T:V to have dolby surround sound?

Half-Wit said:
just imagine with TRUE DD 5.1 support you will be able to not only hear the disk go flying past your head from right to left, but also front to back.
with some decent doppler you could simulate altitude differences too :D

Half-Wit said:
P.S. last night i was playing T1 with headphones on , and i swear when people were trying to MA me i heard there disk sound fly from my right ear to my left , or vice versa depending on where it was comming from. that in it's self was pretty nice, just imagine with TRUE DD 5.1 support you will be able to not only hear the disk go flying past your head from right to left, but also front to back.

You can do that with 4.1 too buddy. ;)

MaD_ReBeL said:
with some decent doppler you could simulate altitude differences too :D
Ahh yes that would be very sweet :)

Its funny (im refering to films and Telivision here) that when you ask a person what they think is more important Video or Audio most people would say video is most important. This is un-true in the film and T.V. industry. Without audio "MOST" video wouldn't make any sense. So im sure this could also describe the video game industry. (im sure we have all tried to play tribes at one time or another with out sound , its sucks hard core right ?) So i think sooner or later 5.1 or 6.1 , or 7.1 will become the new standard for video games. Just my opinion though. ;)

audio always seems to get shunned. its sad too really good audio is so pimp nasty. computers have suffered through craptastic sound for way to long. doom3 will be the first game with really kick ass audio. IMO EAX just doesnt cut it, or maybe nobody has properly coded for EAX who knows.

Ixiterra said:
You can do that with 4.1 too buddy. ;)
this is true, but how often do you find a demand for 4.1 ? not very often, besides is there any things actually coded for 4.1 sound ? I know quadraphonic sound was popular in the 70s and 80's .

*edit* quadraphonic sound and 4.1 are very different

Half-Wit said:
this is true, but how often do you find a demand for 4.1 ? not very often, besides is there any things actually coded for 4.1 sound ? I know quadraphonic sound was popular in the 70s and 80's .

*edit* quadraphonic sound and 4.1 are very different
Jesus christ man, make a fucking sensible argument.

FOUR POINT ONE, TWO SPEAKERS (LEFT/RIGHT) IN FRONT, TWO SPEAKERS (LEFT/RIGHT) IN REAR, AND A SUB-WOOFER. NOTHING COULD EVER POSSIBLY USE THOSE TWO REAR SPEAKERS, ESPECIALLY NOT A 5.1 SETUP. 5.1 IS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT FROM 4.1, MAKING 4.1 USELESS.

Your god damn idiocy makes me want to bash my head into this fucking 21" monitor.

You can emulate the center channel on a good 4.1 system.

Center channel is pretty good for film, but I wonder what you'd use it for in a game?

Maybe musical score/voices coming from the center channel and directional sounds coming from the satellites?

Zoolooman said:

Center channel is pretty good for film, but I wonder what you'd use it for in a game?

Maybe musical score/voices coming from the center channel and directional sounds coming from the satellites?
That would be my guess, have the voice commands and all the voice come out of the center channel(its mostly used in the film industry for just talking) and have the sound effects ( weather , gun sounds , people walking , ect...) come out of the other channels as they fit. I never played tribes 2 but i heard that the shocklance was lame when some one snuck up behind you, maybe with 5.1 you would be able to HEAR the person's footsteps behind you.

Last edited:
Ixiterra said:
NOTHING COULD EVER POSSIBLY USE THOSE TWO REAR SPEAKERS, ESPECIALLY NOT A 5.1 SETUP. 5.1
Huh ? once again my "idiotcy" is not being able to understand wwtf that is suppose to mean , nothing could ever possible use thoes 2 speakers ? then why are they there ?

Half-Wit said:
That would be my guese, have the voice commands and all the voice come out of the center channel(its mostly used in the film industry for just talking) and have the sound effects ( weather , gun sounds , people walking , ect...) come out of the other channels as they fit. I never played tribes 2 but i heard that the shocklance was lame when some one snuck up behind you, maybe with 5.1 you would be able to HEAR the person's footsteps behind you.
Dude, games have been able to do that since 1997. Where the fuck have you been?

Ixiterra said:
Dude, games have been able to do that since 1997. Where the fuck have you been?
Yes they have been able to do that , but our discussion here is about Dolby Digital 5.1 , many games have been " surround capable" but none yet have been encoded in 5.1.

*edit* they have games out that emulate 5.1 , but there are no true 5.1 encoded games yes. (i thought the new star wars game would have been , but its not)

Are you sure? I wouldn't be surprised if HALO for the X-Box wasn't 5.1 DD, considering it sounded blindingly awesome on the surround system...

