Rosetta comet landing 2014

FSC_Lucidity

Veteran XX
After a 10½-year journey through the Solar System chasing Comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko (Comet C-G), the Rosetta spaceship is scheduled to deploy its lander, Philae. If all goes well, Philae will touch down on the comet's surface on Wednesday, Nov. 12, at approximately 11:02 a.m. Eastern Standard Time, according to the ESA. It would mark the first landing on a comet in human history.

http://rosetta.esa.int/

Last edited:
sounds like it landed

time to drill a hole and drop a nuke in it to save humanity

I COULD STAY AWAKE JUST TO HEAR YOU BREATHIN
89a2b3881f72485994e0a6ec4d2340be_600x400.jpg

It makes me sad that this isn't worldwide prime time shit. This is the most impressive technological feat humanity has accomplished in quite a long time.

It makes me sad that this isn't worldwide prime time shit. This is the most impressive technological feat humanity has accomplished in quite a long time.

Agreed, considering this mission has taken the better part of 20 years and a launch 10 years ago. with 10 year old technology and a one hour time lag in signal, they were able to place Nasa's Philae Vehicle onto the surface of a comet traveling at 41,000+ MPH. Exciting times.

Is this the one where Bruce Willis is in charge, and Morgan Freeman narrates? Because gott damm it's about time we landed on that badass comet.

sent from my TalkaTap using phone.

Wait, is Morgan Freeman supposed a be the president?

morgan freeman was president when that first comet hit us and we had to hide in the hills of west virginia

Agreed, considering this mission has taken the better part of 20 years and a launch 10 years ago. with 10 year old technology and a one hour time lag in signal, they were able to place Nasa's Philae Vehicle onto the surface of a comet traveling at 41,000+ MPH. Exciting times.

It's insane that Philae has no propulsion, they just plugged in the numbers and prayed. Picked a tiny spot on the comet, which they weren't even sure if it had boulders that they couldn't see, and gave it a little nudge toward it and it actually landed and hooked on.

Nevermind that this probe was launched 10 and a half years ago and actually arrived at the right time and place while going the correct speed to even meet up with the comet in the first place.

Really incredible stuff.

Not to worry. Ben Affleck will save us.

Oh SHIT!!!

Back