so i just started reading wheel of time

Why are people treating Martin and Jordan like they're mutually exclusive? Read WoT, then read ASoIaF, and enjoy both of them. They're well worth reading through.

Then, if you like Sci-fi, read Peter F. Hamilton's Commonwealth series. #1 series in my book

The Night's Dawn series?

Or one of the other, newer series of his?

I have book one of the WoT but for some reason I just can't get myself to start reading it. Not sure why. Maybe because of all the negative things I've heard later on in the series.

I read the War of the Spider Queen series a little while ago. Standard Forgotten Realms fantasy stuff, but I thought they were very well done. Each book is written by someone different though they are overseen by R.A. Salvatore. Excellent read though if you enjoy fantasy stuff.

Dark Tower is good stuff to whoever that was asking. Definitely worth picking up.

I bought The Last Days of Krypton last night, curious on that one. Only 5 bucks, thought I'd give it a shot.

The Jordan books become repetitive after the 2nd one and of course become WALLS of text.

David Eddings and Piers Anthony have always been my favorites.

Night's Dawn series is insane, but the ending is so deus ex machina it practically stands as the definition of the phrase.

As for fantasy, I give you SciFan: SF/Fantasy Series: Malazan Book of the Fallen - SF&F series in reading order or sorted by publication date

Read, wonder where it's going, but enjoy it anyway.

The universe that Hamilton created in the Night's Dawn series is one of the most vivid and exciting sci-fi universes to ever be created though.

The series definitely ended.....oddly and flatly.

Hamilton's military sci-fi stuff is a fun read. The former soldier turned PI/bodygaurd/whatever stuff is good pulp fiction.

The Jordan books become repetitive after the 2nd one and of course become WALLS of text.

Apprentice Adept series by Piers Anthony was awesome.. David Eddings two big 5 book series, while entertaining, were pretty much the same, but definitely worth the read.

WoT should be stopped by book 8, when
Spoiler
I haven't read any after that one..

There was a few redeeming things about the series after book one, namely everything that happens to Mat and Perrin...I thought the idea behind the Band of the Red Hand and The Wolves etc were all really interesting side stories, that being said the books did get repetitive after a while, and what I liked about the first few sort of dwindled out. Why have Rand be a swordmaster at all if later in the series everything revolves around balefire blalbalbla. whatever.

If you havent touched A Song of Ice and Fire, that's the series to read, George R. R. Martin is amazing at creating interesting characters, and the battles are amazing. Great series, IMO

Apprentice Adept series by Piers Anthony was awesome.. David Eddings two big 5 book series, while entertaining, were pretty much the same, but definitely worth the read.

WoT should be stopped by book 8, when
Spoiler
I haven't read any after that one..

Incarnations of Immortality by Piers was awesome as well.

Night's Dawn series is insane, but the ending is so deus ex machina it practically stands as the definition of the phrase.

As for fantasy, I give you SciFan: SF/Fantasy Series: Malazan Book of the Fallen - SF&F series in reading order or sorted by publication date

Read, wonder where it's going, but enjoy it anyway.

Yeah I actually didn't like the end of the Night's Dawn series, to be honest. Deus Ex Machina is always a cop-out ending in my book. Build this awesome universe, cool characters, fucked up plot scenario, and in the end say "I will solve this with the clever use of magic!" and end the series just like that. Laaaaaaaame!

Wait, you're calling Jordan "repetitive" and you like Eddings?! The man makes his living re-writing the Belgariad over and over and over! Read "Redemption of Althalus" and never touch Eddings again. Its a 1-book version of everything else he's ever written.
There was a few redeeming things about the series after book one, namely everything that happens to Mat and Perrin...I thought the idea behind the Band of the Red Hand and The Wolves etc were all really interesting side stories, that being said the books did get repetitive after a while, and what I liked about the first few sort of dwindled out. Why have Rand be a swordmaster at all if later in the series everything revolves around balefire blalbalbla. whatever.

If you havent touched A Song of Ice and Fire, that's the series to read, George R. R. Martin is amazing at creating interesting characters, and the battles are amazing. Great series, IMO

Exactly, what happens with Mat and Perrin are the best parts of WoT and ARE worth reading the series for. And to everyone who keeps saying "stop reading WoT, read Martin" what the fuck is wrong with reading both? I own both series, including a lot of 1st edition hardbacks, and find no reason to read one AND NOT the other. They're both great, both worth the time to read if you enjoy fantasy.

Mat is the only reason to keep reading WOT. Got SO FUCKING TIRED of him and the bald princess bullshit until the last book; oh hey, he got his balls back after like three fucking books. Sweet.

Mat is the only reason to keep reading WOT. Got SO FUCKING TIRED of him and the bald princess bullshit until the last book; oh hey, he got his balls back after like three fucking books. Sweet.

Tuon would have taken yours to the grave with her. :p:

HBO is picking up A Song of Ice and Fire supposedly, using the same production crew as Rome, and best of all they are planning to dedicate an entire season to a book - no 2 hour movie type shit.

Bacardi:
i have read more fantasy than i am comfortable mentioning.
the only two fantasy series i do not regret reading:

Song of Ice and Fire
Wheel of Time

The people in this thread know their shit. We arent jumping on a bandwagon man, I've been there, read that, and regret it all - except those 2.

I would also suggest A Song of Ice and Fire.

I read all of the 4 books that currently make up the series over the last 3 months or so. It was a little daunting at first; there is SO much to the world he creates that it overwhelms you through the first half of the first book, but it is well worth it. Such an engaging storyline. Now I can't wait for Dance of Dragons (next book) to come out.

Back