[Verizon] Data Outages on East Coast

rootb33r

Contributor
Veteran X
Anyone else lose their connection?

Verizon Wireless LTE Outage Impacts Service on East Coast | Stop the Cap!

I lost it last night and thought it was my phone. I just got pushed an upgrade to 2.3 on Friday, so I thought maybe that was a cause... so I called Verizon this morning, went through the normal troubleshooting methods, and then did a factory reset to see if it would fix it. Nothing happened, so she said it was my phone and I could get a refurbished one in exchange.

I just called back about 30 minutes ago to tell them I wanted to get the exchange going, and the lady I spoke with told me they had data outages on the east coast.

I found this hard to believe because my co-worker in the office next to me has Verizon and has had no issues with data. Then I :google:'d it and there were a bunch of threads on various android forums about it.

I need to do some research because I find it hard to understand how the guy sitting next to me could be on the same network, using the same cell tower, and there is a difference between our connections.

how u know he isnt on a different cell tower bro. you following the datas?

My knowledge of how cell phones work is about as extensive as my knowledge of programming. That is to say, I know more than the average person (not on these boards), and I can comprehend the concepts and logic, but I don't know anything beneath the surface.

Anyway, my point is I would have assumed, based on my limited knowledge, that if 2 people are right next to each other they are using the same cell tower.

What would make 2 phones different enough that one would be affected by outages while the other wouldn't? I would have thought connectivity was a location/position-based thing.

Back