Actually, now that I think about it though, the directional sense was quite awful. It didn't doppler, or do anything like that, so you didn't get a good sense of a sound environment.

Zoolooman said:
Are you sure? I wouldn't be surprised if HALO for the X-Box wasn't 5.1 DD, considering it sounded blindingly awesome on the surround system...

Actually, now that I think about it though, the directional sense was quite awful. It didn't doppler, or do anything like that, so you didn't get a good sense of a sound environment.

Umm im not sure , as in seeing that i dont own an X-box. Im sure its DD 5.1 capable, i dont knwo though i would have to read teh specs on it. Does it have a digital audio out ? Also it would say on the front of the game ( just like it does on DVD's) Dolby Digital

Half-Wit said:
Yes they have been able to do that , but our discussion here is about Dolby Digital 5.1 , many games have been " surround capable" but none yet have been encoded in 5.1.

*edit* they have games out that emulate 5.1 , but there are no true 5.1 encoded games yes. (i thought the new star wars game would have been , but its not)
SO WHAT? How important is Dolby Digital to a friggen video game? You suggest them being compatible with 7.1 later on, yet you completely dismiss 4.1 because there's "no support." Then you go on to talk about how it would be cool to hear someone sneak up behind you when you can ALREADY DO THAT WITHOUT DOLBY DIGITAL OR a 5.1 setup.

You are so frustratingly stupid that I can't talk to you anymore or I might have an aneurysm.

Ixiterra said:
SO WHAT? How important is Dolby Digital to a friggen video game? You suggest them being compatible with 7.1 later on, yet you completely dismiss 4.1 because there's "no support." Then you go on to talk about how it would be cool to hear someone sneak up behind you when you can ALREADY DO THAT WITHOUT DOLBY DIGITAL OR a 5.1 setup.

You are so frustratingly stupid that I can't talk to you anymore or I might have an aneurysm.

This is true, i didnt completely dismiss 4.1 , its just old technology , that it all i basically said. You can hear some one sneak up behind you with head phones on too , so that is not really the point. It's not A BIG FUCKING deal if a game dosent have 5.1 , in fact to most people they dont even care, and in the small percent of people that do care , they probally couldnt even tell you if a game was DD 5.1 , or emulated surround. So your right its not a big deal, it would just be nice to have for us audiophiles out there. ;)

Zoolooman said:

i would think that your weapon sound should always ceom from the center seeing as its always pointing in front of you :D

MaD_ReBeL said:
i would think that your weapon sound should always ceom from the center seeing as its always pointing in front of you :D

Oh yes! So center channel pumps out:

1. Voices.
2. Score.
3. Firing sounds of your weapon(s).
4. Reloading/ambient sounds of your weapon(s).

The rear channels combine to output...

1. Jetpack noises.
2. Pack activation noises.

The rest of the front channels/rear channels should be used for directional effects, including emulation of distance/elevation/angle.

The sub should, of course, underscore anything that needs bass. :]

Btw, I wasn't trying to be malacious, I was just looking for an argument.

What's so special about DD encoding over whatever they use now?
What about THX, DTS, etc? What are the differnces?

Sir Lucius said:
Btw, I wasn't trying to be malacious, I was just looking for an argument.

What's so special about DD encoding over whatever they use now?
What about THX, DTS, etc? What are the differnces?
THX from what i understand is more of a quality specification, honestly i dont know much about THX.

DTS and Dolby Digital are both competing sound standards. Audibly i dont notice a huge difference. DTS however can do discreete 6.1 which if you have a 6.1 setup and gladiator on DVD you know what i mean when i say movie theaters got nothing on my home audio setup (they have more volume thats bout it). discrete 6.1 sounds really friggin good.

Dolby and or DTS vs EAX and Direct Sound really comes down to this. Dolby and DTS are standards in the movie industry. Sound engineers who spend millions of dollars on hardware to do their work created Dolby and DTS. The entertainment industry recognized a long time ago how powerful kick ass audio really is, its their bread and butter. EAX was created by a 2 bit hack of an audio company that specializes in second rate hardware with terrible drivers. the one saving grace is EAX HD(eax3 bascally) from what i understand incorporates some of aureal's A3D which was in fact pretty good. in case you dont know, creative bought aureal for a song after they did everything they could to kill the competition. Direct Sound was obviously created by microsoft. microsoft makes operating systems and other various software as im sure youre well aware.

Neither creative nor microsoft are audio professionals, the folks behind Dolby and DTS are in fact audio professionals. I cant speak to the low level technical plusses and minuses regarding the 4 above mentioned sound options but EAX and DirectSound are nothing compared to dolby and DTS in terms of sound quality.

Back