D&D Thread II

Havax

Days pass by. Nights come and go. You've found you've fallen into a routine existence.

Each morning, before dawn, you trek out into the surrounding forests and hillsides to check and collect the snares you set the night before. Frequently, your efforts are rewarded with a rabbit or an occasional pheasant which make for a satisfying supper: as opposed to a meal of dried meat, hard cheese and stale bread.

After morning meals, when all of your companions have collected their belongings and bundled away their bedrolls and shelter halves, you have your daily meetings with Lord Shitwizard, the other dwarves and Aldren. With a map spread out on the ground, you point out a land mark or topographical feature that lies in the northerly direction the party will be traveling and then point to it's location where it can be seen on the horizon.

Once you're confident that they know where they are going, you set out. Preferring to keep a mile or two ahead of the dwarves, with the slow measure of their supply burdened pack mules, you're able to keep a leisurely pace, allowing you plenty of time to occasionally dismount to inspect the tracks on a game trail, or to scramble up a hill to see what's on the other side before silhouetting yourself, and your mount, to who or whatever may be lurking there. (I think this is officially the longest sentence I've ever written) (edit: 74 words, 402 characters)

Reaching the way points you establish with the dwarves, you're given opportunities to scout out the surrounding areas. When they arrive, you move on to the next land mark. This process is repeated again and again until a couple of hours before sunset.

When dusk approaches, the dwarves use the last of the remaining daylight to set up camp, collect firewood, and if you're lucky, prepare a meal of rabbit or pheasant. As the sun is reaching the horizon, you hike out, once again, to set your snares before returning to your meal and bedroll.

When night settles in, a rotating watch is established: each member of the party takes a 1 hour turn tending the fire and keeping their ears open and their eyes peeled for any sign of danger. This allows everyone a minimum of 8 hours for sleep, if they choose.

As dawn arrives, the whole of the last day's events are repeated.

players: this is pretty much the description of all of the typical day to day events that happen while you are traveling. If you want to take a specific actions during these travels then please describe what you would like to do. For example: whittle away at a stick while you ride

To be continued...

Last edited:
I'm going to collect rocks whenever possible, but not during sentry duty
generally i'd like them to be fist sized
hopefully i have a bag or something to stuff them in

Standing challenge to play my checkers game with the party if anyone feels like it during the nights

Dead Ben

You cross the temple and reach the antechamber where Constable Gladenstone is speaking quietly with a Novice.

Constable Gladenstone said:
Deacon Dead Ben. I'm sorry to disturb you this evening, but I need your assistance. Men have been killed on the road to Harrowdale. Some may be wounded or dying. It is possible that the creatures that did this murder may have hauled survivors off to where ever it is that these savages live. I am assembling a posse to ride out to uncover the details of this atrocity. Will you join us? There is a mount waiting outside. We need to be on our way very shortly.

The Novice, standing tensely by, waits for your response and for any orders you might have.

What do you do?

Last edited:
index.php

Dead Ben

You cross the temple and reach the antechamber where Constable Gladenstone is speaking quietly with a Novice.

The Novice, standing tensely by, waits for your response and for any orders you might have.

What do you do?

52oMJYB.jpg

"Certainly Constable, let me gather some items before we head out. How long will we be gone? An hour or two?

Have the wounds indicated humans or beasts that committed this atrocity on the good citizens?"

I tell the novice to gather enough personal effects for whatever length of time the Constable says, including my armor, weapons, holy symbols and the rest of my equipment. I make one last quick prayer to Chantreau and head out the temple door.

shitwizard
Goshin
Gorlax
Havax

You have finally reached the foothills of the mountains. The Thundering Peaks, alone, stand between you and The Dalelands.

Shitwizards retainers are busy setting up camp and a fire has just been lit. The cloudless sky is quickly growing dark. Details of the craters and pocked marks covering the surface of Selune, Toril's single moon, have never been as clear. You expect that the sky will be gorgeous tonight when 'The Tears of Selune', a cluster of asteroids that appear to trail the moon, are finally fully illuminated.

shitwizard

As you contemplate the wonders of the heavens, out of the corner of your eye, you notice something strange on the side of the mountain. The glowing of a camp fire, roughly two-and-a-half miles out, then another and finally a third have sprung up.

What do you guys do?

Last edited:
If we all notice, I push my hair out of my face and grunt, pointing to the ridge with my axe
" oy Gorlax, what do you make of that? Think we could check it out with two warriors, his lordliship, those fools of his and our absentee ranger?"

Dead Ben

The attack was on a merchant wagon by an unknown number of goblins. A guard who had survived the encounter and rode hard to bring us the news, is the only way we know anything at all about what happened.

The attack happened about ten miles up the road toward Harrowdale. depending on how far we have to track these savages, we may be gone longer than a day.

Gladenstone waits outside as the novice helps you armor yourself and gather your things. On the way out of your chamber you grab your javelins and a mace along with a tower shield that is adorned with the image of a blooming red rose on a sunburst wreath of golden wheat, the holy symbol of Chauntea, your goddess. You kneel before the altar, in the main temple chamber, momentarily, and say a quick prayer before heading out into the night.

Outside of the temple you discover Gladenstone and two of his men mounted and waiting. Constable Gladenstone holds the reigns of a fourth horse meant for you.

You swing into the saddle and arrange your equipment. Once it seems that you are ready, Gladenstone hands the reigns to you, then spurs his horse toward the North Gate.

Come along, others should be waiting for us at the gate by now.

