What do you think of XMP?

XMP is fun, but it is very frustrating at first. I could have just as easily tried it the first time and said "this sucks" and not worried at all about it ever again. But, I stuck to it and it has turned out to actually be pretty cool. But there are a few things that are completely retarded about it:

#1 Its impossible to find good servers. Even when a server says its not full, often times youll get a "server full" message when trying to connect.

#2 The pings to the servers arent at all accurate in the join menu. Its pretty ridiculous when you ping 150 to a server, then when you join your ping is a steady 300. The inverse is also true, sometimes servers that ping 300 end up pinging 100 in game. Its very, very frustrating to find an empty server that pings well.

#3 There is no form of in game tutorial of what the weapons do or any gameplay mechanics. The tutorial is so general and non-specific that it doesnt really tell you anything (basically all the tutorial does is say stupid OBVIOUS things, like "generators create power for your team". Well, no shit?). I played the game like 3-4 times before i figured out how to lock on with missles, and I still dont understand what the grenade launcher does for each class.

#4 The vehicle implementation is very, very bad. They are not useful at all. The tank is basically pointless, as normal armors are just as hard to kill, but much harder to hit. You cant repair them either. The only advantage to them is that they are faster than walking. Also, the way they spawn is stupid. Instead of punishing a team for losing vehicles, it rewards them by respawning vehicles almost isntantly. Thats completely stupid! But, no one uses them anyway, so who cares.

i can't get into it at all.

instead of just running, you get to jump kinda far. yay. it is basically UT with a bigger jump. too me, that doesn't warrant much praise.

vehicles are terrible, pings are terrible, weapons are awkward.

i could go on, but i won't. i just don't like it.

Crom said:
i can't get into it at all.

instead of just running, you get to jump kinda far. yay. it is basically UT with a bigger jump. too me, that doesn't warrant much praise.

vehicles are terrible, pings are terrible, weapons are awkward.

i could go on, but i won't. i just don't like it.

Honestly, I think that's what a lot of NEW people who try Tribes for the first time feel. (not so much pings/vehicles).

The whole movement, killing, inv stations, packs, weapons, base assets, etc, etc.

Just try and explain how to play Tribes to someone who never has. You quickly realize that it's a complicated mutha. :)

Seems like a poor mans Tribes to me and Noobies seem to be the bigest problems. 8 v 8 and i am the only one hacking Gens and other stuff against 5 on the other team.

Meh....

XMP is a game design nightmare, there is no unified idea behind its, its a big mix of average to poorely executed elements.

As my friend said, pizza is good, pepsi is good, and ice cream is good.

But a pepsi pizza milkshake isn't.

ilys said:
I take it you've never played U2:TA before? XMPs weapons and effects are not like T:Vs, T:Vs weapons and effects are like U2:TAs.
Yea, I played it.. and I know the weapons are fom U2, but XMP "felt" (to me) like a pre-alpha of T:V. Things like the "jet/burst" thing looked like an attempt to make a normal jet. Other things like the *way* people repaired/hacked objects/people, *looked* (in my mind) like how it will be in T:V (once again, I'm just guessing). Plus the rifle.. etc

Just funny note, not meant to spread facts or anything :p

Father Ruckus said:
Unreal Warfare is a yet to be specified project. And most of the time you dont know what your talking about. ;)

So, you think Unreal Warfare exists as a future... "project"?

News to me... Can't say i know everything, but unreal/unreal tech is something i follow... really closely, and have for years.

Indeed, you can find references to an UNreal Warfare as the title of the Engine itself. You can find references to an Unreal Warfare as a product being developed circa 2001/02 (i think ut2k4 onslaught mode suggests part of what they had in mind). YOu can find EXPLICIT comments from Epic that UW no longer exists as a product as recently as last year. But there are also rumors of something akin underway (probably through scion studios, epic's latest offshoot).

I'm just simply saying that UT2k3 itself wasn't part of their original plan, and was probably a miscalculation as they figured a sequel of a popular game would inherently do well. Personally, i think they'd have done better with Unreal2 MP from the start, with a followup UW product right about now. oh well...

XMP is a very simplified form of the original unreal2 MP plan which was trashed in order to focus MP efforts at ut2k3.

XMP is endlessly more refreshing than UT2k3.

EDIT:

watch this tech video from the GDC 2002

http://www.nvidia.com/nzone/sources/calendar/unreal_contest/media.html

to me, that is an indication of epic playing with some themes during 2001... which relates to Unreal Warfare (at least indirectly). they deny it, but... they also deny ever calling the engine "unreal warfare".

Last edited:
Validuz had good comments on page 2. I'll do the same with the pro/con things.

Pros
Game runs on most systems with no crashing
Good Graphics
Lots of weapons with alt fire
It has vehicles to get around

Cons
If a server is full, you have to refresh the list, takes time
Most servers are laggy.
Most servers can only have 16 players max, I want 60 like HV.
No jet pack, takes forever to get to action
Would rather have vehicle purchase system
Snipers pick off people and I can't see where they are
Enemies are hard to see with no marker above their head

For the above cons, I get bored and now I'm back to T2. A typical game of XMP goes like this.
Spend 10 minutes finding a server because they're all full (even though they say 13 of 16). Wait 20 seconds to spawn. Finally get into game, no vehicles around. Spend 20 seconds running out of base, get shot by a sniper. Repeat. Vehicle appears, cool, get in, drive to enemy base, get to artifact room, there's laser walls, turrets, and 4 people defending, I'm dead. Repeat sniper crap thing. Screw it, I fire up T2, get in a shrike, and go cap a flag.

Jet packs are what the other games need to be good. And forget the wait to spawn crap. If I die, I wanna hit fire and be right back in the action.

pyrot3chnic said:
so.. you would like t:v to have alt fire? :no:
Actually not, it was entertaining to try the weapons out.
Most of the them don't do anything because I can't even see the person I'm shooting at.

I also use the alt fire key for my jet pack button in T2. So no, alt fire is not needed in T:V.

The dogfighting in XMP just doesn't feel right. When I get in a battle 3v2 or something and all I have is a sniper rifle, pistol, and grenade launcher...it's very hard to compete. I need my disc launcher :[

Back