D&D Thread II

doggor

I'm going to follow him discreetly (I'm assuming I'm already equipped for travel and I've got the funds I was promised?) and see who he talks too and try and figure out if he's already being tailed and if there is anything significant/unique that might identify who he is, in anyplace I'm going to take careful note of his appearance and mannerisms. Also is the path pretty much open or is there cover on the sides?

The streets are busy with people conducting business. Wagons and carts line the streets, gaps and alleyways between buildings offer places to duck into. It is not hard to find concealment in places where you can easily observe the movements of the young elf.

With a trained eye, you notice a group of pickpockets working the crowd of people. Like a pack of wolves, one of the men points out a vulnerable target. In a coordinated effort, the man "accidentally" bumps shoulders with his target as he walks passed, nearly knocking him over. Catching the mark before he loses his balance, he apologetically helps the man straighten his cape and pretends to brush the dust off of the target's clothing. Simultaneously, a second wolf, who had been on the targets heels, has liberated a small sack of coins from the target's tunic pocket, quickly passing the bag to a third man walking by, who continues to walk with impressive discipline as if nothing at all had just happened.

The victim of this scam continues on his way unaware that his coin purse is in the pocket of someone else moving the opposite direction.

The young elf seems to be on a shopping trip. Tailing the elf is proving to be pretty dull. Fortunately, you can appreciate the roguish performances of the local thieves guild while you wait for something interesting to happen.

You continue to tail the elf...

Last edited:
Doggor

Not too long later the group of pickpockets return to the square. The elf's back turned, the leader of the gang casually walks by him, looking him up and down, and then returns, pausing for a moment, and then continues on, giving a hand signal to his mates.

It appears that the gang of pickpockets have chosen their next mark.

What do you do?

Last edited:
I'm going to interrupt their theft, I'm going to intercept the coin purse after they've picked him and tell the thieves in thieves cant that this is my mark and we don't want to make a scene. If they don't back off I'll attempt to evade and call in Johnny Law before I engage in battle.

Doggor

I'm going to interrupt their theft, I'm going to intercept the coin purse after they've picked him and tell the thieves in thieves cant that this is my mark and we don't want to make a scene. If they don't back off I'll attempt to evade and call in Johnny Law before I engage in battle.

You quickly break from your concealment and head toward where the elf is standing at a merchant cart. A shady looking peddler is showing him an odd looking wooden ball. Two of the pickpockets move into position, shoulder to shoulder with the elf, on his left and on his right, pretending to also be interested in the rune covered ball. The leader of the gang moves up behind the elf pretending to be interested in the business going on over his target's shoulder, meanwhile, deftly catching coins that are spilling out of a hole in the bottom of the coin purse that is tied to the elf's belt.

In a quick moment the purse is emptied and the thief is on the move.

As he is walking in your direction you reach out and grab his arm pulling him, with you, between a pair of buildings. He doesn't resist for fear of making a scene.

Deception DC15: (1D20:17) - success

Recognizing the Theives Cant', and what that must make you, the man indicates that he isn't interested in making a scene either. Perhaps feeling a little embarrassed for getting caught and fearful that you might make good on your threat to turn him in, he empties his pocket with the stashed coins, hands them to you and then runs off, disappearing into the crowd.

You can bet that the master of the local thieves guild will learn of this transgression. Hopefully you won't have to stick around here much longer, it's only a matter of time before he sends men to "make your acquaintance."

Treasure: +7 gp, +9 sp
experience: +50 xp (for your deception regarding your "right" to a mark in a town where you do not belong to the local guild)
experience: +25 xp (for role-playing the intervention of the pickpocket)

what will you do now?

Last edited:
Claudius

You grow tired of this merchant trying to make a hard sale, plus it's kind of annoying having all these assholes pushing up against you trying to get a better view of this peddler's wares.

Perception check DC15: 9 - fail
Treasure: -7 gp, -9 sp

You decide to head back to the Lion's Pride to see if you can get some information about hiring a coach to bring you to Dagger Falls.

To be continued...

