True Grit?

79196.jpg

<3 arena

saw this movie about 3 days ago. I really enjoyed it. top notch acting, compelling story, and very well done. never saw the original, but i'd recommend this movie to any friend.

Great film.

Not exactly a typical Coen film, in that they didn't reinvent the genre or push some new delightful experience, but you'd have to be an idiot to not be entertained throughout.

If you're on the fence I'd say wait til it's on DVD or see it when it gets cheaper. The theater doesn't add much and will probably be packed.

i didnt think it was anything special - to be honest, i was actually kind of disappointed.

it was mildly entertaining but id certainly never pay to see it. as far as oscar for the dude? maybe, i could see it. his character was good but overall the plot was extremely boring and slow.

i didnt think it was anything special - to be honest, i was actually kind of disappointed.

it was mildly entertaining but id certainly never pay to see it. as far as oscar for the dude? maybe, i could see it. his character was good but overall the plot was extremely boring and slow.

I feel you're selling it a bit short, but it definitely isn't the typical coen film.

If the idea of a character driven wild west film doesn't appeal, wait for the DVD.

the dude would have driven the movie a lot further had the girl not taken up so much screen time with her incessant babbling

saw it last night. great christmas eve movie with the so. Definitely 9/10. Would even watch again probably which is rare these days.

i was underwhelmed, though i agree it is good

- jeff bridges did a great job and was pretty entertaining
- hailee stanfield (who was in a grad thesis at my school before being cast in TG) does a fine job
- the coens operate best at their extremes, imo. very black humor (not like tyler perry jackasses, i'm talking about fargo), grim/stark (no country for old men) or plain wacky (intolerable cruelty/raising arizona) and this movie seemed to be sort of in the middle, and rather than get the best of all worlds, i instead got something just didn't feel very 'coen' to me
- roger deakins also underwhelmed me for possibly the first time ever in the history of cinema

Just got back from the flick...

It was awesome in a non action way. If that girl doesn't get "Best Actress" it will be highway robbery. Best western movie since Unforgiven at least.

watched it, wasnt impressed

couldnt really bring myself to care about the characters and their issues. the main "villain" was not much of a villain at all.

i dont know at what point jeff bridge's character was "won-over" by the pigtails girl. it doesnt seem apparent where exactly she earned his respect

matt damon played a decent role, but again, could not care less about his goals either

the entire movie was very anticlimactic (maybe typical coen bros) and uninteresting.

plug: tombstone was and is my fav western. very likable characters, solid story, and of course doc holliday. True Grit didnt compare

I'm all for subjectivity, especially when it comes to such a broad genre of film, but I just can't see how people put Tombstone above The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly or Once Upon a Time in the West, or even Unforgiven.

Still haven't seen True Grit :\

Just got back from seeing it. Haven't been to a theater in forever because i'm not a fan of spending $15 on a movie ticket but i guess the people who bought out my theater are now doing mon-thurs for $5. not bad at all.

As for the show itself. I wasn't wowed or anything but it was entertaining throughout. At no point did I wonder when it was going to end of look down to see what time it was. I'd watch it again when it came out on DVD.

I'm all for subjectivity, especially when it comes to such a broad genre of film, but I just can't see how people put Tombstone above The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly or Once Upon a Time in the West, or even Unforgiven.

Still haven't seen True Grit :\

GBD and unforgiven were awesome in the cinematic aspects - hence the oscar noms/wins

but, tombstone was very entertaining. i still watch youtube clips of doc.holliday and thus why its my fav western

oh and i also loved 3:10 to yuma, bale and crowe's onscreen chemistry (nohomo) was impeccable.

Back