[Suggestions?] Tablet for school

I haven't had too much trouble finding apps for what I want to do on the Surface so far, and it seems like the store is growing crazy fast. Most apps that work on Windows 8 that are worthwhile seem to be setup to work on the RT stuff as well.

Tablets are best at consuming content. That means they're great for reading emails, watching movies, playing games and surfing the web.

However, when it comes to creating content, then their weaknesses appear. They are bad for handling and editing documents, you would not want to take notes on them, write your reports or use them to collect data into spreadsheets (ect).

A laptop is still better at this. New Ultrabooks maintain the potential of a full size laptop, but without giving up the desirable portability that comes with a tablets convenient form factor.

They are also, expensive investments and thus a liability to tote around a school all day.... the risk of damage or theft necessitates more care is needed to protect them.

At the end of the day, paper/pencil optiosn may be old fashioned, but they're cheap and reliable. If you don't like the idea of transcribing notes from your lectures... consider getting one of those Micro Voice Recorders and simply recording your lectures to tape/memory card. You can then transcribe your notes from the playback to paper or a computer at your leisure.

Tablets are best at consuming content. That means they're great for reading emails, watching movies, playing games and surfing the web.

However, when it comes to creating content, then their weaknesses appear. They are bad for handling and editing documents, you would not want to take notes on them, write your reports or use them to collect data into spreadsheets (ect).

A laptop is still better at this. New Ultrabooks maintain the potential of a full size laptop, but without giving up the desirable portability that comes with a tablets convenient form factor.

They are also, expensive investments and thus a liability to tote around a school all day.... the risk of damage or theft necessitates more care is needed to protect them.

At the end of the day, paper/pencil optiosn may be old fashioned, but they're cheap and reliable. If you don't like the idea of transcribing notes from your lectures... consider getting one of those Micro Voice Recorders and simply recording your lectures to tape/memory card. You can then transcribe your notes from the playback to paper or a computer at your leisure.

I agree with you for the most part, but the Surface is running full office and it works just like on a desktop. You can write papers on it and such totally fine, and you can always use a USB or bluetooth Keyboard/mouse if you'd like to have a bit more comfortable typing experience.

Unless you absolutely need x86 stuff to do your school work, it manages quite well.

Last edited:
When they get Stylus writing down to a science where you can write notes as you would on paper, along with utilizing diagrams and scribbles is when the tablet will become fantastic for school.

As it is right now it's nothing more than a diversion unless you use it for text books, and even then the ones I've seen pages are often different than what the paper version is, making teacher assigning page readings a pain in the ass and you lose a lot of visual content and the ability to (easily) highlight things.

On a related note, our College (4yr state) actually requires that you get a laptop from them, you're forced to make the payment as part of your tuition, you only lease it for 500 a semester. They upgrade them every 2 or so years and you're given the option to "buy" the thing from them when you graduate for an extra 500... it's a pretty awful joke

A win8 tab (you could do rt or wait a bit for the pro) would be the only kind to consider for actually doing schoolwork. If you just wanna fb and youtube in class get whatever you can find for a good price bc they're all gonna be the same.

Ashley has both a 17" HP laptop (her main computer to this day), and an HP netbook she took to class. So my advice is to get TWO devices. Get a nice laptop that will be your base computer for the next 4 years, and the tablet with keyboard for notes. She didn't really use the netbook that much. I think most of the notes were online, and it came down to brute force memorization. Going to the practice exam places and getting a private tutor will be more important. Once you reach the biology classes, it comes down to memorization and study groups.

The whole point of having a tablet for school is to demonstrate to everyone else in the class that you have an awesome tablet. As such, features are completely inconsequential to the discussion. Stick to the most popular brand, and get the most expensive and latest version of that brand. In this case it is the iPad. You really don't want other students to think less of you for showing up with an unpopular brand.

Wife was given the TF700T and docking station for xmas from her boss. The screen and battery life is top notch, but Android still has some quirks that make the user experience painful.

I would stick to an ultrabook if it were me.

Ashley has both a 17" HP laptop (her main computer to this day), and an HP netbook she took to class. So my advice is to get TWO devices. Get a nice laptop that will be your base computer for the next 4 years, and the tablet with keyboard for notes. She didn't really use the netbook that much. I think most of the notes were online, and it came down to brute force memorization. Going to the practice exam places and getting a private tutor will be more important. Once you reach the biology classes, it comes down to memorization and study groups.
i love ashley stories

you can tell hes really proud of her but his stories just make her seem bag of hammers dumb

you can tell hes really proud of her but his stories just make her seem bag of hammers dumb
Thanks. Not dumb, it's just we don't have photographic memories. The weed out classes did me in. Had a chip on my shoulder about that. Yes, I am proud. Just made a graduation video, a lot of work went into this.
I shot the video, the BF shot the pictures with the Canon 20D and zoom lens, and I edited it all together with Vegas.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXlk0Ib-YLI&feature=endscreen&NR=1

Thanks. Not dumb, it's just we don't have photographic memories. The weed out classes did me in. Had a chip on my shoulder about that. Yes, I am proud. Just made a graduation video, a lot of work went into this.
I shot the video, the BF shot the pictures with the Canon 20D and zoom lens, and I edited it all together with Vegas.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXlk0Ib-YLI&feature=endscreen&NR=1

Nobody cares about your shitty life or stupid daughter, keep this shit on your Myspace.

And your daughter needs to lose some weight, she's fat.

Back