[OFN?] Pentagon Approves production of F-35

dooster said:
fuckin sweet. i love the fact that we have the l33test air force in the world but sometimes i wonder if some planes are practical. most of our current planes cant get shot down anyway, let alone new star trek ones.

also, what do you think would be more formidable/intimidating? a thousand flying fortresses ala ww2 or one b2 bomber (keeping nukes out of the discussion)? i bet they are comparable prices...

(i'm only half serious but it's jsut something funny to think about)

Yeah see in WWII there just wasn't much for guided weapons, the percentage of bombs that actually hit their intended target out of total bombs dropped in WWII is a retarded low number.

Now days one bomber can do the job that use to require 10 bombers.

We don't need to 'replace' the A-10 in terms of its entire feature set. The original intent of A-10 (killing a lot of tanks using its BFG) isn't really needed anymore. The 'hordes of Soviet T-72's rolling into west germany' scenario really isn't on the table anymore.

Like most new airplanes the secret to the -35 isn't in any immediately obvious whiz bang feature like maneuver thrust vectoring, but in what is under the hood - namely it's avionics and electronic/software systems. The Raptor (F-22) will be fun to fly but otherwise new planes won't really be, because 90% of the time they will be on autopilot.

dooster said:
most of our current planes cant get shot down anyway, let alone new star trek ones.
Only not, since the F-15C can manage only a bit better than a 1:1 kill/death ratio vs. a Su-30. The F-16 and F/A-18 are lower. The Rafale is slightly higher and the Eurofighter is somewhere around 9:1.

also, what do you think would be more formidable/intimidating? a thousand flying fortresses ala ww2 or one b2 bomber (keeping nukes out of the discussion)? i bet they are comparable prices...
I wonder which would be more intimidating? 16 bombs or 100,000 bombs?

And... uh...
<$100,000 is nowhere near $2,200,000,000

Kurayami said:
Only not, since the F-15C can manage only a bit better than a 1:1 kill/death ratio vs. a Su-30. The F-16 and F/A-18 are lower. The Rafale is slightly higher and the Eurofighter is somewhere around 9:1.

I wonder which would be more intimidating? 16 bombs or 100,000 bombs?

And... uh...
<$100,000 is nowhere near $2,200,000,000

And a B-2 is nowhere near 2,200,000 either. More like 800-900 million.

If you keep things in slightly saner orders of magnitude I'd take a single B-2's 80 500 lb smart weapons over say 20 B-17 Flying Fortresses (320 unguided 500 lb bombs).

Inquisitor[Inq] said:
And a B-2 is nowhere near 2,200,000 either. More like 800-900 million.
According to published data, the cost for procurement of the B-2 fleet worked out to 2.2B a pop.

GS says 2.1.
http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/systems/b-2-specs.htm

If you keep things in slightly saner orders of magnitude I'd take a single B-2's 80 500 lb smart weapons over say 20 B-17 Flying Fortresses (320 unguided 500 lb bombs).
I think that goes without saying. He asked about "intimidation" factor, though.

I have no idea why he would have chosen the weakest of the WW2 heavies. The B-24, B-29, and Lancaster all had much larger practical payloads. The B-17 could haul a whopping 4,000lb payload from the UK to Germany.

K-Rex said:
How do they determine the number designation? I was thinking about this yesterday and it doesn't seem to make any since?

F-86's from years ago and now F-35's?
?

Kur?

Yeah 20 bombers dropping shit loads of bombs can be intimidating.

But personally not ever seeing the bomber, not knowing its coming, not getting a chance to shoot back at it, scares me a hell of a lot more.

Kurayami said:
According to published data, the cost for procurement of the B-2 fleet worked out to 2.2B a pop.

GS says 2.1.
http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/systems/b-2-specs.htm

2.1 is the official cost when you include cost for primary engineering, EMD, and other low rate of initial production (LRIP) fees. The problem is they were supposed to order two hundred B-2's, they cut it to 20. THe actual incremental cost would have been a lot lower if they had ordered anywhere near the initial volume they planned.

Kurayami said:
I think that goes without saying. He asked about "intimidation" factor, though.

I have no idea why he would have chosen the weakest of the WW2 heavies. The B-24, B-29, and Lancaster all had much larger practical payloads. The B-17 could haul a whopping 4,000lb payload from the UK to Germany.