To be continued...

Last edited:
Havax

Days pass by. Nights come and go. You've found you've fallen into a routine existence.

Each morning, before dawn, you trek out into the surrounding forests and hillsides to check and collect the snares you set the night before. Frequently, your efforts are rewarded with a rabbit or an occasional pheasant which make for a satisfying supper, as opposed to a meal of dried meat, hard cheese and stale bread.

After morning meals, when all of your companions have collected their belongings and bundled away their bedrolls and shelter halves, you have your daily meetings with Lord Shitwizard, the other dwarves and Aldren. With a map spread out on the ground, you point out a land mark or topographical feature that lies in the northerly direction the party will be traveling and then point to it's location where it can be seen on the horizon.

Once you're confident that they know where they are going, you set out. Preferring to keep a mile or two ahead of the dwarves, with the slow measure of their supply burdened pack mules, you're able to keep a leisurely pace, allowing you plenty of time to occasionally dismount and inspect the tracks on a game trail, or to scramble up a hill to see what's on the other side before silhouetting yourself, and your mount, to who or whatever may be lurking on the other side. (I think this is officially the longest sentence I've ever written) (edit: 74 words, 402 characters)

Reaching the way points you establish with the dwarves, you're given opportunities to scout out the surrounding areas. When they arrive, you move on to the next land mark. This process is repeated again and again until a couple of hours before sunset.

When dusk approaches, the dwarves use the last of the remaining daylight to set up camp, collect firewood, and if you're lucky, prepare a meal of rabbit or pheasant. As the sun is reaching the horizon, you hike out to, once again, set your snares before returning to your meal and bedroll.

When night settles in, a rotating watch is established: each member of the party takes a 1 hour turn tending the fire and keeping their ears open and their eyes peeled for any sign of danger. This allows everyone a minimum of 8 hours for sleep, if they choose.

As dawn arrives, the whole of the last day's events are repeated.

players: this is pretty much the description of all of the typical day to day events that happen while you are traveling. If you want to take a specific actions during these travels then please describe what you would like to do. For example: whittle away at a stick while you ride

To be continued...

Understood. I will continue to scout and hunt as usual and report anything unusual back to the party. When I am bored, I will be attempting to create some razor sharp arrowheads with rocks I find.

As you contemplate the wonders of the heavens, out of the corner of your eye, you notice something strange on the side of the mountain, roughly two and a half miles distant. The glowing of a camp fire, then another and finally a third have sprung up.

What do you guys do?

I ask shitwizard if he would like me to scout the area under the guise of night or if we should wait until morning.

Last edited:
Dead Ben
Meyog
Secret Squirrel

The North Gate is just that: a gate in the northern most section of the city walls. With no sally port and no portcullis, the gate, not much more than a giant pair of wooden doors, isn't at all very impressive. If the city ever fell under siege, you doubt it would take much more than a few of the lodge-pole pines that pepper the landscape outside of the city walls, bound together, used as a battering ram, to take these doors down in a hurry. But then, these walls and the two gates, in and out of Scardale, aren't meant to protect the city from an army. It's likely they're just used as a measure to temporarily detain travelers who arrive after dark, to keep undesirables from sneaking into the city or to help slow down a criminal trying to escape from the town after committing a crime.

Along with Secret Squirrel and Meyog are two other men who are also mounted, waiting, and ready to move. Both of these men wear studded leather coats. One man bears a long sword, in its scabbard, at his side and has a dented kite shield fastened behind his saddle. The other man is armed with a short sword, and has a long bow resting across his lap, feathered arrows stick up above his right shoulder from the quiver strapped to his back.

The glow from several lanterns cast dancing shadows against the buildings up and down the main causeway as four additional horsemen approach. As well as the constable and his two men, a priest accompanies them. You notice the emblem on the shield of the priest. A rose against a golden grain backdrop reveal him to be a worshiper of Chauntea, the goddess of nature and all growing things.

Meyog

As the two groups of men come together the constable halts his horse, gives each man an appraising look, and then turns to regard Meyog.

You, elf, you look like the ranger type or have I missed my mark? Unless we risk falling victim to the same ambush that befell the merchant, I would have you scout ahead on the road. See if you can detect any sign of those creatures before they have a chance to get into position to attack us as a whole.

Everyone else, be on constant alert. Lets move out!

What would you guys do?

Last edited:
Squinting my eyes seeing the newly lit camp fires I turn to the ranger, "How quiet can you be in the dark laddy. And how good are ye with that bow of yours?" I say smiling.

"Boys, are you up to cause some trouble?"

Goshin
Gorlax
Havax
Shitwizard

As you stand around gabbing like a bunch of girls, one of the fires on the mountain blinks out and then a moment later the other two do as well.

Aldren, face as white as a ghost, rushes over to the camp fire and starts to kick it out.

Aldren Silverthorn said:
Fuck me! If we can see their fires, they've probably seen ours!

With your camp fire squashed, it suddenly seems very dark. As a sick feeling sinks into the bottom of your stomachs, the splendor of Selune and her tears, no longer seem so fascinating.

The dwarfs' darkvision and the half-elven low-light vision begin to adjust to the sudden light change in the atmosphere. At least you all can see fairly well.

What now?

Last edited:
Whisper to the lads to keep vigil, find cover, and be prepared for anything to spring at us from the darkness. I myself hold my shield close and ready my axe while scanning the mountains in front of me as my darkvision begins to aid my sight.

Back