T:V to have dolby surround sound?

Marweas said:
I don't think so, but I will find out for sure.

Any word yet? I don't think it's must have, but it would be cool to utilize my surround sound speakers with an awesome game..............

5.1 is by far better than headphones...

Gives your whole room a feel of whatever is going on

It's all like SHPLAM POW POOM BOWOOOWBONK

Headphones is just like zip zap bang

Nothing like hearing a slightly off disc fly by one ear and past the other, then explode in the distance. It's really sexy.

MaD_ReBeL said:
thanks for telling me what to do. got any stock tips? how should i dress? what should i eat? how can i be more like you?

headphones do not replace true positional sound. you cant emulate positional audio as well as you can reproduce it in a true 5.1 setup.

i have both high quality headphones (HD-600s) and high quality 5.1 positional audio. i prefer 5.1 positional audio as it just sounds better.

Most Wrong statement of 2003. When audio is properly processed for headphones, it will give you the mode accurate positional reproduction possible. There is no equal. I've seen people turn around to join non-existent conversations that were accidentially recorded and they actually believed the conversation was actually happening behind them in real-time. In fact, they sometime wonder where the people went instead of realizing it was on the recording.

I'll try to explain by an analogy most can visualize. Imagine trying to create a visual Virtual Reality environment. Which would give you a more realistic VR experience.
1) Two video screens, one in front of each eye, or (only 2-channels)
2) 6 big video screens positioned above, below, left, right, front, and back of you forming a big box with a picture on each side? (6-channels, it must be better :/)

The first case represents the potential of headphones the second case is like 5.1 or 6.1. This is a rough analogy

Unfortunately its only a potential since sound often isn't optimized properly for headphones and hence, you don't get the effect.

Last edited:
NutWager said:
Most Wrong statement of 2003. When audio is properly processed for headphones, it will give you the mode accurate positional reproduction possible. There is no equal. I've seen people turn around to join non-existent conversations that were accidentially recorded and they actually believed the conversation was actually happening behind them in real-time. In fact, they sometime wonder where the people went instead of realizing it was on the recording.

I'll try to explain by an analogy most can visualize. Imagine trying to create a visual Virtual Reality environment. Which would give you a more realistic VR experience.
1) Two video screens, one in front of each eye, or (only 2-channels)
2) 6 big video screens positioned above, below, left, right, front, and back of you forming a big box with a picture on each side? (6-channels, it must be better :/)

The first case represents the potential of headphones the second case is like 5.1 or 6.1. This is a rough analogy

Unfortunately its only a potential since sound often isn't optimized properly for headphones and hence, you don't get the effect.
the one fatal flaw in your theory is that light travels in a straight line sound travels in waves.

a quality 5.1 setup cannot be beaten by headphones. its just cant.

MaD_ReBeL said:
the one fatal flaw in your theory is that light travels in a straight line sound travels in waves.

a quality 5.1 setup cannot be beaten by headphones. its just cant.

Wrong.

Your sense of 3 dimensions comes entirely from two things.
1) sound differences between each ear. The brain will analyze the difference in amplitude and phase (or delay) between what it assumes is the same sound source.
2) perceived frequency content changes as a sound source changes positions. The naraled looking ridges in your ear serve a purpose and its not to act like a funnel for amplifying sound. They actually establish cancellation/reinforcement waves just in front of your ear canal depending on the direction of the sound source (primarily the vertical sense). Depending on the angle a sound source makes with your head, its frequency content changes relative to what your brain is expecting.

With some processing both effects of 1 & 2 can be duplicated with a soundcard or a little CPU time and pumped directly to each ear canal.

Like someone said earlier all sound waves going to your head are reduced to two channels, one in each ear canal.

Its much easier to garauntee the proper mix of amplitude/phase with headphones than a speaker setup. In theory you might be able to reproduce it with several speakers. But they would have to be placed perfectly (I mean dead nuts accurate) with the same sound environment they were developed in which is likely an empty room with walls of a specific absorbsion. All the speakers have to be of superior quality or equal quality to the headphones since all the speakers have to be properly phased matched and have great or atleast matched amplitude response. This is much cheaper and easier to achieve for headphones and you don't have to recreate an idea sound room for the sound to work correctly.

People suck.

People have the perception that more channels, more hardware, & more money means they're getting a better experience. This perception is jumped on by soundcard manufacturers and gamemakers.

Meanwhile the best possible effect can be achieved with headphones, but like I said this requires some processing not unlike the processing to create the seperate channels for 5.1 and which is negligible on today's machines. Unfortunately this is left underdeveloped because of marketing tags like 5.1, 7.1 etc grab attention. Switching you speakers to headphones in your EAX settings helps, but Creative is busy developing cards for 7.1 instead of better headphone performance.
:(

So now I'd have to spend a bunch of money on several speakers, give them appropriate placement and clear out all the crap around my machine so I can approximate the same thing I could get with a decent set of headphones and almost no disruption to room my PC is in.

it's all about the bass for me. headphones are great and all, but I love that thumping sensation in my chest that my z-560 provides :D

I remember seeing a demo of a soundcard , where you put on headphones....and then stuff would happen around you...and it would sound as if it was behind you, in front of you, to the sides and inbetween.

with all the processing power of computers and soundcards these days, you think it would be possible to duplicate it in headphones.

Got Haggis? said:
I remember seeing a demo of a soundcard , where you put on headphones....and then stuff would happen around you...and it would sound as if it was behind you, in front of you, to the sides and inbetween.

with all the processing power of computers and soundcards these days, you think it would be possible to duplicate it in headphones.
nutwager said it is possible, 3 posts ago ;p

Until I grow another 3.1 ears I'll stick with headphones for quality...

Dolby isn't some scientific standards organization. They're a company. They want to make money. Know how? By certifying speakers. When they make a new standard by adding another speaker, they aren't trying to improve sound quality. They're doing two things: making noise pollution and making money.

There's nothing wrong with mixing say a subwoofer with headphones. The really low frequency stuff isn't really that responsible for the 3D spacial effect. If you had and equalizer for both, turn down the low end to the headphones and turn down all but the low end for the speaker(s).

Back