Zero Dark Thirty

For you guys calling it propaganda :

Did you think Argo was propaganda too? What about Pearl Harbor?

it speaks volumes about how far downhill this country has gone when so many people get their diapers in a twist cause some terrorist got wet

73606790.jpg

I don't know, she should have

What is this from?

i thought the movie was not very good at all, regardless of whatever your views on torture are. it was dumb, i can't believe it was up for oscars...that girl had like 4 speaking lines

i liked the hurt locker though.

i liked zero dark thirty quite a bit

i don't think it "justified" torture.

of course torture works.

whether or not it ought to be used is a moral/value judgement.

anyway, it was such a small part of the movie, it was about the chase and the shitty job they did in finding the fucker.

For you guys calling it propaganda :

Did you think Argo was propaganda too? What about Pearl Harbor?

As opposed to impartially providing information, propaganda, in its most basic sense, presents information primarily to influence an audience. Propaganda often presents facts selectively (thus possibly lying by omission) to encourage a particular synthesis, or uses loaded messages to produce an emotional rather than rational response to the information presented.

Argo doesn't make much of an effort to tell an impartial story; it tells an 'AMERICA - FUCK YEAH!, Iran - FUCK YOU!' story.... also this movie comes out at a time when tensions over Iran's nuclear capabilities are on the rise. But you're right. That's not propaganda. It's just a coincidence that Americans might feel a sense of pride in their country, while validating their vilification of Iran.

As for Zero Dark Thirty, it chronicles an agency's efforts to obtain information via torture of hundreds of individuals across several black sites in various countries, and was/is ongoing for years. Yet in the movie, the only torture they chose to expose to the audience was when it lead to key information that got the team closer to Bin Laden. That's a pretty positive/selective spin on the issue that might make people think there's nothing wrong with it. This is reinforced even more as the protagonist (which serves as the audience's POV) is at first unsettled by torture, but over time accepts it and aggressively pursues it. By the time she has survived a hotel bombing, a personal assassination attempt, and being in contact with her friend the moment her friend is killed; you as a viewer aren't left with any sense of remorse towards someone who is a 'suspected terrorist'.

You're kidding yourself if you think American produced TV/films/media aren't propaganda. It might not be in the same league as all the wacko north korean shit (FOX typically is); but the overall message is the same - America is great. America's enemies are villains. Actions against America's enemies are a source of validation, patriotism, pride, and entertainment.

Argo doesn't make much of an effort to tell an impartial story; it tells an 'AMERICA - FUCK YEAH!, Iran - FUCK YOU!' story.... also this movie comes out at a time when tensions over Iran's nuclear capabilities are on the rise. But you're right. That's not propaganda. It's just a coincidence that Americans might feel a sense of pride in their country, while validating their vilification of Iran.

As for Zero Dark Thirty, it chronicles an agency's efforts to obtain information via torture of hundreds of individuals across several black sites in various countries, and was/is ongoing for years. Yet in the movie, the only torture they chose to expose to the audience was when it lead to key information that got the team closer to Bin Laden. That's a pretty positive/selective spin on the issue that might make people think there's nothing wrong with it. This is reinforced even more as the protagonist (which serves as the audience's POV) is at first unsettled by torture, but over time accepts it and aggressively pursues it. By the time she has survived a hotel bombing, a personal assassination attempt, and being in contact with her friend the moment her friend is killed; you as a viewer aren't left with any sense of remorse towards someone who is a 'suspected terrorist'.

You're kidding yourself if you think American produced TV/films/media aren't propaganda. It might not be in the same league as all the wacko north korean shit (FOX typically is); but the overall message is the same - America is great. America's enemies are villains. Actions against America's enemies are a source of validation, patriotism, pride, and entertainment.

You fail to understand that some of us could careless about anything other than American motives. I don't give a damn who we have to fuck up, innocent or guilty, to protect our freedoms and interest. The whole idea that we are supposed to be different from other countries in our humanitarian ways is complete bullshit. We are savages and I like it that way. Throughout history we have made perfectly clear that if you attack us, we will return the favor 10x over. Our standing in the world is a product of these concepts and I'm all in favor of doing whatever it takes to keep it that way.

Last edited:
As opposed to impartially providing information, propaganda, in its most basic sense, presents information primarily to influence an audience. Propaganda often presents facts selectively (thus possibly lying by omission) to encourage a particular synthesis, or uses loaded messages to produce an emotional rather than rational response to the information presented.

Like...in a documentary?

I think just because the movie came out so soon after Bin Laden's death you assume its propaganda.

Then why are we letting the government spy on us and claim the right to kill Americans without due process and passing legislation like the Patriot Act and NDAA, codifying the behavior. Do you believe its acceptable to kill Americans overseas without due process? Do you think they will respect our rights domestically that they've already claimed the authority to violate? Do you think killing innocent non-citizens overseas doesn't motivate more insurgency and terrorism, thus threatening our safety at home as well as troops abroad?

Back