Having a 'workplace-intervention' conversation with a friend/colleague

dood, if i have a problem with another employee, i don't go to my supervisor lol

i either try to take care of it myself or i go straight to hr.

it is none of my supervisor's business.

i don't need my supervisor to "reference" it to HR

but i do agree, that was an awkward situation that took place. still, if the guy has a problem with it, he should take it to HR and complain about OP. supervisor should have NOTHING to do with it.

I don't think you understand what the word 'supervisor' means.

Most of the above is exactly what they are there for, first thing HR does is ask the supervisor what they know about the problem. You would look like an ass for bypassing him/her/it.

HR isn't there to be your playground monitor, they have more important things to do, such as attending training days, going to conferences, making lists of KPI's for job roles they know nothing about etc.

Oh I get it now. You need this conversation to be completely verbose, or you will inundate it with semantics.

"as a supervisor, I'd be pretty annoyed if staff took this on themselves rather than get me or HR involved"

Does that satisfy your autism?

Hold up...I think you're still way off target... talking to supervisor = bad -10 exp points, talking to HR = bad -40 points...

do u think he will EVER have a good working life if he knows that someone approached HR to deal with these issues? That would only worsen his situation there. You can't just start running to HR, that is literally what everyone who works in a corp environment HATES about employees. And if someone finds out who it was, that person is totally ostracized. You may think supervisors and managers and directors are the end-all to problem-solving, but we're all adults, and when shit gets to HR ppl start getting written up and weekly meetings and blah blah and that shit really influenes someones job.

Every single place I've been at, supervisors always suggest that the person closest to them should pull them aside and have a chill convrsation with a dose of reality, but as soon as it gets 'official' with 'conversations being documented'...fuck that shit for real 100%

The guy is v. difficult to work with but he still needs to eat, he still needs to pay his bills and he still needs to be able to feel like he can come to work without a gun held to his head, he needs breathing room too.

fuck taking things to leadership and HR...unless someone threatened me in a major way or is risking my job entirely, i will never be a rat and if ur a rat, fuck you to high hell, b/c talking to a supervisor and HR is petty and stupid...

you can call it the way the system works and is built, but thats like saying the govt is good b/c of how its set up...nah...dont forget who sets the rules, those in power who think they know everyhting...

the world is very gray, fuck leadership and HR...HR for sure....

My wife does HR but I would never go to HR to complain about someone, thats some boston mafia rat shit.

This isn't about how it should be.. it is about how it is. Supervisors are glorified babysitter 95% of the time

Nice wall of text about how your way is "The Right Way"

If you are so sure of your actions, why did you feel the need to make a thread on TW?

Tell me, has the situation now been resolved?

Make sure you post from your phone when he sets fire to the building after locking all of you inside.

Every single place I've been at, supervisors always suggest that the person closest to them should pull them aside and have a chill convrsation with a dose of reality, but as soon as it gets 'official' with 'conversations being documented'...fuck that shit for real 100%

Either you're full of shit, or you've worked with managers who don't mind losing their job. That isn't policy anywhere I've worked, and opens the door to all kinds of personnel issues.

I'm not a huge stickler for policy, but when it involves people's actual employment, or potential for litigation, I follow it to the letter and would never suggest people just "handle it"

that's the wrong answer.

Either you're full of shit, or you've worked with managers who don't mind losing their job. That isn't policy anywhere I've worked, and opens the door to all kinds of personnel issues.

I'm not a huge stickler for policy, but when it involves people's actual employment, or potential for litigation, I follow it to the letter and would never suggest people just "handle it"

that's the wrong answer.

Some people in this thread have no clue what goes on in management/HR/Courts

I think a few people should request a copy of their job description and maybe see if it includes handling employee conflicts

Hold up...I think you're still way off target... talking to supervisor = bad -10 exp points, talking to HR = bad -40 points...

do u think he will EVER have a good working life if he knows that someone approached HR to deal with these issues? That would only worsen his situation there. You can't just start running to HR, that is literally what everyone who works in a corp environment HATES about employees. And if someone finds out who it was, that person is totally ostracized. You may think supervisors and managers and directors are the end-all to problem-solving, but we're all adults, and when shit gets to HR ppl start getting written up and weekly meetings and blah blah and that shit really influenes someones job.

The guy is v. difficult to work with but he still needs to eat, he still needs to pay his bills and he still needs to be able to feel like he can come to work without a gun held to his head, he needs breathing room too.

fuck taking things to leadership and HR...unless someone threatened me in a major way or is risking my job entirely, i will never be a rat and if ur a rat, fuck you to high hell, b/c talking to a supervisor and HR is petty and stupid...

you can call it the way the system works and is built, but thats like saying the govt is good b/c of how its set up...nah...dont forget who sets the rules, those in power who think they know everyhting...

the world is very gray, fuck leadership and HR...HR for sure....

My wife does HR but I would never go to HR to complain about someone, thats some boston mafia rat shit.

if you seriously think everyone at your job are adults, thats the first major mistake you are making. When you fuck this up and the person gettign the intervention goes to HR have fun explaining in your next job interview how you got you and a bunch of people fired. You could lie about it and thats probably what you should do but you will learn. Would you rather be right or would you rather still be employed?

i have people in their 50-60's that SWJ HR everything. Stop acting like they people you are working with are adults, they arn't, at best they are old ass kids who prolly suck at their job.

when i started my job there was 7 people total including myself. Now there's 4. And the amount of work load hasn't changed. So what exactly were those 3 people doing? Just gossiping and busy work.

they were working smart, more money, less effort

Lean Working, just like Lean Manufacture but in the workers favour for once :sunny:

Back