A quick interjection:

Dice etiquette

This is something I've been giving a great deal of consideration. I've decided, for fairness' sake, I will be making all die rolls on my end, from this point forward. It's not that I have any reason to mistrust any of you guys, but I figure there will be less trust issues, overall, if only one person is to be trusted (me) vs. a dozen people all trusting each other (me + all of you). This will be particularly true in the event some sort of conflict arises between two of you.

I promise that I will be honest and fair with the dice. Believe me, it's just as much fun for me to see if you succeed at an action as it is for you. For me, it means I get to see some randomness on how I get to weave the tale instead of this just being a linear story. If that makes sense?

I will post my rulings on how difficult tasks are: DC10, DC15, DC20, DC25, etc, etc... and I will continue to post the resulting die rolls along with modifiers. So naturally, if you notice that I forgot to add a modifier to a roll that would overturn a failed roll to a successful roll, then I will be willing to change the results. All it means is editing the post that the action happened in. I'm willing to entertain all objections.

I guess what I'm getting at is: either you trust that I'm being fair with my die rolls or you don't. Whether you continue to play or not is up to you.

Last edited:
In other words - If you disagree, next turn you are likely to get eaten by a Grue.

This is top shelf content dude. It's like reading a novel.

Going to open it up to more players soon?

We'll see. What I have on the table right now is keeping me more than busy. Stick around and keep following the adventure. You can never tell when someone might try to shit all over my game. I can be an angry god. Ask XTasy.

A quick interjection:

Dice etiquette

This is something I've been giving a great deal of consideration. I've decided, for fairness' sake, I will be making all die rolls on my end, from this point forward. It's not that I have any reason to mistrust any of you guys, but I figure there will be less trust issues, overall, if only one person is to be trusted (me) vs. a dozen people all trusting each other (me + all of you). This will be particularly true in the event some sort of conflict arises between two of you.

I promise that I will be honest and fair with the dice. Believe me, it's just as much fun for me to see if you succeed at an action as it is for you. For me, it means I get to see some randomness on how I get to weave the tale instead of this just being a linear story. If that makes sense?

I will post my rulings on how difficult tasks are: DC10, DC15, DC20, DC25, etc, etc... and I will continue to post the resulting die rolls along with modifiers. So naturally, if you notice that I forgot to add a modifier to a roll that would overturn a failed roll to a successful roll, then I will be willing to change the results. All it means is editing the post that the action happened in. I'm willing to entertain all objections.

I guess what I'm getting at is: either you trust that I'm being fair with my die rolls or you don't. Whether you continue to play or not is up to you.

I am fine with this. Do you mind if I post my modifiers along with my decisions?

While I am getting my mount ready to ride out, I will regale the stableboy with a story of when I was playing second harp with the troupe Grand Buckland Hobbit Express.

"We reached Fangdale and set up to play at the Inn of the White Hart. But then thirty minutes before the show, the lead singer and half-orc luteist Grog refused to go on unless he had a plate full of red-sprinkled lamnas bread cookies."

"They were going crazy in the penny seats, shouting for Grog, but he wouldn't go on. There was an evil animist druid in a tower up the lane that might have the cookies in his chest, so me and Jimmy Page and the drummer set off."

"We broke into the Druid's tower, called The Hopkeeper, and were immediately attacked by a pair of giant shrews he kept as guardians. We subdued the shrews and as soon as we did, the Hopkeeper came out and began chanting spells, so the drummer attacked him and was turned into a newt. Jimmy Page knocked him down with his axe, and we demanded that he give over the red-sprinkled lamnas bread cookies."

"He refused, and so Jimmy Page and I had to beat The Hopkeeper all the way to his chest, with his own shrews."

"We got back to the White Hart Inn and Grog the half-orc went on. Who knew a newt would be able to drum so well."

Dead Ben

Chauntea_symbol.jpg

You kneel before the altar and statue of your goddess Chauntea, The Great Mother, Earthmother. Basking in the solitude of your temple, you are just finishing your evening prayers when a loud knocking at the great doors of the temple antechamber stirs you from your reverie.

A moment later a novice of your order quietly enters your door-less chamber.

What do you do?

52oMJYB.jpg

"No apologies necessary, I was just finishing up. I assume the constable will want me to perform another ceremony for his recruits again...or some such. Oh, let's go find out"

I follow the novice to meet Constable Gladenstone.

Back