of it.

Ontrose said:
Depth does not come from the amount of the different crap that the game has. Q3 seems like simple game for most but i think it had more depth than T2 ever had, because of the time you had to spent to master its movement and weapons. T2 had weapons that required no skill at all, turrets did most of the killing for players, and out of three Tribes games T2 movement was the easiest. Grappler alone add's lot of depth to T:V.
T2 Classic has infinitely more depth than Q3 or UT. it takes a shazbotload longer to master even the basic movement necessary in T2 Classic (which is similar to T1 and T:V) than anything does in Q3. if you've played tribes before it's not hard, but think back to when you were learning to use a jetpack for the first time...it can take months alone just to learn how to properly move around and ski, much less aim with the kind of lead it takes to use a spinfusor.

Killjoy- said:
80% of the time Epack regardless of role
i strongly disagree. on O, i would use epack like 35%, SJ about 35%, and shield about 30%. it totally depended on what my goals were for the position i was assigned. the "advent" of the SJ pack in classic (because it actually became practical and useful in classic) was one of the best things about T2. that's one of the things i really miss in T:V.

Shield if you wanted to HO like that or were HoF
And Classic added the SJ back in for LO and HO that were playing against noobs.
the SJ pack was very useful for LO and HO playing against any teams, good or bad. i played with the best in the game in T2 classic and found the SJ pack to be extremely effective in almost every match i played. depending on the map and the situation, the SJ pack was always a very viable option. ask anyone who played offense on really a good T2 classic team and they'll tell you the same.

Classic was too fast in Comp to setup a deployable sensor network.
this is only somewhat true, but for the defense it was always very helpful to have a few sensors out when possible. and that DID still happen in classic.

In Base the farm was key in Defense.
In Classic the routes were faster than the farm so farming was almost pointless.
it's becoming more and more apparent that you never played either on or against a good classic team. farming was imperative on some maps and not as necessary on others. good cappers weren't usually affected by them, but for everyone else they could pose a problem.

The fact is in competition you didnt use half of the shazbot.
your team was obviously never any good

yes it did, and that's how it should be.

1. The E-pack % was more true for Base than Classic. Classic did open up the SJ pack as well as other packs to a certain extent. But it was forced paper rock scissors. They come SJ? Deploy cameras. Thats not very deep.

2. I can probably think of 4 maps total that having a sensor network was viable/helpful in classic to the point where you would actually script it into a strat.

3. Farming turrets verses 300+ routes was not effective in classic.

"it's becoming more and more apparent that you never played either on or against a good classic team. farming was imperative on some maps and not as necessary on others. good cappers weren't usually affected by them, but for everyone else they could pose a problem."

Wait so I never played for or against good teams, but good cappers aren't effected by Turrets..which is what I stated. GJ contridicting yourself btw.

4. Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"yes it did, and that's how it should be."

5. So basically you agree that all the extra crap in t2 did not define the "depth" required for good competition. GGs.

Back