D&D Thread II

Claudius

thunderwave instead of charm person. i'm ready to go. what's the name of my horse?

Attendant said:
We call this one Apple. Being as he goes nuts over apples.

Have a good trip, apprentice.

The attendant leaves you with Apple and heads toward the stables. You put a foot in the stirrups and swing your leg astraddle the horse. Riding is a bit awkward for you, any movement while mounted feels like you're going to be thrown. As long as you keep the pace to a slow meander, you think you'll be fine.

Without ceremony, you turn Apple towards the road leading to Tilverton and get on your way.

Before long Tilverton is in sight. Spread out before you, as you come down the hill from Tower Arcana, is a town as typical as any town you have ever seen. The buildings are wood frame structures mostly, but a few with river rock foundations, pepper the cityscape. Most buildings only have a ground floor, but the occasional one has a second. Such is the case with the two closest as you approach. The Silver Mare stable on the right and the Lion's Pride, a tavern, on the left.

Up and down this main causeway are shops: fruit and vegetable merchants, general goods stores, gem dealers, money changers, armorers and other smithies, dealers of antiquities, guild halls, taverns and inns.

Sunrise, about 2 hours ago, it is still a bit early, but still there are a fair number of people out and about. A stable boy sits on a stool outside of the Silver Mare, picking his teeth with a splinter of wood. Across the way at the Lion's Pride a pair of unconscious drunkards lean against each other on a bench. A halfling sitting on another bench appears to be snoozing, as well.

What do you do? Where do you go from here?

Last edited:
doggor

Only occasionally going into the tavern to warm yourself by the fire, you spend the entire evening wrapped in your cloak to ward off the chill. Your diligence has paid off: just a couple of hours after sunrise you spot a mounted figure coming down the road from the direction of Arcana.

A few minutes wait longer, the figure is revealed to be an elf, riding slowly with a hint of unease, like this is the first time he has been on horseback. As he gets a bit closer, you relax your posture and pretend indifference to your surroundings with your eyes half closed.

What do you do?

Last edited:
i want to feed the horse some hay or something on the ride to tilverton and use prestidigitation to make it taste like apples. i'll also give it a carrot or something similar if i have it. i want this horse to like me and i want to become proficient at horsery or whatever the skill is.

ask the boy at the silver mare to take care of apple for a bit. give him a generous tip (i don't know what that would be), and tell him i will give him the same amount when i return for the horse if he takes good care of it and the same amount again if he gives me some non-horse-related-information that may help me when i return (like people asking about me). i ask him what his favorite food is, then give him bread and use prestidigitation to make it taste like that. i want to go antiquing, looking out specifically for weird magic shit. i also want to know what the guild halls are and if any are relevant to my interests.

If I have a mount, I will go get it and harness it up for riding, with 3 days water and provisions. I'll put on my armor and swords, and get my crossbow with 20 bolts. I'll go ride down and meet the men at the appointed meeting spot and head out with them to look for the goblins. If I don't have a mont, I will try to borrow or rent a palfry.

Claudius

... hour ago ...

i want to feed the horse some hay or something on the ride to tilverton and use prestidigitation to make it taste like apples. i'll also give it a carrot or something similar if i have it. i want this horse to like me and i want to become proficient at horsery or whatever the skill is.

About an hour into your trip you dismount and lead Apple to the side of the road where you noticed a particularly lush area of tall grass. You yank up and gather approximately a pound of grass and cast your prestidigitation cantrip on the pile. Apple seems pleased with the effect.

In the present...
Claudius said:
ask the boy at the silver mare to take care of apple for a bit. give him a generous tip (i don't know what that would be), and tell him i will give him the same amount when i return for the horse if he takes good care of it and the same amount again if he gives me some non-horse-related-information that may help me when i return (like people asking about me). i ask him what his favorite food is, then give him bread and use prestidigitation to make it taste like that. i want to go antiquing, looking out specifically for weird magic shit. i also want to know what the guild halls are and if any are relevant to my interests.

You ride up to the stable and dismount. The stable boy takes Apples reigns, he seems to be familiar with this horse.

Stable Boy said:
Hello Apple. Hello sir. How's everything up at the towers?

The boy accepts your generous tip (1 sp) and assures you that Apple will be treated like royalty.

Stable boy said:
I guess that means you'll be back. In that case, I won't let anyone take Apple back to the towers

Player: I won't allow you to use information that your character would be unaware of to effect his actions in game. Soliciting a NPC to be an informant, to warn you if someone is asking about you, when you have no reason to believe anyone would be asking about you, would be inappropriate.

You ask the boy what his favorite food is.

Stable boy said:
I like bread.

You give him a hunk.

Stable boy said:
Thanks mister.

You detect a hint of sarcasm in his voice.

Player: Guild halls are essentially union halls. There is a guild hall for nearly every profession. As a member of a Fighter Guild, for example, you would have access to employment opportunities for mercenary work, or to be a guard on a merchant caravan. In an informal way, your association with the Towers Arcana is like being a low ranking member of a mage guild. You may choose to pick up a Trade if you want. If you can find a master willing to accept you into an apprenticeship. But of course, that would mean training and working for him for several years.

