The New Sentra Type R Spec V...

xbamx said:
[/img]http://www.mixmandan.net/images/bam/DSC00002.JPG[/img]

i almost bought an SRT-4 and an SE-R Spec V. i brought home a 20th Anniversary Edition GTI. Between those cars in my opinion it was the best ride i could get.
It isn't too bad, if you're looking for an overpriced semi-luxo hatch

actually i got my GTI for 23k out the door. Cheaper than the SRT-4 and would have been the same exact price as the Spec-V so stfu.

xbamx said:
actually i got my GTI for 23k out the door. Cheaper than the SRT-4 and would have been the same exact price as the Spec-V so stfu.
turbo neon = 19995

add taxes and fees into it its 23k approximately if you can find a dealer selling at MSRP, most dealers have a markup and (at least here) were not willing to budge on it.

xbamx said:
add taxes and fees into it its 23k approximately if you can find a dealer selling at MSRP, most dealers have a markup and (at least here) were not willing to budge on it.
Then you find a better dealer, or wait 3 weeks.

how are you enjoying the ultra soft luxury suspension on your new GTI?

VW's GTI is a darn nice car. It's got a terrific stereo, gorgeous interior and more luxury amenities than a Lincoln Town Car. In other words, the original hot hatch has lost touch with its roots. Remember when fun to drive meant back-to-basics control feel, a simple engine with adequate power and a not-so-embarrassing price tag? Those days ended long ago at VW.

We enjoy a nice interior as much as anyone, but function follows form so closely, it hurts the GTI's performance. We'll start with the seats, which could use some bolstering to save the white knuckling we experienced during hard driving. The steering wouldn't be bad, except it contacts the road through long-wearing Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 tires. And the throttle. Oh, the throttle. Drive-by-wire is more often a curse than a blessing and the calibration used in the GTI is terrible. The throttle is slow to respond and has a general feeling of disconnect and vagueness. Combine that with an easily heat-soaked intercooler and getting the GTI moving on a hot day is a choice between stalling and wheelspin (or bogging if the electronic stability control isn't disabled).

The engine is certainly respectable, delivering the group's second highest power rating (although we've yet to see a stock customer car make this much power). The GTI scored high marks for power delivery and the tunability that comes with a turbo engine. The power helped the GTI tie with the Mazdaspeed Protegé for third quickest quarter-mile elapsed time but the GTI was slightly faster (91.8 mph vs. 89.4 mph) through the traps.

The luxury theme continues through the GTI's suspension. Carefully increasing the GTI's damping, spring rates and roll stiffness would go a long way toward making the car truly fun to drive. As is, it wallows through hard driving with the grace of a water buffalo escaping a starving crocodile. Turn-in leads immediately to the front tires washing out, followed by a stubborn reluctance to rotate. Throw even the slightest bump into the mix and the whole car will bounce from bump stop to droop stop with sometimes frightening results. Throw in some serious body roll and you end up with the slowest slalom speed of the group. In all, the GTI is a fundamentally good package taken to new lows by an overabundance of luxury.

Best Feature: Power. In a way, it's good the stock tires are so bad. You'll want to replace them anyway, and the GTI's big wad of turbocharged torque will help you destroy them.

Worst Feature: The suspension is so soft and wallowy, we would have sworn the GTI was 300 lb heavier than it really is. The ride quality, of course, is excellent.

First three things we'd modify

1: The entire suspension
Leave no stone unturned. Springs, shocks, anti-roll bars, bushings, tires. Look for a kit that has the first three or four tuned together; there are plenty of them. This chassis can be made to handle well if you try.

2: Limited-slip differential
Yes, every car should have one, but especially every car with 179 lb-ft of torque at the wheels. This car is where Quaife got started in the United States. Call Quaife.

3: Bigger intercooler
It's alarming how many tuned 1.8Ts use the stock intercooler. We heat-soaked that tiny little thing in just a few minutes of hard driving.

Base price: $18,910
Measured horsepower at the wheels: 171 hp @ 6300 rpm
Curb weight as tested: 2,890 lb

BeavisNuke said:
how are you enjoying the ultra soft luxury suspension on your new GTI?
i think the 20th anniversary ed has upgraded suspension.. and most of the other upgrades that the 337 has..

still overpriced and underpowered

and SCC even said that the suspension on the R32 (totally reworked) felt disconnected and luxury-esque

suspension on the GTI is horrible. Shocks and springs were my first mod... even VW lovers hate MkIV's because of all the kiddies who drive them and because they are heavy as shit...

I had a golf.. I can tell you yes they follow the luxury trend but the GTI has really crummy suspension , and Lack of power big time.. you need to get like Stage 3 to get that car moving , plus its extremely a heavy car for a hatch..
I still like the GTI.. but from my experiences.. I will never buy a VW again.

I have this instead :

1161testpic-med.JPG

oh and the new spec v's are horrible..

I like the 02-03 looks a lot better..

and 190 of torque is not a whole lot either ;) ( compared to 264lb according to factory for the srt-4 hehe)

I will concur with beavis that my car is in dire need for a LSD.

the new 04's come with standard lsd ( bastards)

But I get the solar yellow ( not being produced for the 04's) and one of the first cars out of the line ( built jan 01 2003).
From the time beavis had a test drive to now.. there has been a outburst of after market parts.. although not as much as wrx ;)

the 20th Anniversary Edition GTI has a full sport suspension and the car was lowered like an inch and a half more than the standard GTI, the 20th can't really be compared to a standard GTI there's a lot of differences.

xbamx said:
the 20th Anniversary Edition GTI has a full sport suspension and the car was lowered like an inch and a half more than the standard GTI, the 20th can't really be compared to a standard GTI there's a lot of differences.

just keep telling yourself that - worse than a 337 owner... :lol:

have you ridden or driven a 337 or 20th AE for that matter. (337 and 20thAE are essentially the same one has a sunroof and the other doesn't)

If I were part of Dodge's marketing department, I would not put the word "Neon" on a car I intended to market to performance enthusiasts, either.

But I'd still think of it as a Neon.

yes, please tell me all about Volkswagens - I am dying to hear your exciting knowledge. The answer to your question is "yes." The problem with the MkIV suspension does not end at ride height and spring rates.

xbamx said:
have you ridden or driven a 337 or 20th AE for that matter. (337 and 20thAE are essentially the same one has a sunroof and the other doesn't)
Take pics of your entire care .. k thanks :bigthumb:

Compareing to power and tourque, the GTI gets beat hard core but i still like the looks of it. Its a pretty looking care for a hatch.

old_skul said:
If I were part of Dodge's marketing department, I would not put the word "Neon" on a car I intended to market to performance enthusiasts, either.

But I'd still think of it as a Neon.
I feel ya, it still based on neons looks but its alike a neon on roids, very good roids at that :p. Depending if i a lot to through down for a car on deposit, i would go for an evo over any of these, it doesnt matter about the monthly car payment if i have enough to through down.

Cracks me up with all these rocket powered rollerskates they are making these days. Turbo Neon, WRX, Lancer EVO, Sentra Spec V. Total pieces of shit with pumped up horsepower to make little ricers pay 20-30k for a 12k car. What a joke.

Back