[Sleeping Disorder] Anybody else suffer from sleep paralysis?

Wendy

Veteran XV
-For the lazies: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

Started experiencing it about 5-6 years ago. At first it was terrifying, but now I find it just rather annoying.

Typical episode lasts about 20-30 seconds for me.
Luckily mine don't ever include hallucinations, although typical sound/light distorted
Rarely drink alcohol, don't do drugs, aren't on meds
No, I don't have narcolepsy
My sleep schedule is about "irregular" as a typical college student
Occurs a very consistent 1-3 times a week.

Anybody else experience sleep paralysis? Not really complaining, it's hell of a lot safer than sleep walking.

happened to me two times in the last couple years.

Freaks me out cuz i cant breath and i think i'm gonna die. :D

I get this on occasion. It always follows the same nightmare, so I scream myself awake but I can't move. I do get the hallucinations though, but It only lasts a few minutes.

Yeah! The attacks where you can't breath are the absolute worst.

Sometimes though when I do get an attack and are breathing normally, I can still somehow force myself to hyperventilate until my body gains control again

had it when i was younger a few times, about 7-8 years ago, none since then - I'm 28 now

I've had it a couple of times in my life.
it's not that I can't breath, I find myself in an uncomfortable sleeping position but I can't move out of it

yeah, thought i was trippin' balls too

one event I woke up, knew I was in my room and was still trying to, trying to yell at someone to pull the cord on my chute, fucking weird

I think my worst attack was an early saturday morning, my neighbor was using their lawnmower on the side of the house

Yeah...imagine staring at a wall, and what sounds like 10,000 bees coming closer and closer on the opposite side, I was seriously going "WTF IS THAT...." in my head

It does happen to me.
However, if i force im able to "break" free of it.
It's like when your arm falls asleep and you cant move it, but if you try really hard to, you can move it, but with no control.
It's annoying.

i have never had sleep paralysis, or any type of major sleep disorder aside from a fucked up sleep schedule. i'm currently in the process of trying to go to bed by 1am at the latest. hasn't worked out so hot.

Thank you for this thread, I've been paranoid about this shit since I was a kid. Happens a few times a year for me. I've always asked other people if they have experienced this and no one has said yes. w000t!

Yeah! The attacks where you can't breath are the absolute worst.

Sometimes though when I do get an attack and are breathing normally, I can still somehow force myself to hyperventilate until my body gains control again

That is the best way to be as efficent as possible.

No, but I often get this thing where when I'm about to fall asleep and all of a sudden my entire body flinches and my heart rate increases.

Dr. House tells me that's my brain thinking my body is about to die, sending out electrical impulses to wake it up!

Back