Walking up the street you pass into a market area where merchants have tables spread with goods, food, and miscellaneous items. One peddler has a slotted stand, the slots padded with velvet; inside each compartment is a randomly odd looking item: A spoon in one, a glass thimble in one, a wooden ball with runes carved all over it's surface in another. The ball looks like it's been chewed on heavily by a dog at some point. He claims that all of the items are powerfully magic.

You have no idea what is magic or not, without casting a detect magic spell. At any rate, the prices he is asking for any of these items, you cannot afford. 100 gold for the dog chew toy.

There are other interesting and more legitimate looking shops deeper into the market square, but you suspect that you'd never be able to afford a legitimate magic artifact, judging by the price of the garbage being sold in the streets.

What would you like to do from here?

Last edited:
SecretSquirrel

If I have a mount, I will go get it and harness it up for riding, with 3 days water and provisions. I'll put on my armor and swords, and get my crossbow with 20 bolts. I'll go ride down and meet the men at the appointed meeting spot and head out with them to look for the goblins. If I don't have a mont, I will try to borrow or rent a palfry.

You do have a mount, it is being stabled in a barn next to the Light Pony Inn. On your request, a man standing by the entrance to the stable, holding a pitch fork, fetches your horse. Leaving momentarily, he returns with your tack and saddle. He volunteers to saddle your horse while you go to your room to gear up.

15 minutes later, leather armor adorned, swords and scabbards at your side, you sling your crossbow across your back and head back out to the stable.

Your horse blanketed, saddled and ready to ride. You toss the saddle bags, containing your provisions and other miscellaneous equipment, astraddle the horse. You secure your bedroll behind the saddle along with a waterskin.

You climb into your saddle and gallop off toward the North Gate to rendezvous with the posse.

player: I will wait till tomorrow night to see if Meyog is still active in this adventure. If no response by then, I will play him as an NPC.

To be Continued...

Last edited:
Players: The same goes for havax and the Dwarven party. If havax hasn't taken a turn by tomorrow night, he will become an NPC (non player character).

SecretSquirrel

You do have a mount, it is being stabled in a barn next to the Light Pony Inn. On your request, a man standing by the entrance to the stable, holding a pitch fork, fetches your horse. Leaving momentarily, he returns with your tack and saddle. He volunteers to saddle your horse while you go to your room to gear up.

15 minutes later, leather armor adorned, swords and scabbards at your side, you sling your crossbow across your back and head back out to the stable.

Your horse blanketed, saddled and ready to ride. You toss the saddle bags, containing your provisions and other miscellaneous equipment, astraddle the horse. You secure your bedroll behind the saddle along with a waterskin.

You climb into your saddle and gallop off toward the North Gate to rendezvous with the posse.

player: I will wait till tomorrow night to see if Meyog is still active in this adventure. If no response by then, I will play him as an NPC.

To be Continued...

By the time my conscience convinced me that these men probably wouldn't get far without a guide who knew the area, they had already came and left. I hurridly gather my belongings and mount if I have one, and attempt to follow them.

On my way out if I notice Xtasy's body and the area is clear, I'll check him for valuables and something of his to show the bard. Perhaps the bard would be curious to learn of his compainion's fate.

Last edited:
doggor

Only occasionally going into the tavern to warm yourself by the fire, you spend the entire evening wrapped in your cloak to ward off the chill. Your diligence has paid off: just a couple of hours after sunrise you spot a mounted figure coming down the road from the direction of Arcana.

A few minutes wait longer, and the figure is revealed to be an elf, riding slowly with a hint of unease like this is the first time he has been on horseback, as he gets a bit closer you relax your posture and pretend indifference to your surroundings with your eyes half closed.

What do you do?

I'm going to follow him discreetly (I'm assuming I'm already equipped for travel and I've got the funds I was promised?) and see who he talks too and try and figure out if he's already being tailed and if there is anything significant/unique that might identify who he is, in anyplace I'm going to take careful note of his appearance and mannerisms. Also is the path pretty much open or is there cover on the sides?

Me =
dwarf10.jpg

Sends Goshing to fetch us some water and fresh meat

Mmmm fresh meat! We are waiting at the stables with provisions for a tracker. In any case I'm only taking orders from his Lord tight pants now

I walk out of the temple looking to spread the word of my deity and smiting enemies of the faith.
father-gabriel-630-75.jpg

Last edited:
Meyog

By the time my conscience convinced me that these men probably wouldn't get far without a guide who knew the area, they had already came and left. I hurridly gather my belongings and mount if I have one, and attempt to follow them.

On my way out if I notice Xtasy's body and the area is clear, I'll check him for valuables and something of his to show the bard. Perhaps the bard would be curious to learn of his compainion's fate.

Perception DC10: (1D20:9 + 2) 11 - success

You witnessed the man, who had been sitting with SecretSquirrel, leading the barmaid out the back door with his sword at her back. You also noticed that Inn Keeper Jehddon was aware of what was going on. He followed them out with a knife in his hand.

That was the moment when the interruption happened, when the constable came looking for volunteers.

At this point, you do not know what has occurred behind the inn. You get your horse from the stable and head to the North Gate, unless you wish to investigate what happened between the Inn Keeper, the barmaid and the thug.

Investigate the incident behind the Inn, or rendezvous with the constable? What do you do?

Jheddon and a woman could be in danger, as the man with the sword looked quite tough. I'm going to investigate what went on behind the inn, stealthily and with my weapons at my side, in case there is trouble.

Last edited:
Back