What do you think of XMP?

Natural said:
In my 5 minutes of playing it, it feels like the whole world is zoomed out. Seems like everything is too small... especially players.

I noticed this too. I feel like it's mostly spray and pray when shooting people.

I think xmp's 'zoomed out world' syndrome is just an indication that theres still some work to do in terms of balancing player speeds, weapon ranges and power etc. I would expect it'll get better when they officially release (who knows... maybe it won't ;)

This has been a problem in T2. Weird player scale to ground detail plus terrible contrast (muddiness) caused bad depth perception.

I don't know if that's the problem in XMP, but it is definately a problem games have had, and it is something that is best helped by careful work in scaling the player models and position the player's camera in his collision pill.

Of course, months ago you good men said you were careful to adjust that.

Mr Fish said:
I think xmp's 'zoomed out world' syndrome is just an indication that theres still some work to do in terms of balancing player speeds, weapon ranges and power etc. I would expect it'll get better when they officially release (who knows... maybe it won't ;)

They released it two days ago :(

Natural said:
In my 5 minutes of playing it, it feels like the whole world is zoomed out. Seems like everything is too small... especially players.

A zoom script helps this a ton. The one I use basically forces FOV to more zoomed in values (i think 40 and 10, the default is 85). That takes care of that.

For one of the more general complaints about the game being too slow movement wise.... its because we are used to Tribes. Of course any FPS is pretty much slow compared to Tribes. But for most FPS games, XMP is probably a lot faster because of the jump jets. If you want to see a SLOWWWWWWWW FPS, check out Halo.

The jump jets are what make XMP at least better than the other FPS i've played (besides tribes). as already stated, you can move pretty fast with shift + dodge forward + jump jet.

this game also will be more fun when people actually get decent and understand the game. this game requires a lot of teamwork, not unlike tribes.

Doaln said:
The jump jets are what make XMP at least better than the other FPS i've played (besides tribes). as already stated, you can move pretty fast with shift + dodge forward + jump jet.

this game also will be more fun when people actually get decent and understand the game. this game requires a lot of teamwork, not unlike tribes.

exactly. ive found the level of play has jumped remarkably in the past 2 days, on the big "myunreal" pubs. i got spoiled during beta, as late night folks were REALLY good and we had consistently great matches. now it's insanely long matches with minimal defense, but folks are still getting better... fast.

ive noticed a number of mutators coming out, and wont be shocked when a more tribesey mutator is around :D

EDIT:

ok, here's a thought. TsN|Byte and i have a weapon mostly working for UT2k3. we have models by sonofman and illy for temp use. i might try to skin a version of this i made myself. we coded a mutator for ut2k3 with nightvision and a shock grenade. it rocks.

maybe we can port that to XMP, integrate with proper skiing, and tweak that one shocklance weapon to be more like a spinfuser?

anyways, we could make a mutator which is tribes-inspired but not try to really offer a purely tribes experience either. pimped out rifle, skiing, everybody is a light/ranger with the 2 core weapons (rifle with scope/nade and the lance/fuser thing)

worthy idea?

QM203Rifle2.jpg

yes, we have 3 half-done versions of this rifle done in max. one by myself, one by illy (legends fame) and one by sonofman (just of general fame).

Last edited:
i forget if this is the thread where its mentioned or not, but double tapping keys is a damn good idea for T:V. like whoever posted it (i think Sir Lucius), it opens up a bunch of keys for it and a lot of double taps make sense. like f for throw flag maybe and double-tap for max throw. you can even make the default configs not use any double taps if you want for simplicity's sake. but the ability for us to config them if we want would be nice.

edit: to the post above, why limit to light/ranger? what's wrong w/ techie & heavy? might need a few tweaks but they would be doable too.

Doaln said:
edit: to the post above, why limit to light/ranger? what's wrong w/ techie & heavy? might need a few tweaks but they would be doable too.

true true.

while i think the classes are quite well balanced as they are by default, for a mutator... honestly, i like the idea of providing a focused and more simple gameplay. it you go through all the classes again, you need to offer a full range of choices. instead of "tweaking" everything and trying to remake a new game, i'd rather just offer a simplified... focused mutator option. faster. simpler. doable.

that said, i can imagine offering rifle, fuser and maybe a nade launcher with a few options (smoke, etc).

the idea would be to have very fast, very mobile gameplay... harnessing XMP dynamics but getting a bit more of a tribesy feel to it. i dont want to make a renegades mod for XMP, but rather am suggesting a simplified, dynamic and VERY simple option which could be fun.

ZenTseTse said:
true true.

while i think the classes are quite well balanced as they are by default, for a mutator... honestly, i like the idea of providing a focused and more simple gameplay. it you go through all the classes again, you need to offer a full range of choices. instead of "tweaking" everything and trying to remake a new game, i'd rather just offer a simplified... focused mutator option. faster. simpler. doable.

that said, i can imagine offering rifle, fuser and maybe a nade launcher with a few options (smoke, etc).

the idea would be to have very fast, very mobile gameplay... harnessing XMP dynamics but getting a bit more of a tribesy feel to it. i dont want to make a renegades mod for XMP, but rather am suggesting a simplified, dynamic and VERY simple option which could be fun.

add skiing and jet pack and see how balance is. then worry about simplifying, tweaking, and dropping stuff you feel necessary. w/o giving it too much thought i think it'd be pretty balance as is. major problem is the classes become even more role limited. rangers would make *SHITTTTTTT* chasers. techs are obviously the best chasers (AR + speed).

perhaps give them all the same base weapons + one unique each. base weapons are AR + heavies GL + your disk launcher thingie.

light = sniper
techie = shottie
heavy = rocket launcher

edit: what i'm suggesting probably takes a lot less work than your full implementation idea and lowers the learning curve for new people (all they need to do is learn skiing).

good points.

ive actually tested decent skiing code for ut2k3. hopefully we can see it in XMP.

as for tweaking/mutating/modding, you make a good point.

i also know there are a lot of little cool new addons folks are doign from auto-destructing raptors to trip-mines which explode into poison gas (instead of normal explosions).

i might personally fiddle with that shocklance thing to see if i can get the alt-fire to be a tad more spin-fuserish.

ZenTseTse said:
good points.

ive actually tested decent skiing code for ut2k3. hopefully we can see it in XMP.

as for tweaking/mutating/modding, you make a good point.

i also know there are a lot of little cool new addons folks are doign from auto-destructing raptors to trip-mines which explode into poison gas (instead of normal explosions).

i might personally fiddle with that shocklance thing to see if i can get the alt-fire to be a tad more spin-fuserish.

actually, i just thought about it a little bit. the shotgun is probably not a good enuf unique for the tech. perhaps the techie could have another new weapon? i dunno. i'll keep thinking on it.

also, i just thought about the rocket launcher and duh, the disk launcher is basically a rocket laucher. so instead of rocket launcher for heavy, he needs a more powerful grenade launcher, like mortar like. the gas grenade + more damage would do the trick. tweak w/ the radius tho.

Doaln said:
also, i just thought about the rocket launcher and duh, the disk launcher is basically a rocket laucher.

:roller:

this is also why the gunner feels the most like tribes, to me, especially on the low grav maps.

ZenTseTse said:
:roller:

this is also why the gunner feels the most like tribes, to me, especially on the low grav maps.

make my game/mod, it will not suck. i give u george foreman's guarentee.

Turrets too strong. Vehicle controls suck so much. Levels are nice and give me the ability to look at the map engine for t:v

Back