so what is considered "official" american food

Although the name "hamburger" might lead you to believe it was invented in Germany, it is actually an American invention. The origin is disputed, but we know it appeared in America long before it appeared anywhere else. Thank you, FoodTV ;p

From what I've heard BBQ as we know it originated from slaves who ate the scraps of butchered livestock of white slave masters.

So they dressed it up with what they could ala BBQ

-{KZ}- said:
What are freedom fries?

We call them that because we dont want to call them french fries because the fucking french are a bunch of pansy ass pussies who are fucking gay

Quality meat wraps existed for many years all over Europe ...

leave it to America to take all the meat parts you're not supposed to eat, grind them in to indescernable pulp, and call it a Hot Dog.

Arent Hamburgers from Hamburg Germany or was that just a stupid thing i heard once? I think american food would be stuff found here, not stuff that people brought over here from europe so pizza and shit is out.
Id have to toss corn out there since it was what people used to eat.
What else did injuns eat?

Turkey and Potatoes.. isnt that it as far as North American Continent food goes, that didnt exist elsewhere first?

To the outside world, I think the majority of your memorable exports are fast food, particularly from the large corporations (ie McDonalds, Burger King, KFC etc). Turkey is just another bird (and we don't do Thanksgiving, for obvious reasons), pizza is considered Italian, fries are belgian or french, and everyone forgets that potatoes havent been around since the dawn of time, since they're such a staple element of most people's diets.

I'd never eaten Cajun food before I went to the US. I've never even seen a Cajun restaurant or fast food place in the UK, come to think of it. A couple of the supermarkets here do microwave meals which bear a passing resemblance, but that's about it.

american pizza is american...italian pizza is a whole different thing. there are special laws in italy about pizza...seriously.

Back