What do you think of XMP?

so i was watching that unreal video.. and i saw something that happens on my computer all the time.. i just assumed it was because of bad drivers.. but this movie was made by ati.. soooo..
unreal.JPG

why is that light showing through the character model?

ChaoStar said:
The dogfighting in XMP just doesn't feel right. When I get in a battle 3v2 or something and all I have is a sniper rifle, pistol, and grenade launcher...it's very hard to compete. I need my disc launcher :[

Then get a pick a class with real weaponry, dummy.

cAn said:
so i was watching that unreal video.. and i saw something that happens on my computer all the time.. i just assumed it was because of bad drivers.. but this movie was made by ati.. soooo..
unreal.JPG

why is that light showing through the character model?

That's the corona. The effect has the corona fade out over time instead of just disappearing. I would think that having it disappear if it goes behind something would be more "accurate" but I guess they like shiney things.

yup thats unreals hacky corona system, which just fades out over time rather than doing occlusion based fading (where the more occluded the light source is, the dimmer the corona). in tribes we have a proper fullscreen glow effect, where emissive surfaces have a glow that fades out and bleeds around the edges of things infront of them. it looks nice.

Mr Fish said:
yup thats unreals hacky corona system, which just fades out over time rather than doing occlusion based fading (where the more occluded the light source is, the dimmer the corona). in tribes we have a proper fullscreen glow effect, where emissive surfaces have a glow that fades out and bleeds around the edges of things infront of them. it looks nice.

Sweet!

btw, that video isnt by ATI. it was a GDC 2002 demo made by Epic. im very eager to see what they did this year.

Mr Fish said:

nice.

Mr Fish said:

That was THE first thing I found wrong with the unreal engine. The next was all of the fake lighting effects. How exactly does the specular lighting work in the unreal engine? Is it all precomputed? It doesn't seem to change based on the camera position, a la true reflection. It's just kinda....there. But for some reason, it looks pretty nice.

for pics of our glow effect, check out anything with jetpack flames in it. also there was a recent screen shot with a beagle female (i think?) standing infront of a big glowy skull thingy... you can see the glow bleeding round and fuzzifying the edges of the player model. its a subtle effect, but you really notice the difference when you turn it off.

yeah unreal doesnt support proper specular. If you have a look at their shader material, the specular is just a cubemap applied to the model. in tribes we have a proper light source dependent per pixel specular, which is nice for metal or shiny stuff ;)

What I'm talking about is in the XMP demo, the spawn point thingies spin when you spawn, and if you look at it, the lighting doesn't change on it. You'll really see it if you look at the little cutout on the top/center of the spinny thing. It's like the specular lighting is there...sort of I guess, except it's completely static.

Also, some of the terrain textures are very stretched and some of the collision is completely wrong. Will this be a problem in T:V as well?

I'm also curious as to why unreal looks so shiny and bright. Is this because of customized shaders, or does it use plain old API routines? This is something I'd like to improve in the torque game engine, but OpenGL doesn't seem to want to brighten up for me without using a shader.

That cube mapped specular is kinda silly too. That would only work well for outdoor environments, which unreal uses so little. Maybe if there was a seperate cube map for each room/portal it might work, but...meh. Sounds like you're doing epic's job for them and reaping the rewards.

I haven't played planetside, but I kept getting the feeling that was what XMP was based on. It feels like mini-planetside. PS without the never-ending battles so to speak. Capture an objective, gain some power ups.

Aside from the control issues, there are a couple of problems. Tactically it's kind of fun, though there are too many automated defenses. Trip mines, mines, forcefields, turrets... come on now.

It really feels like they tried to take a little part of every game and add it in. The medics, respawn time, flamethrower from RTCW; Hacking and Objectives from Planetside; Jets, Turrets, Mines from Tribes; Spawns from BF1942.

In the end it feels like there is just too much non-sense going on in the game. It really doesn't feel very thought out, I mean it's fun, but it seems the devs just wanted as many features as they could stuff into the game. And that's what it feels like, UT control with everything they could stuff in from every popular game in there.

Assicle said:
It's alright, but needs more jetpack and less walk

Basically what I think too, as a lovely biased Tribes player. It seemed alright, certainly better then most other standard futeristicy FPS I have stummbled into in the past. Just seems a bit to slow, to much walking, running needs to be better, not so easy to defend. Offence is where the main fun is at, if its slow and dull for D is to easy, then the game sucks IMO.

Mr Fish said:

Can you do a compare/contrast with DX:IW's "bloom" setting for color saturation?

afaik (someone might wanna prove me wrong here), the dx2 bloom setting is applied to every pixel on the screen, which is why you essentially get that kinda slightly blurry saturated look on everything when its enabled. thats a cool effect if yer going for a kinda dirty gritty sorta look, but its not really appropriate for tribes.

the key difference with our effect is that instead of being applied to all pixels on the screen, its only applied to texture surfaces that are explicitly marked as emissive. This means that you only get actual light sources and self illuminated stuff blooming out, rather than everything in the scene. A good example is the glowing character eyes... they bloom out onto the characters faces, but the faces themselves have no blurring or blooming.

Mr Fish said:
afaik (someone might wanna prove me wrong here), the dx2 bloom setting is applied to every pixel on the screen, which is why you essentially get that kinda slightly blurry saturated look on everything when its enabled. thats a cool effect if yer going for a kinda dirty gritty sorta look, but its not really appropriate for tribes.

the key difference with our effect is that instead of being applied to all pixels on the screen, its only applied to texture surfaces that are explicitly marked as emissive. This means that you only get actual light sources and self illuminated stuff blooming out, rather than everything in the scene. A good example is the glowing character eyes... they bloom out onto the characters faces, but the faces themselves have no blurring or blooming.
so will this work like a mirror where we'll be able to see ourselves on metallic surfaces?
the last game i saw a mirror in was duke 3d..

pyrot3chnic said:
so will this work like a mirror where we'll be able to see ourselves on metallic surfaces?
the last game i saw a mirror in was duke 3d..

Torque (not T2, but the latest version) supports this. I believe I saw it in Max Payne. Everquest 2 features realtime reflections.

Realtime reflections are bad because they instantly cut your framerate in half. You have to render the scene twice per frame in order to do it. Usually games use an environment map like a cubemap (pre-render to a texture) as a way to fake this effect (obviously you can't see yourself then).

In my 5 minutes of playing it, it feels like the whole world is zoomed out. Seems like everything is too small... especially players.

Back