Super Awesome Board and Card Game Thread(tm)

samuelk

Veteran XV
So, I'm not talking about Monopoly or Candyland* or Old Maid and shit like that.

I'm talking the really geeky stuff, like Merchants and Marauders, Cards against Humanity and Kemet.

So does anyone here also play board games that have 20 page rule books?

My current favorites:

Merchants & Marauders - Caribbean Naval/Pirate ship board game that has a lot in common with, oddly enough, the latest Assassin's Creed. Has some ingenious ship battle and trading mechanics. You can be a trader and earn points by buying and selling goods, or you can become a pirate, and hunt down other players.
5a866fe2f7c811e2b092f23c91709c91_1375045065.jpg

Kemet - Crazy egyptian PvP game that very cleverly uses [strike]three[/strike]four-sided dice as Pyramids that you can level up to acquire powers.
kemet.jpg

Firefly The Game - Similarities to Merchants & Marauders, but takes place in the Firefly universe -- it's a game that oozes atmosphere. Made by Gale Force 9 - a group of people who you can tell really loved the TV show.
Vamers-FYI-Traditional-Gaming-Get-Ready-to-Explore-the-Verse-with-Firefly-The-Board-Game-The-Board-in-Motion.jpg

Boss Monster - A Unique card game in which players take the role of a video game end-level boss who builds a dungeon in an attempt to lure adventurers to their deaths and collect their souls. Easily mistaken for a licensed Nintendo product on first glance.
14a1_boss_monster_dungeon_building_card_game_parts.jpg

*ok, so Candyland is pretty tight.

Last edited:
wats the point of board games when you have video games

Show me a licensed Firefly video game, and we can talk. :D

Also, board games can be played with 3 or 4 people together and are hella fun.

Also, Cards Against Humanity. No video game is as funny as that.

fuck man

i got tons
well my brother does

boss monster looks pretty funny :lol:
check out small world

Game of Thrones.

My personal favorite of my collection. No dice determine an outcome of anything in the game. It's all negotiations, bluffing, planning and straight up strategery that decides the outcome of player interactions. Crazy good game when played with a full house of 6 players.

original.jpg

I am 36 years old and in the last 15 years I must have played 2 games of monopoly and a couple of Trivial Pursuit...

The ship games sounds interesting.

Game of Thrones.

My personal favorite of my collection. No dice determine an outcome of anything in the game. It's all negotiations, bluffing, planning and straight up strategery that decides the outcome of player interactions. Crazy good game when played with a full house of 6 players.

original.jpg

Have it, played it once, realized after we were playing it wrong. Also lost an order piece =| Seemed like a good game, just haven't gotten around to trying it again.

Game of Thrones.

original.jpg

i played that with three players
it made me real nervous to even try with 6

its like diplomacy on meth

try argicola as well, fun infuriating game

Agricola is one that my wife is really interested in.

I think Settlers of Catan was a gateway game for Agricola. :)

Also, Ticket to Ride is a fun game for people who want to get into playing the more complex games. Simple, short and fun.

City of Horror is a good zombie board game that is a lot like a board game version of Left 4 Dead in theme, but has some great PvP-ish mechanics.

Players play mulitple survivors as zombies swarm into a town. There's a limit to how many players can occupy a given building...if the number of zombies outside the biulding is greater than the number of survivors inside, the survivors have to either try killing a zombie, or vote on which survivor they want to throw outside to the horde.

Some great moments playing that game.

pic1342918.jpg.jpg

Last edited:
I liked Ticket to Ride.

Bang! is a card game that's great for groups. It's based on a Spaghetti Western "high noon" gun fight. 1 player takes the role of the "Marshall", some players are "Outlaws", a few are "Deputies" and the remaining player is a "Renegade".

The Outlaws are trying to kill the Marshall, the Marshall is trying to kill the Outlaws, the Deputies protect the Marshall and the Renegade simply wants to be the last man standing, with everyone else dead.

The catch? No one knows the identities or roles of any of the other players, except for the player playing the Marshall.

dvg_bangthebullet.jpg

firefly game and boss monster look awesome

but i don't really play board games ;/

Some warnings about the Firefly game:

- Games can be long. 3 hours isn't uncommon.
- Needs a LOT of space. Besides the game board, each player has a ship card that's like 4 x 7 inches with spaces along the side to add ship enhancements, then there are more than 10 decks of cards plus paper money. It's a space hog.

Other good "group" games:

Werewolf
Reistance: Avalon

Both are card-based game where players have secret identities, and a lot of bluffing is involved.

Back