Phones suck right now eh?

aScotiA

Veteran XX
So my Nexus 6P bricked on me, bootlooping issue. It's fixable but it still needs to be replaced, which sucks because this phone kicks ass and I had no intentions of replacing it anytime soon. Sadly, they don't make them anymore.

After brushing up on what's available right now, I came to the conclusion that I was going to buy an unlocked Huawei Mate 9. It's basically the new and improved version of the 6P from what I can tell. After ordering it online and going to pick it up at Best Buy, I came to the realization that it won't work on most US carriers (I have Sprint).

So shit, I'm back to square one and I need to leave the store with something. After doing a bunch of research on the fly and soliciting the advice of various Best Buy nerds, I decided that a Pixel XL (not 2 XL) was the best option in their inventory. I've been using it for 3 days and even though the phone has performed well, I don't think I can bear to keep it. I always intended on waiting for the Pixel 2, but I'm unimpressed by the specs and pissed at Google for slowly morphing into Apple's business model.

The Mate 9 was the perfect choice. I would even consider the Huawei Honor 8 despite its size, but it's a no-go for the same reason. My next favorite choice was the OnePlus 5, except again, can't use it on fucking Sprint.

Samsung has lost me. I don't like the narrow, elongated screens or the "edge". iPhones are a non-starter. Not even going to fuck with LG or Moto.

What's a man to do?

Desired specs:

-Top of the line processor
-5.5"+ screen
-4GB+ RAM
-3400+ mAH battery (Mate 9 is 4000 mAH :()
-400+ ppi pixel density
-Excellent camera
-$700 or less (will pay more for the right fit)
-I will switch carriers if there's something too tempting to pass up.

The Mate 9 beats all that and only costs $500.

Is there anything I'm missing?

I guess it depends what you want/expect?

I have an S5 just through work and it does everything I want...takes good pictures, easy fast internet browsing, listen to music, read ebooks, GPS, the various random apps I use work great, and it even does the whole calling and texting thing too :jawdrop:

new toys are fun though I guess? Does it really make a huge difference in your daily life to have a slightly flashier phone? ;o

lost-your-cell-phone-funny-pictures.jpg

I guess it depends what you want/expect?

I have an S5 just through work and it does everything I want...takes good pictures, easy fast internet browsing, listen to music, read ebooks, GPS, the various random apps I use work great, and it even does the whole calling and texting thing too :jawdrop:

new toys are fun though I guess? Does it really make a huge difference in your daily life to have a slightly flashier phone? ;o

With the amount of utility I get from my phone, it's important to me that I get the most bang for my buck and get the best available technology. If I wanted the newest, flashiest gadget on the market, I'd buy and iPhone X and wave it around showing everyone how awesome I am. That's not my intention, barely anyone even knows the Nexus series of phones existed yet they were the some of the best phones on the market in the eyes of many.

Why settle for anything less than cutting edge when it often costs 30-50% less than the name brands?

And TKK, I did say I will switch carriers but the only complication to that is that I'm on a family plan with my wife and I don't know what the ultimate bottom line will be depending on whether or not we switch together, or go onto separate plans.

Last edited:
Lists specs for pixel XL

Doesn't wanna keep pixel XL

Lulz

You already have the right phone. Thread over.

Lists specs for pixel XL

Doesn't wanna keep pixel XL

Lulz

You already have the right phone. Thread over.
The main things that bother me so far

-Terrible, and I mean terrible speaker (singular)

-I don't like the glass back, one more thing to break.

-Slow charging

-Giant bezels that other manufacturers figured out how to eliminate

-It's almost outdated and there are better phones out there for much less money.

-Oh, and it looks like an iphone

The main things that bother me so far

-Terrible, and I mean terrible speaker (singular)

-I don't like the glass back, one more thing to break.

-Slow charging

-Giant bezels that other manufacturers figured out how to eliminate

-It's almost outdated and there are better phones out there for much less money.

-Oh, and it looks like an iphone
Is xl2 in budget?

It has 2 year warranty. Buy it. It's the best phone, even with shortcomings.

I looked into the 5T also and still no support on Sprint or Verizon from what I can tell.

Switching to AT&T appears to be a 50% monthly increase for similar service, so it's hard to justify ditching Sprint. Sigh.

Pixel 2 is such fucking trash what were they thinking with the bezels lmao

That phone should be on a deep discount.

I'd caution you not to look at phone battery size as the be all and end all

lots of YouTubers will run multiple phones side by side running same apps...biggest battery never seems to win

I think there are two mate 10s atm... essential phone has had some odd issues but the hardware is gorgeous...I went lgv30

Pixel 2 is such fucking trash what were they thinking with the bezels lmao

That phone should be on a deep discount.

there r 2 large front facing speakers in the bezel

sounds pretty good

also pure android oreo runs nice

All the flagships out right now have issues keeping me from paying full price.

I ended up getting a Moto G4 for $100 and it works just fine. Other one I was looking at was Axon ZTE 4 or whatever it's called. I'll wait until next year and maybe get the next Pixel, LG, or Samsung

Back