A B-24 still only hauls about 800 lbs more than a B-17. B-29 you are starting to get there - half the payload of a B-2.

K-Rex said:
That's what the A-10 is for DV. Dropping bombs stealth like.

Ignorance, sarcasm, and trolling are one thing.

But you're just making yourself sound stupid.

K-Rex said:
Because the US has used about 5 designation schemes since the Army first started flying aircraft in a cohesive manner in the '20s. They Army/AF generally used a (role)Model(revision) scheme (ex: P-38J (and that can be carried into blocks and whatnot)) while the navy did (role)Manufacturer's model #(manufactuer letter code)revision (ex: F4U-1D. U = Vought.)

In the '60s, they decided to standardize this. A lot of aircraft were renamed. Since then, they have been using numbers in sequence, which probably confuses people because of projects that aren't widely known (A-9 and A-12, for example.) There are relics like the B-52 that retained their original designations.

K-Rex said:
How do they determine the number designation? I was thinking about this yesterday and it doesn't seem to make any since?

F-86's from years ago and now F-35's?

They are nominally in order, or have been for quite a while. Skips happen when programs get dropped. The jump from F-22 to F-35 happened though because someone high up in the pentagon who was in charge of the acquisition made a dumb mistake as to what the last number produced actually had been =p

Kurayami said:

How many nations out there have an over-abundance of Su-30's and skilled pilots to fly them? And the electronic warfare support?

You know damn well the F-15's dont go in there alone...they have Prowler/awacs/etc support skewing things in their favor.

I'm not against the developement of new military hardware. It's better then sending the money to inner city school niglets anyways. Makes for better desktop wallpaper. But there isnt much out there the current airforce can't handle when you figure we dont really fight wars anymore, but rather bullshit policing actions where you dont need to blow up a squadron of migs but rather Ahkmed in an outhouse.

what are they retrofitting on A-10's... just the avionics packages?
Would be nice if they could give them a huge overhaul and make them fly by wire

El Mariachi said:
what are they retrofitting on A-10's... just the avionics packages?
Would be nice if they could give them a huge overhaul and make them fly by wire

A huge part of their survivability is in the redundant physical control systems.

Inquisitor[Inq] said:
A B-24 still only hauls about 800 lbs more than a B-17. B-29 you are starting to get there - half the payload of a B-2.
That depends entirely upon what figure you use. The B-17 could fly a 17,000lb payload over very short distances. For all intents and purposes, though, it was limited to ~4,000 pounds for long range activity.

The B-24 could haul almost ~13,000 pounds with considerably less difficulty. The longer the range, the lower the payload, but the B-24 could be tasked to put more bombs on target than the B-17 if all things were equal.

Of course, the B-24 was less survivable in general.

CombatWombat said:
How many nations out there have an over-abundance of Su-30's and skilled pilots to fly them? And the electronic warfare support?
India, China, and Russia at the moment.

You know damn well the F-15's dont go in there alone...they have Prowler/awacs/etc support skewing things in their favor.
Nor would any country with enough money to field Su-30s.

The figures I cited came from an international test using actual pilots provided by each country and fought under realistic conditions.

But there isnt much out there the current airforce can't handle when you figure we dont really fight wars anymore, but rather bullshit policing actions where you dont need to blow up a squadron of migs but rather Ahkmed in an outhouse.
With the Russians selling high end gear to anyone that will buy it and various other countries pirating technology (China's J-10, which incorporates a boat load of F-16 tech thanks to the Israelis, for example) and developing things internally, you had better believe there is a threat. Don't forget Europe. The French sold the Mirage to anybody that would buy it and they have been shopping the Rafale around. The Swedes also have a very solid and modern contender in the Gripen, which is making a lot of headway in poorer nations (including Africa.)

Americans have this bizzare misconception that American equipment dominates everything. It's like they completely forget WW2 (where American technology trailed far behind the Germans and even British,) and the early cold war (where the Soviets were kicking NATO's ass and doing it cheaply. MiG-15s over Korea? T-64s?) People only seem to remember the last 30 years or so where the US pulled ahead of everyone else in military tech because it had the deepest coffers.

They also fail to realize that most of the first world has all but caught up within the past decade. Leo 2A6 vs M1A2? Eurofighter vs F-22? Hell, the Swedes have submarines that have penetrated American carrier group defenses.

Back