Having a 'workplace-intervention' conversation with a friend/colleague

Never involve HR in anything. The supervisor could have talked to him. Supervision is like child care. Not everything needs be documented. A supervisor tends to be a better communicator and better placed to gently guide / coach the person unlike some well meaning colleague who can put his foot in it so easily.

Not everything needs to be documented

See you in court

:lol: In today's litigious society, have no doubt, everything needs to be documented. I know this as I have spent time in court. Your documentation better include equal treatment for everyone or you auto-lose. That includes how you handle problem employees. You turn employee counseling over to a supervisor or worse, other employees and add to that the removal of HR, you are going to have your ass handed to you in court.. guaranteed

Last edited:
See you in court

:lol: In today's litigious society, have no doubt, everything needs to be documented. I know this as I have spent time in court. Your documentation better include equal treatment for everyone or you auto-lose. That includes how you handle problem employees. You turn employee counseling over to a supervisor or worse, other employees and add to that the removal of HR, you are going to have your ass handed to you in court.. guaranteed

100% accurate

It's not your role to manage co-workers, there are people out there being paid to do that, and quite likely being paid more than you for it. They're called, strangely enough, "Managers".

See you in court

Here, as a supervisor, if you provide constructive coaching to an employee, on how they can better get their point across in meetings, without being critical of them it's not performance counselling it's coaching.

If you're taking the person down the road of performance counselling, yah follow every protocol.

Oh, HR is 100% fucking over employees as much as possible without actually breaking the law too much, and maintaining plausible deniability when they do. Line managers are the ones that should be pulling staff behavior into line. In my experience though, many are too busy managing upward to pay much attention to what's actually going on within their teams.

Last edited:
Am I the only one who think that your co-workers were complete a**holes to single you out to do their dirty work for them? Maybe the guy was socially incompetent and a PIA for the team, but he was good at his job and you seemed to be his only "friend" so they just had to break that. Malicious cowards.
I hate people.

Edit: poor grammar

i also said that w/ my "we're all equals here" post

rusty's their bitch, they got him 2 take the fire for them b/c he's a chump

Am I the only one who think that your co-workers were complete a**holes to single you out to do their dirty work for them? Maybe the guy was socially incompetent and a PIA for the team, but he was good at his job and you seemed to be his only "friend" so they just had to break that. Malicious cowards.
I hate people.

Edit: poor grammar

Sounds likely. "Hey you put up with his shit, can you talk to him please?"

"Take it up with the boss"

Here, as a supervisor, if you provide constructive coaching to an employee, on how they can better get their point across in meetings, without being critical of them it's not performance counselling it's coaching.

If you're taking the person down the road of performance counselling, yah follow every protocol.

Yeah so you have a problem employee. He is coached/not coached.. never/at some point for something else.

He is written up and eventually fired.

He sues and in court they ask you about your coaching. You say well yeah, we occasionally coach employees that have issues/problems, or there are also performance coaching sessions. (Whatever you want to call them).. but yeah we coach sometimes

They ask if those coaching sessions are documented. You say.. Well, we don't document those.

They say.. this employee says you treated your other coached employees different.. we would like to see proof of the content of ALL your coaching sessions. We need to verify equal standards.

I don't have them. You say

You lose. good day sir. They say.

Pay up Bitch

Blame what HR has turned into on SJWs. They are filing frivolous lawsuits and the company is forced to protect themselves or no one has a job. Poof, Welcome to HR hell.

It was so much easier when you could just tell an employee.. Hey get your shit together or go be successful somewhere else.

Those days are gone because some people are soft, complaining bitches

Last edited:
Hold up...I think you're still way off target... talking to supervisor = bad -10 exp points, talking to HR = bad -40 points...

do u think he will EVER have a good working life if he knows that someone approached HR to deal with these issues? That would only worsen his situation there. You can't just start running to HR, that is literally what everyone who works in a corp environment HATES about employees. And if someone finds out who it was, that person is totally ostracized. You may think supervisors and managers and directors are the end-all to problem-solving, but we're all adults, and when shit gets to HR ppl start getting written up and weekly meetings and blah blah and that shit really influenes someones job.

Every single place I've been at, supervisors always suggest that the person closest to them should pull them aside and have a chill convrsation with a dose of reality, but as soon as it gets 'official' with 'conversations being documented'...fuck that shit for real 100%

The guy is v. difficult to work with but he still needs to eat, he still needs to pay his bills and he still needs to be able to feel like he can come to work without a gun held to his head, he needs breathing room too.

fuck taking things to leadership and HR...unless someone threatened me in a major way or is risking my job entirely, i will never be a rat and if ur a rat, fuck you to high hell, b/c talking to a supervisor and HR is petty and stupid...

you can call it the way the system works and is built, but thats like saying the govt is good b/c of how its set up...nah...dont forget who sets the rules, those in power who think they know everyhting...

the world is very gray, fuck leadership and HR...HR for sure....

My wife does HR but I would never go to HR to complain about someone, thats some boston mafia rat shit.
While I agree with your overall theory of SJW HR hell, how much time did you spend thinking, "Well, if I talk to X about his behavior affecting the other team members, what would happen if X was to go to the SJW infested HR and talk about what I plan on saying to X?" How do you know he wont go and discusses you to HR?

A few months ago, you created (I am almost positive it was you) a thread where you had a 'talk' with someone who would constantly cut through the cubicles to shave off the time it takes to get to his destination. Was that person part of the group that wanted you to talk to X? Are you 100% sure that it isn't you that the team has the 'problem' with?

Is it possible that it is you that the team has problems with, and they want you to go to another problem employee, start some shit - some drama - to have this person go to HR and get you fired?

At some point in your career, you are going to have to come to the conclusion that your work-mates are not your friends. Working in a corporate environment is very similar to a live-action Survivor TV show where everyone is competing against one another to be noticed by management in hopes they can bring home a bigger check.

And employing women massively compounds this problem. As we saw with the pound metoo movement, women are willing to do whatever it takes to climb the ladder to get noticed. The team members that approached you to 'talk' to this other person - of them, how many were female?

Unless your job description specifically states that you are being paid to defuse employment situations at work, you can get into a lot of shit for what you did. Even if you're brought into the SJW nightmare place and explain the situation to them, they too could feel threatened that you - someone other than them - interjected themselves into a position that they are supposed to handle.

Good luck, dude.

I am binary, [strike]mexican/indian/black[/strike] not white, I am over 50 and I have an opioid dependency that I need help with... kiss your business goodbye

Last edited:
While walking back from a meeting and saying "That was good how you let that guy go on" is about as much coaching as I'm talking about. There's no 'sessions' or formality to it. When I provide positives around the good things someone did it's hardly going to land me in court.

unless you're extremely close you should stfu about stuff like this.

it's not your job to supervise or coach your peers.

Back