The 37-Year-Olds Are Afraid of the 23-Year-Olds Who Work for Them

SINep

Veteran XX
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/28/business/gen-z-workplace-culture.html

Twenty-somethings rolling their eyes at the habits of their elders is a longstanding trend, but many employers said there’s a new boldness in the way Gen Z dictates taste.

It’s a fault line that crisscrosses industries and issues. At a retail business based in New York, managers were distressed to encounter young employees who wanted paid time off when coping with anxiety or period cramps. At a supplement company, a Gen Z worker questioned why she would be expected to clock in for a standard eight-hour day when she might get through her to-do list by the afternoon. At a biotech venture, entry-level staff members delegated tasks to the founder. And spanning sectors and start-ups, the youngest members of the work force have demanded what they see as a long overdue shift away from corporate neutrality toward a more open expression of values, whether through executives displaying their pronouns on Slack or putting out statements in support of the protests for Black Lives Matter.

“These younger generations are cracking the code and they’re like, ‘Hey guys turns out we don’t have to do it like these old people tell us we have to do it,’” said Colin Guinn, 41, co-founder of the robotics company Hangar Technology. “‘We can actually do whatever we want and be just as successful.’ And us old people are like, ‘What is going on?’”

Twenty-somethings rolling their eyes at the habits of their elders is a trend as old as Xerox, Kodak and classic rock, but many employers said there’s a new boldness in the way Gen Z dictates taste. And some members of Gen Z, defined as the 72 million people born between 1997 and 2012, or simply as anyone too young to remember Sept. 11, are quick to affirm this characterization.

Ziad Ahmed, 22, founder and chief executive of the Gen Z marketing company JUV Consulting, which has lent its expertise to brands like JanSport, recalled speaking at a conference where a Gen Z woman, an entry-level employee, told him she didn’t feel that her employer’s marketing fully reflected her progressive values.

These children belong at a fucking McDonalds.

They were raised to be lazy. I don't know what to do with them. I train the next generation by working my ass off, so they feel guilty. And it mostly works, but they are still the laziest people I have ever seen.

There is no future.

ITT

FB_IMG_1635421739295.jpg

I love working from home and tbh i push myself more at home than i do in office.

I'm way more strict to myself at home.

WFH is fucking stupid. You won't punish yourself. I get that its nice and fun. But, it is terrible for work and the economy.

That's a terribly dramatic article and is from "the dark side". The world of "us vs them". The world of hate and division.

A single boomer can wake up and start a new company by noon. They can have the shell up and running by the afternoon. They can be generating revenue by the evening. On day two, they are already getting offers. They can sell to "an investment firm" or other company and watch it collapse or disappear within the week and do it over and over.*

A common Trench Newber that won't listen and learn can't quite figure out what's going on. They won't stop thinking they run the show long enough to learn the reality of the corporate landscape. But, some do. Some want to learn and they find that the price of admission is simply working hard and paying attention. These are the ones that the torches get passed to. And, on that trip they also learn that if you work hard enough, there is no time for anxiety. Anxiety is best saved for after you die.

*Timeline exaggerated for dramatic purposes ;)

Last edited:
hey check it ppl who grew up with the internet after it was destroyed are retarded. idiocracy is 10 years away tops lmao

a Gen Z worker questioned why she would be expected to clock in for a standard eight-hour day when she might get through her to-do list by the afternoon.

I would love it if someone who reported to me said that.

They would be amazed at how large their 'to do' list suddenly became.

Back