US was prepared to fight off Pakistani military

@ReallyVirtual FAQ - Sohaib Athar

there was one hovering over his neighborhood during the event. He did hear the explosion (at the end of the operation) and apparently locals heard the gun fire during the operation. It does seem a little odd that , assuming locals heard gun fire and the helicopter hovering and those events are considered out of the ordinary, there was no response from pakistani police or the military or anything for 40mins.

I'm assuming that once the operation began (once the troops had touched down), we quickly informed Pakistan of what was going on.

The Pakistani likely knew the day would come when something was going to happen. They likely knew what was going down ... but they are not going to come to the aid of Osama Bin Laden and end up looking like Pakistan is siding with the worlds most infamous Terrorist. The last guys who did that... it didn't work out so well for them.

I doubt the American's gave a heads-up to Pakistani authorities. The risk of spoiling a golden opportunity was just too great. However, I doubt the Pakistani were surprised by it either and probably expected it and decided before hand that they would not interfere.

Pakistan is a tad complicated... Osama has been as much a pain in Pakistan's ass as he has been, or ever was, beneficial to them.

This.

They knew he was there. And they knew the day would come when the US would show up. They also were smart enough not to do a damn thing about it.

They acknowledged they knew of his presence by their omission of action. But all we can do is speculate with certainty. If they had actively resisted, the situation would be even more hostile between your two countries.

I'm assuming that once the operation began (once the troops had touched down), we quickly informed Pakistan of what was going on.

its info like this that I am curious about, but we won't hear about for political/security reasons :( :(

the guardian seemed to suggest they have information that the US and Pakistan had an agreement in place for this exact situation. The idea was that the Pakistan government would do nothing about it, but publicly the government would come out against the event as a violation of their land.

seems to make perfect sense.

i still say fuck pakistan.

the guardian seemed to suggest they have information that the US and Pakistan had an agreement in place for this exact situation. The idea was that the Pakistan government would do nothing about it, but publicly the government would come out against the event as a violation of their land.

seems to make perfect sense.

i still say fuck pakistan.

But the problem was that once we informed Pakistan, the people we were going after wouldn't be there.

unless we told them once the operation was under way?

i'm not going to defend the idea, because it's not my idea. i was just throwing it out there, and it sounds plausible since there seems to be a pretty big lack of information about it all right now.

The president said that we were out of Pakistan before we told them. JoMoFo you're slipping.

The president said that we were out of Pakistan before we told them. JoMoFo you're slipping.

He also said he'd close down Gitmo, pull the troops out of the wars, etc.

Therefore, the most logical explanation is that we told them once the operation was underway and they couldn't tell Bin Laden what was coming but they could withhold their police and military forces from shooting down our copters and rushing to the scene to engage our troops.

Pakistani army probably thought it was OBL burning trash. Seals did blow through a door on their way in. Our guys had night vision scopes, they had AKs in the dark. Not much of a fight there. It's like playing CS:S and being flash banged.

The first idea was to bomb the compound with B-2s from above using daisy cutters.
BLU-82 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Problem was, it would have taken out houses near by, and we would have no proof OBL was killed.

We still have no proof Osama was killed, only "take our word for it" hearsay proof...

Was anyone else as happy as I was to hear that we had a stealth helicopter?

I mean, when I was a kid, movies and what not had me believing the US military had fucking magical powers when it came down to top secret shit. As I got older I pretty much changed that to 'we can't even tap a phone without tripping over ourselves.'

Was anyone else as happy as I was to hear that we had a stealth helicopter?

I mean, when I was a kid, movies and what not had me believing the US military had fucking magical powers when it came down to top secret shit. As I got older I pretty much changed that to 'we can't even tap a phone without tripping over ourselves.'

The perception of incompetence perpetuated by the public of our intelligence and military effectiveness works to obfuscate our real capabilities. Merely allowing the enemy to know what capabilities might exist immediately reduces its effectiveness. Military and the IC have been known to adopt cover stories that place us in negative light, merely to hide classified capabilities. We are far more capable than we lead on, particularly in the technology arena.

Pakistani army probably thought it was OBL burning trash. Seals did blow through a door on their way in. Our guys had night vision scopes, they had AKs in the dark. Not much of a fight there. It's like playing CS:S and being flash banged.

yes. It's exactly like playing CS:S.

Back