so what is considered "official" american food

PinkTacos said:
Turkey hadnt?
I mean theres a country named after it.
I realize you're being funny, but I don't believe "Turkey" the country was established until many years after the first thanksgiving (ottoman empire until 1920s?)

American food is:

Hambergers,
Dogs,
American Pizza (NY, Chicago pizza)
BBQ,
Creole (gumbo, jambalaya),
probably things like grits,

what's the story with bagels? when'd the jewish community come up with those?

General Tso's chicken. I'm serious, I can't find any Chinese restaurants that sell it in Australia. Maybe it has another name here. Just thinking about it now I have not had it since I was in the US in 2001, somebody help me.

I'd have to say, of all the things suggested (other than the 'fast food' crud), 'cajun' is about the only one I'd agree with as being American.

We've got a similar problem here in Australia, there's really not a whole lot of 'local' dishes. I mean, there's the local wildlife - Kangaroo, Crocodile, Emu, etc.. but that doesn't really count. I think what Australia is building a reputation for in the cuisine department is the merging and enhancing of a lot of different styles, blending european and asian as well as adding that local meat/seafood element to it..

But the same goes for any 'new' country.. finding something to truly call your own (that's not just superficial) can be tricky.

potato chips, hamburgers, pizza, fried chicken, breakfast cereal

Pizza has been Americanized to the point it could be considered an American food. Kellogg invinted the modern breakfast cereal.

RetroHelix said:
I think the meat patty part of it came from there, but the bun was added here.

so thats it... thats the rule.

add a bun to it... and its american food! :)

Back