T:V to have dolby surround sound?

Ixiterra said:
Not just 5.1 sound, 5.1 Dolby DIGITAL sound!! Meaning <1% of computer users. Making this a highly sought after addition. But mAd_rEbEl wants it, so let's do it for his sake!
you would be surprised how many sound cards can do dolby digital. plus doom3 will do all the hard work pushing dolby since carmack has already stated they will support dolby as well as raved about how great it sounds. all T:V would need to do is ride the trend.
Actually I think 4 speaker support would be just dandy and apply to a significantly larger group of people, without seriously diminishing that oh-so-wonderful DD quality.
all it takes is DD support. you dont support DD but only 4 speakers. your sound card or whatever powers your speakers handles the rest i think.

MaD_ReBeL said:
all it takes is DD support. you dont support DD but only 4 speakers. your sound card or whatever powers your speakers handles the rest i think.

My point is very few people have computer speakers that will do DD. Not saying it isn't something that should eventually be standard, but if the devs are going to have to spend extra time developing support for it, it's not really worth it.

Ixiterra said:
My point is very few people have computer speakers that will do DD. Not saying it isn't something that should eventually be standard, but if the devs are going to have to spend extra time developing support for it, it's not really worth it.
what are you basing this assumption off? clearly 5.1 systems sell well otherwise they wouldnt stock them as abundantly as they do. same thing applies to sound cards.

also dont forget that dev teams arent made up of 3 guys. im sure they have an audio guy that probably doesnt have much to do with gameplay. i could be wrong though.

No real point to it i say. 5.1 may be selling yes, but from what i've seen so far from others who have bought speakers (like me), they only use 2 speakers of the 4 or 5 because of lack of room, or the room is so full of stuff that it just sounds terrible in comparison.

Sure they have many devs for the team, but audio would still have to be tested like everything else in the T:V project. Different sound drivers tested with different speakers and differnet sound cards, and that takes time, and time is money :(

Sir Lucius said:
you only have 2 ears, everything else can be emulated.

No, it can't.

Three things that won't be emulated by headphones:

1. Omnidirectional vibrational "hearing". AKA, the kick of bass even the blind people can "hear".

2. Rotational perception, AKA the capability to turn your head while the sound stage remains stable and removed from the shifting of your ears. This can't be emulated with headphones because headphones don't know when you tilt, turn and roll your skull. Thankfully, speakers don't have to know.

3. Distance sense. While you might THINK it is easy to emulate this with two speakers, it is much easier to emulate with four. The reason being the ear is used to picking up a mess of white noise along with the main wavefront - and this helps determine distance. The noise bounces off of walls, tables, floors, you, and everything else, creating a background sound that humans like and utilize. Speakers behind you create better behind you noises than speakers next to your ears.

Lastly, unlike headphones, surround speakers don't have physical crossover problems (like when sound jumps along the bridge from one muff to the other), only electronic ones.

Does that explain it Lucius?

}x{ Dragon said:
Sure they have many devs for the team, but audio would still have to be tested like everything else in the T:V project. Different sound drivers tested with different speakers and differnet sound cards, and that takes time, and time is money :(
sounds drivers have to be tested regardless.

I have got 4 speakers but can only use 2 due to the fact that I dont have a surround sound sound card, or a PCI Im just using integrated.

Personally , I like my speakers and I have a subwoofer on the desk so it rumbles when I fly....... and thats effin awsome. I get totally immersed cuz I play for hours on end and I totally zone out and have all lights off.

By immersing myself I mean having my freind set up his computer on my TV (old flat wodden TV) and we play in my living room sharing my cable. ANd yelling and screaming and having a good time.

Ya 5.1 would be cool.

}x{ Dragon said:
No real point to it i say. 5.1 may be selling yes, but from what i've seen so far from others who have bought speakers (like me), they only use 2 speakers of the 4 or 5 because of lack of room, or the room is so full of stuff that it just sounds terrible in comparison.

I use all 5 DraGonZ u SUx!!

Zoolooman said:
1. Omnidirectional vibrational "hearing". AKA, the kick of bass even the blind people can "hear".

You mean deaf people... right?

I hope blind people can still hear...

I prefer headphones when it comes to gaming myself.
1. I live in a Mobile Home and play late at night. My mom is asleep and mobile home walls are thin as shit, so playing with speakers is bad
2. I feel much more immersed when I put on headphones, especially when it's a nice pair of headphones, like those surround sound ones at xoxide.com. (expensive as hell: 60$)
3. Don't have much space for speakers, so headphones are the more conservative choice.
4. Headphones are a lot cheaper than a good set of speakers.

This is only my opinion, so no need to get all riled up over something that is opinionated.

Sometimes I put headphones on BACKWARDS and the sounds are on the wrong sides.. heh, I DO figure it out though, and switch it around.. Just funny, it happens about once a month..

4 Speakers are kinda hard to do in a computer room. Typcially they aren't setup for that kinda thing. A buddy of mine had 4 speaker system.. Was cool, but the speaker stands went behind the chair, got in the way, cords.. he never uses them anymore.. (2 only).

Reverend Zero said:
I prefer headphones when it comes to gaming myself.
1. I live in a Mobile Home and play late at night. My mom is asleep and mobile home walls are thin as shit, so playing with speakers is bad
2. I feel much more immersed when I put on headphones, especially when it's a nice pair of headphones, like those surround sound ones at xoxide.com. (expensive as hell: 60$)
3. Don't have much space for speakers, so headphones are the more conservative choice.
4. Headphones are a lot cheaper than a good set of speakers.

This is only my opinion, so no need to get all riled up over something that is opinionated.

I agree, they have algorithms (math equations) that can place sound in headphones so it will sound like surround sound. Although it is true they they cant replace the 5.1 experiance, they do the job quite well(besides most people with " un trained ears" wont be able to really tell the difference). Im a Dj (vinyl) so i have a nice pair of sony dm 700 (nice DJ style head phones with HUGH diaphragms in them(they can make your jaw and teeth vibrate). I also have my nice DJ system hooked up wiht my computer (2 CV 152's 15 inch cabs with a 800 watt QSC amp) and yet i perfer playing most computer games with my headphones, too me it just sounds better. That what it really comes down too , " what sounds the best to you" !

MaD_ReBeL said:
how d you know what sounds better when you've never heard a game with true 5.1 sound?
Well your right, i do not own a game that has true 5.1 sound, when one comes out , i will try it out ( both wiht my headphones and my 5.1 home theater system). That last Post was in refrence to the games/movies I currently own. Sometimes late at night i will want to watch a movie , seeing as i live in a tri plex i dont wanna piss off my neighboors buy bumping my 5.1 system downstairs in the living room, so I go upstairs and watch it on my computer with headphones, yes you dont hear/feel the rumble of a 5.1 system, but as for sound placement in a 360 degree area , it does a pretty damm god job at it.

P.S. last night i was playing T1 with headphones on , and i swear when people were trying to MA me i heard there disk sound fly from my right ear to my left , or vice versa depending on where it was comming from. that in it's self was pretty nice, just imagine with TRUE DD 5.1 support you will be able to not only hear the disk go flying past your head from right to left, but also front to back.

Back