so i just started reading wheel of time

Bacardi

Veteran X
first off, i thought the first book was really good. that said, someone explain this to me:

the book seems to be about a bunch of young country boys, one smart one and his bumbling friends, who have to leave their home, chased by evil creatures and evil black horse riders. they are led by a strange magic wielder and a fallen king. their goal is to reach a great city far away. along the way, they are attacked, chased into cursed ruins, and eventually separated. the bumbling friends meet other allies and get their help. the magic wielder and fallen king attempts to find and reunite the group, and eventually meet back together at a great city. along their adventure, they are prevented from reaching their destination, and decide to go through an old path underground that has been closed off because it is now controlled by evil forces. finally, our heros reach the main evil that lives in mountains far away, and eventually defeat him.

serious? granted the book was good, but does jordan actually write something new in the next few books?

(i realize the series is ofn, and maybe even my post is ofn, but its new to me)

Jordan is dead now.

And you are setting yourself up for failure if you keep reading the series.

Once the bitches in book 5 or 6 start talking, you'll feel like you got fucked at a gay bar, it just goes on forever and you want to peel your eyeballs to make it stop.

Otherwise, there are some interesting ideas through the long series, but it always feels like it could have been settled about a book or three previously. It takes FOREVER for the real exciting battles and shit to develop, then they are over in a page and a half.

Oh, and the bitches. they start talking, and never stop.

Ohh and on a side note i just got my new book today.

:)

n256664.jpg

tricksey hobbitzes

oh right i almost forgot our heros are being chased by a pathetic person who used to be good but was caught and forced into evil by the main evil character.

i know he's dead but i just wanted to know if i should read the next 10 (11? whatever?) books in the series. i guess i wont rush. i read book 1 on a 10 hr plane ride, so i guess i'll wait till my next long flight.

Mabelrode is correct. Books 1-4 are excellent, 5-9 just fucking go on and on and on. You can skip pages and pages of the bitches talking and not miss a thing. Book 10 starts to pick up a little and book 11 is excellent. I'm quite concerned about the last one, being that Jordan is dead and all, but am looking forward to reading it just the same. Apparently he told family members exactly how it's supposed to end so we'll see.

The Wheel of Time series will make you hate women. I am serious, I have never read a series in my life that had such and endless showering of annoying bitches and pretentious hags. I honestly can't think of one single female in the entire series who isn't a colossal bitchtit except maybe one or two of the aies sedai or whatever chicks who belonged to whatever order was all about banging their bodyguard dudes.

but does jordan actually write something new in the next few books?

In following books you will learn a lot about tea time and bubble baths. you would think the bubble baths would be great. Who doesn't want to hear about young girls taking bubble baths? but no.

to read WoT the easy way, go to barns and noble and just read the last chapter of each book.

first off, i thought the first book was really good. that said, someone explain this to me:

the book seems to be about a bunch of young country boys, one smart one and his bumbling friends, who have to leave their home, chased by evil creatures and evil black horse riders. they are led by a strange magic wielder and a fallen king. their goal is to reach a great city far away. along the way, they are attacked, chased into cursed ruins, and eventually separated. the bumbling friends meet other allies and get their help. the magic wielder and fallen king attempts to find and reunite the group, and eventually meet back together at a great city. along their adventure, they are prevented from reaching their destination, and decide to go through an old path underground that has been closed off because it is now controlled by evil forces. finally, our heros reach the main evil that lives in mountains far away, and eventually defeat him.

serious? granted the book was good, but does jordan actually write something new in the next few books?

(i realize the series is ofn, and maybe even my post is ofn, but its new to me)

Jordan? Derivative? How can this be?

Seriously, just stop reading now. Save yourself the trouble.

Jordan DOES write female characters with incredible accuracy.

They never shut the fuck up, they are domineering nags and everyone wants to punch them in the face.

well that was an over simplification, almost all fantasy stories are going to sound very close to that. i recommend the series for the most part..

the only problems:
1. he's dead, and there are still 2-3 books left in the 13+ book story. supposedly someone else is going to take over, but idk
2. he kept on adding more and more characters and story and starts a million different plotlines but rarely finishes any of them. IMO all is well up until about book 8 or 9, so I'd recommend enjoying it

Yes, it starts out very pulp. Standard LOTR-style fantasy. But so what? Tons of fantasy authors do it, as long as you find an author you like what does it matter?

Jordan does do some awesome stuff IMO throughout the rest of the series, especially the first 4 and last 3 books. The middle books are harder to get through, as everyone has pointed out... but I think are a lot more entertaining if you're re-reading them than when you read them the first time.

I just finished re-reading the series again not too long ago and still very much enjoy it.

Brandon Sanderson has been picked to finish writing the final book. Jordan had it about 50% done when he died, and the rest was almost completely framed with notes/time-lines, so Sanderson is mostly piecing shit together and filling in some gaps. I've read his other stuff and he's a pretty damn good writer.

Back